Dvla licence renewal taking ages

danbobpat

Hi have to renew my driving licence every 3 years due to type 1 diabetes. I have had my licence for over 20 years and this is the first time I have had to wait 9 months and still waiting for a decision and reissue. I haven’t had any issues with my diabetes. I haven’t had any hospital admissions or hypos were I couldn’t treat myself. I test before so drive. Is anyone else having these problems. Very frustrating.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi have to renew my driving licence every 3 years due to type 1 diabetes. I have had my licence for over 20 years and this is the first time I have had to wait 9 months and still waiting for a decision and reissue. I haven’t had any issues with my diabetes. I haven’t had any hospital admissions or hypos were I couldn’t treat myself. I test before so drive. Is anyone else having these problems. Very frustrating.

Gosh, that's a long wait. Have you heard from them, or chased them at all, to find out what the issue might be? Do you know they definitely have your renewal application?

danbobpat

I’ve chased them numerous times and also my GP who isn’t always reliable. They definitely have my application. They have had problems getting my doctors to fill in questionnaires. Not sure what I can do about it. I’ll chase the DVLA again tomorrow. Never had my issues before with them.

D

Deleted Account

I have not had any problems with DVLA. My last driving license was renewed within less than a month of my application in December.
It sounds as if your doctor is the problem if the DVLA have problems getting them to complete the questionnaire.
If you contact the DVLA, I would get as much information as possible about what they are waiting for from your doctor and when they requested it. Then, I would chase my doctor.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I've had many problems with them, I always send everything recorded delivery, they don't sign, but at least I have proof I sent it. As I understand it if you haven't been told you may not drive, then you may continue to drive for up to 1 year whilst your application is processed. If time is running low your MP/MPs office will be able to chase it up for you.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve chased them numerous times and also my GP who isn’t always reliable. They definitely have my application. They have had problems getting my doctors to fill in questionnaires. Not sure what I can do about it. I’ll chase the DVLA again tomorrow. Never had my issues before with them.

I’d chase your Doctors first.

DVLA can’t progress the application without the correct paperwork.

DVLA Medical branch do not deliberately take ages, but they can’t spend all their time chasing people to provide the correct paperwork.