1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dvla licence renewal taking ages

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by danbobpat, Jun 16, 2019.

1. danbobpat

danbobpat · Member

Hi have to renew my driving licence every 3 years due to type 1 diabetes. I have had my licence for over 20 years and this is the first time I have had to wait 9 months and still waiting for a decision and reissue. I haven’t had any issues with my diabetes. I haven’t had any hospital admissions or hypos were I couldn’t treat myself. I test before so drive. Is anyone else having these problems. Very frustrating.

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Gosh, that's a long wait. Have you heard from them, or chased them at all, to find out what the issue might be? Do you know they definitely have your renewal application?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. danbobpat

danbobpat · Member

I’ve chased them numerous times and also my GP who isn’t always reliable. They definitely have my application. They have had problems getting my doctors to fill in questionnaires. Not sure what I can do about it. I’ll chase the DVLA again tomorrow. Never had my issues before with them.

4. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

I have not had any problems with DVLA. My last driving license was renewed within less than a month of my application in December.
    It sounds as if your doctor is the problem if the DVLA have problems getting them to complete the questionnaire.
    If you contact the DVLA, I would get as much information as possible about what they are waiting for from your doctor and when they requested it. Then, I would chase my doctor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Grumpy ole thing

Grumpy ole thing Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had many problems with them, I always send everything recorded delivery, they don't sign, but at least I have proof I sent it. As I understand it if you haven't been told you may not drive, then you may continue to drive for up to 1 year whilst your application is processed. If time is running low your MP/MPs office will be able to chase it up for you.

6. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’d chase your Doctors first.

DVLA can’t progress the application without the correct paperwork.

DVLA Medical branch do not deliberately take ages, but they can’t spend all their time chasing people to provide the correct paperwork.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook