Hospital Food Choices Made Easier

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My friend’s son was recently in a Hampshire hospital and she said she thought of me when she saw the nutritional info available for each food choice! Would make life so much easier to make lower carb (I’m reluctant to say low carb!) choices when in hospital. I hope more hospitals start using this system.

325777F4-6281-4D30-8306-52A5AEFDDD7E.jpeg

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Can't argue that it's a step in the right direction, but would like to see the total in the meal ?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't argue that it's a step in the right direction, but would like to see the total in the meal ?
I guess for each element you select you’ll get the relevant info. Maybe they need to provide a calculator too in case maths isn’t your strong point! ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What does "Picture is for illustration purposes only" mean? What other use is there for a picture?

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What does "Picture is for illustration purposes only" mean? What other use is there for a picture?
It's probably because the food doesn't look like the picture when served ha ha

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I had another impromptu day in a Hampshire hospital (not the one above as there were no fancy digital food menus). Interestingly when shown a menu (which I didn’t get to eat) they had every dietary option going except low carb as a separately available menu. The lad taking orders when I asked for low carb options offered sandwiches or jacket potatoes .

Other food staff then informed me they did also have a special low carb menu as it had been asked for increasingly but hadn’t listed it yet and would let me have it if I was still there later. They also hadn’t considered how useful knowing ingredients could be and would put that suggestion forward as another card to be made available along with the nutritional content they also have. All of these non standard menus and carss need to be asked for.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I had another impromptu day in a Hampshire hospital (not the one above as there were no fancy digital food menus). Interestingly when shown a menu (which I didn’t get to eat) they had every dietary option going except low carb as a separately available menu. The lad taking orders when I asked for low carb options offered sandwiches or jacket potatoes .

Other food staff then informed me they did also have a special low carb menu as it had been asked for increasingly but hadn’t listed it yet and would let me have it if I was still there later. They also hadn’t considered how useful knowing ingredients could be and would put that suggestion forward as another card to be made available along with the nutritional content they also have. All of these non standard menus and carss need to be asked for.

It seems Hampshire is way ahead of other areas in this respect.
Hoping you are OK after your impromptu day in hospital.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems Hampshire is way ahead of other areas in this respect.
Hoping you are OK after your impromptu day in hospital.
It does look promising but I didn’t actually test out what they thought was low carb so optimistic is the way I’m looking at it. The hospital sacked burger king and installed an m&s cafe so I sent my companion rollioto shopping before I saw any menus.

Kind of ok. Weird atypical migraine a much better outcome than stroke or lesions! 35 yrs of them being one way and now a very different experience that I hope clears off or I find a way to handle better. Need referral to neuro though.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently learned that those on a GF diet have an a la carte option in my area. Whilst GF is a total pain, I'll buy that silver lining should ever I need it.