T2s in 'remission' - what is your max carbs per day? Any complications?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
My carb level is between 30 - 50g per day along with Metformin. That keeps my HbA1c consistently mid 30s. @IronLioness your tiredness might be as a result of a higher than desired blood sugar. What are you finger prick tests showing, indeed do you self test at all? The only way I know my control is consistent is to test (not as often as I used to mind) to keep tabs on any trends.
With regards to your eye, I would get that checked out with you GP.

Yep, I test all the while, I just wondered what folks maintained remission in. My last count was 41 so I'm keep to keep in it, but I've noticed since I've been diagnosed, and specifically, more recently, I've had really bad 'ice pick' type headaches which don't always shift with paracetamols, and then also this darn eye which sometimes gets stingy/watery. I'll go to the docs and check it all out though.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
@IronLioness , my carb levels vary. I've been under 40 for 5 and a half y ears, and around 30 for the last 5 years. I had mild changes in one eye last year, which when checked by a recommended optomitrist (recommended by an Consultant Opthalmic Surgeon friend) about 2 weeks later were not to be seen. Whatever was seen was either a photographic artifact or had healed.

These days, I just watch what I eat, and ensure I don't push the metaphorical carb envelope. I don't test every meal, but test several times a week - especially after I have had some carbs, just to ensure my numbers aren't climbing in the background.

This is, I'm afraid, another of these areas where you have to deceide for yourself how you will live for the longer term and where your personal tolerances lie.

Yep, you're absolutely right, I need to figure out the longer term picture. I do lots of exercise and have cut out sugar sweets etc (haven't touched a wine gum since diagnosis, which is a total win for me!), but in general, diet is protein and vegetables which make up the carbs. I do have a protein bar each day which is 15-20g, but it's done before I smash through a big workout and no other snacks are had, except vegetables. I think on average I'm around 60-80 a day, mostly all veg. Just wondering how the folks that do less that 30 do it long term. I might go down that route if it's doable.

M

Member496333

Jim can I get your advice, how the deuce do you do that? My carbs mainly come from vegetables at the moment, no fruit, just vegetables, but I'd struggle on 5g a day I think, although it'd probably be better for me. How on earth do you do it? do you eat veg? or just gone hardcore and cut then out? Sorry, lots of questions, just trying to work out what I can do long term to manage this.

Well I’m not going to offer dietary advice, but yeah I can sure tell you how I do it. I now eat a pretty much all-animal diet. Red meat, organs (lots of), poultry, fish, eggs, dairy. Mostly no vegetables except maybe if I’m making a chilli once a fortnight. No fruit and definitely no grains. I do eat mushrooms but they don’t contain cellulose and so aren’t classed as plants.

Currently this is working very well for me and I feel amazing. Most certainly it won’t suit everyone, though.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I don’t count in the typical sense but at a guess I’m rolling at probably 5g per day on average. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. All from dairy - cream, butter and cheese. I have no idea how much I could get away with if I tried, as I choose to abstain and I’m very happy and satisfied with my food choices as they are.
What is a ketogenic hypercarnivore diet? Does it allow low carbohydrate vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, mushrooms, courgettes?

M

Member496333

What is a ketogenic hypercarnivore diet? Does it allow low carbohydrate vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, mushrooms, courgettes?

Ketogenic just means it maintains ketosis. Hypercarnivore means high-carnivore, or mostly animal products. There’s no rules, really. Right now I’m pretty much zero plants, but that’s not to say I’ll never eat another vegetable, so I prefer the hypercarnivore classification, as it indicates some flexibility.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Ketogenic just means it maintains ketosis. Hypercarnivore means high-carnivore, or mostly animal products. There’s no rules, really. Right now I’m pretty much zero plants, but that’s not to say I’ll never eat another vegetable, so I prefer the hypercarnivore classification, as it indicates some flexibility.
Cheers. It's just I've felt I must always include some vegetables into my LCHF diet, but my blood sugars are remarkably better when I leave them out completely. It was as though I thought I would die of a nutrient deficiency if I left them out. Well, I will join you for a season. Another ketogenic hypercarnivore. Vegetables are officially off the menu.

M

Member496333

Cheers. It's just I've felt I must always include some vegetables into my LCHF diet, but my blood sugars are remarkably better when I leave them out completely. I will join you for a season. Another ketogenic hypercarnivore. Vegetables are officially off the menu.

You should be mindful if giving up vegetables that you need to ensure you’re getting lots of vitamins and minerals from the carnivore side of things. This should pretty much be a given anyway, but personally I make sure that I eat lots of eggs and organ meats. Organs are packed with more nutrients than you’re ever likely to get from a ton of vegetables.

As with anything like this, you’re encouraged to consider everything carefully. Please don’t follow someone else blindly into a diet that may not suit you.

Reactions: IronLioness

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You should be mindful if giving up vegetables that you need to ensure you’re getting lots of vitamins and minerals from the carnivore side of things. This should pretty much be a given anyway, but personally I make sure that I eat lots of eggs and organ meats. Organs are packed with more nutrients than you’re ever likely to get from a ton of vegetables.

As with anything like this, you’re encouraged to consider everything carefully. Please don’t follow someone else blindly into a diet that may not suit you.
Thanks for your concern. I'm not blind, just desperate to stay off insulin. I'm also happy to work with a nutritionist. Just email for another appointment.

M

Member496333

Thanks for your concern. I'm not blind, just desperate to stay off insulin. I'm also happy to work with a nutritionist. Just email for another appointment.

If you are type 1 as your profile suggests, then you will need insulin regardless. Certainly as time passes anyway.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
If you are type 1 as your profile suggests, then you will need insulin regardless. Certainly as time passes anyway.
They could be wrong. I'm not on insulin yet. Only time will tell.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I eat everything Jim eats, but cycle in strawberries (2 to 3), raspberries (5 to 6), blueberries(3 to 4) and blackberries (5 to 6). When I have vegetables these are asparagus, toms, broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes. I stretch to carrots and butternut squash, both of which (in fact all) should be tested for the individual. I also have nuts and cheese.

In your shoes I would be closer to 50 grams per day than 100.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bb do you have any vegetables at all? or you're literally just proteins?
At the moment not really.. been almost exclusively animal for the past year (exceptions would be a few raspberries every so often and some 85% cocoa chocolate again not daily)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm currently in remission, as they call it, but ave between 40-100g carbs a day at most.

noun: remission - a temporary diminution of the severity of disease or pain.

As my diabetes is mostly caused by insulin resistance (c-pep in normal range, IR changeable and always greater than 1), I can't say I'm in remission. I have to keep below 50gms carb a day and even eggs can cause a small blip in BG.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, you're absolutely right, I need to figure out the longer term picture. I do lots of exercise and have cut out sugar sweets etc (haven't touched a wine gum since diagnosis, which is a total win for me!), but in general, diet is protein and vegetables which make up the carbs. I do have a protein bar each day which is 15-20g, but it's done before I smash through a big workout and no other snacks are had, except vegetables. I think on average I'm around 60-80 a day, mostly all veg. Just wondering how the folks that do less that 30 do it long term. I might go down that route if it's doable.

You must be eating massive amounts of veg to get that much of a carb intake. Are you eating below ground veg too?

At the moment I’m almost completely animal flesh carnivore and have been for over two months but for the past 11 years kept more or less to 20g a day with meat, dairy and some green veg and mushrooms. It has varied but I don’t think I’ve ever achieved 50g a day apart from the first years when I did what everybody does and tries to substitute with low carb options such as bread and sweet treats.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am drug induced in particular prednisolone but despite that you could consider me to be in remission as my blood sugars are usually at normal levels though my dosage of (and how its effecting me which can be erratic at times) prednisolone does determine somewhat the state of my diabetes.

I tend to keep my carbs to between 40 to 80 grams a day now though at one time it was 30 to 50 grams per day.

When diagnosed I had background retinopathy, neuropathy in fact it was my reporting a loss of sensation in my feet and hands to my neurologist that eventually led to diagnosis of diabetes and I had reduced kidney function

Background retinopathy is now gone thanks to reduced Blood sugar levels.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5-10g per day, wowzah!!! Ok, can I get your advice on diet.... how do you do that? what do you eat? literally just protein or or or? so many questions, haha, sorry! Genuinely fascinated as I tried 20-30g a day at the start and that meant cutting vegetables out, which I found v v v v v hard. :-(

Advice appreciated. :)

Hi there. Sorry for delay in getting back to you, not been online very much the past few days.

I’m practically carnivore these days. By that I mean that my food intake is pretty much limited to animal based produce - meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, cream. Alongside that are a few items like nuts, high percentage cocoa (90%+) chocolate, nut butter and onions. I love onions, but they need to be taken in small quantities to avoid BG spikes.

It’s a way of eating I enjoy and which I thrive on - more energy, virtually no bloating. I like veg but am very happy not eating them. If I could ditch the nuts and chocolate I would, but that’s a difficult one for me.

The key really is finding something that you feel you can sustain and importantly you enjoy.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Well I’m not going to offer dietary advice, but yeah I can sure tell you how I do it. I now eat a pretty much all-animal diet. Red meat, organs (lots of), poultry, fish, eggs, dairy. Mostly no vegetables except maybe if I’m making a chilli once a fortnight. No fruit and definitely no grains. I do eat mushrooms but they don’t contain cellulose and so aren’t classed as plants.

Currently this is working very well for me and I feel amazing. Most certainly it won’t suit everyone, though.

Thanks Jim, really good to see other approaches, I'm still in learning and tweaking mode. I have a similar approach to yours, not with the vegetables, but with fruit, I've literally removed it from my diet. I do keep the vegetables in there but I monitor what I eat during the day and make sure it's relative to the overall food consumption. I stick to meat or fish and vegetables or salad as my staple foods. I don't eat fruit anymore at all, not even an apple, I prefer using my carbs on vegetables, they seem to do better for me when I checked my BG levels post food.

Reactions: Member496333

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Are you having enough salt? I add it to coffee to ensure I get enough..

Yep, so I went to the Doc yesterday to check on my eyes, I saw both the D nurse and she got 2nd opinion from my doc, apparently she had to get him to do the actual check with the light-flash thingy (I don't know the technical term). They both said the eyes look fine, no concerns, so go get myself an eye check as the ice pick headaches may be connected to changes over the years. Hmm.... I'll keep an eye (no pun intended, doh!) on it all and just keep on track with low carb/low sugar living, and hope I keep the bad stuff at bay.