JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The last moth I ate still had it wings flapping nice and fresh, it's surprising what you will do for a bet when drunk the American marine who was the other participant in the bet was unable to eat his so I had to consume it for him.

At least some insects such as some of the species of termites have vitamin B12 and plenty of protein so would at least be reasonably healthy diet unfortunately the common house fly has undetectable amounts of B12 so probably not so good to eat.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As someone with an interest in Biology, and living in the same house since 1981 I have been watching the climate change for decades - plus I have read and heard about catastrophic population crashes when day length and temperatures become mismatches - so that, for instance, birds do not find foods for their chicks when they have hatched them. That includes such things as insect larvae and sand eels.
If locust swarms become common it would be a good idea to collect and process them as food for poultry, as chickens in particular are quite expensive to feed, if people are not keen on the idea of eating locust, chickens are highly enthusiastic.

Reactions: Prem51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aren’t shrimps and prawns the marine equivalent of the insect class?

D

Deleted member 308541

If locust swarms become common it would be a good idea to collect and process them as food for poultry, as chickens in particular are quite expensive to feed, if people are not keen on the idea of eating locust, chickens are highly enthusiastic.
In north west Queensland we get swarms of big grass hoppers, the local bird life like them particularly the plains turkey or Australian Bustard eat them with relish.

I know several people who have eaten these birds that gorged on grasshoppers and the flesh gets a funny taste to it and not nice to eat.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As someone with an interest in Biology, and living in the same house since 1981 I have been watching the climate change for decades - plus I have read and heard about catastrophic population crashes when day length and temperatures become mismatches - so that, for instance, birds do not find foods for their chicks when they have hatched them. That includes such things as insect larvae and sand eels.
Having driven through a locust swarm on several occasions, and having seen the mess they make on the windscreen and radiator, then I have no desire to consume these beasties. Same goes for yellowjackets. Nope!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In north west Queensland we get swarms of big grass hoppers, the local bird life like them particularly the plains turkey or Australian Bustard eat them with relish.

I know several people who have eaten these birds that gorged on grasshoppers and the flesh gets a funny taste to it and not nice to eat.
Oi. Swearing...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty much. Crustaceans and Insects aren’t quite the same thing, but are sister subgroups of the Arthropod classification.
Yeah, so we gorge ourselves on shrimps and prawns....

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To get back on topic, I envisage we will soon be seeing severe curbs on fishing quotas, more Marine preservation areas, and return to the Icelandic Cod Wars. Unfortunately attempts to farm fish have been shown to be detrimental to the environment, so that is not a viable solution to the problem. Cessation of demand to preserve stocks will be next IMO.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To get back on topic, I envisage we will soon be seeing severe curbs on fishing quotas, more Marine preservation areas, and return to the Icelandic Cod Wars. Unfortunately attempts to farm fish have been shown to be detrimental to the environment, so that is not a viable solution to the problem. Cessation of demand to preserve stocks will be next IMO.
Fish nurseries can be and are being established in overfished areas. Not so much fish farming but providing the means of allowing the fish to regenerate in depleted areas.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
I'll consider eating foods made from insects AFTER more complete nutritional analyses are available , but not until then.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You probably have eaten cochineal unknowingly. It's used as food colouring in many foods and drinks, and in lipstick. It will be listed in ingredients as E120.

I can remember it being listed as cochineal, I think in particular on the little bottles of food colouring, As a very little girl I thought it was a very exotic name!

Robbity

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You probably have eaten cochineal unknowingly. It's used as food colouring in many foods and drinks, and in lipstick. It will be listed in ingredients as E120.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43786055

View attachment 33790
By not knowingly I mean that I would not eat a food after being told it had bug powder in it. And besides, there is nothing in that picture that I would eat, my saying was 'no orange food from orange boxes'. Perhaps I should have said red.