Omnipod issues...

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Not sure how much longer I'm going to last on the pod... I'm having to change every other day and rarely getting the full 3 days out of a pod, seems like I'm constantly changing and it's getting on my nerves... I'm on steroids and my insulin requirements have gone up alot... I love the fact that it's tubeless but I hate how much I'm having to change now, I changed my Pod last night and had previously changed it the day before! :(
Are medtronic the only one with the larger reservoirs? And the accuchek combo... I've had both

D

Deleted Account

@ohitsnicola sorry to read about your frustrations.
Can you explain why you are having to change your pods so often?
Is it a capacity problem or is there another issue?

D

Deleted member 83869

Sorry, I should have said that. Yes, I am changing so often because I am running out of insulin too quickly :(
@ohitsnicola sorry to read about your frustrations.
Can you explain why you are having to change your pods so often?
Is it a capacity problem or is there another issue?

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I was very impressed with the reviews for the Omnipod, but like you I consume a lot of insulin each day.

If you are thinking of moving to another pump, I beseech you to look at the Tandem t:slim X2. It has a 300u reservoir and is very small compared to a lot of the other pumps.

If you would like to stay with a patch pump, like the Omnipod, you could try talking to your Diabetes Team about using R200 insulin in your pod.

Officially the manufacturers will say that you should not use R200 or R300 insulin in their pumps, but I know of several people whose Diabetes team have allowed them to do just that, but it is all off the record.

R200 would mean that if your calculations say that you need to inject 20 units, then you would only need 10 units of R200.

The adjustment is very simple, as you just half what you normally take, however.... You DO need to be careful about what you are doing. Just one lapse of concentration could result in you putting in too much.

D

Deleted member 83869

Thank you for your reply... I Have been seeing people mention the tslim and starting to look it up now.
I emailed my DSN today but haven't had a reply yet... Don't want to seem like I'm a nuisance as I have only been on the pod for A year now.

D

Deleted member 83869

The tslim doesn't have a linked meter???
I was very impressed with the reviews for the Omnipod, but like you I consume a lot of insulin each day.

If you are thinking of moving to another pump, I beseech you to look at the Tandem t:slim X2. It has a 300u reservoir and is very small compared to a lot of the other pumps.

If you would like to stay with a patch pump, like the Omnipod, you could try talking to your Diabetes Team about using R200 insulin in your pod.

Officially the manufacturers will say that you should not use R200 or R300 insulin in their pumps, but I know of several people whose Diabetes team have allowed them to do just that, but it is all off the record.

R200 would mean that if your calculations say that you need to inject 20 units, then you would only need 10 units of R200.

The adjustment is very simple, as you just half what you normally take, however.... You DO need to be careful about what you are doing. Just one lapse of concentration could result in you putting in too much.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
No, the t slim is a tubed pump.
It doesn't have a separate pdm.
All of the data is displayed on the colour touch screen on the pump itself.

That includes the graphical data fron the CGM, if you have one. The G6 CGM sensor is not normally available on the NHS (although I have heard that some people have been issued it). So most people have to self-fund the CGM, which costs a out £159 a month.

I believe that a phone app is on the cards for the future. There is an associated website where you can share your data with your team.

D

Deleted member 83869

Yeah I know its a tubed pump, but the other 2 tubed pumps I had, had a Blood meter which spoke to the pump. I have spoken to my DSN who says I need to make an urgent appointment with my consultant... Waiting for a response from the secretary.
I can't afford the dexcom. I have the libre but know that isn't compatible

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I have the Libre on prescription.
I also have a MiaoMiao transmitter which has improved the information I get from my Libre hugely.
I use the MiaoMiao in conjunction with software called xDrip+. It has greatly improved my readings.

However, I have told my DSN that if I get the t:slim X2 then I will find the £159 a month for the G6 CGM system.
(it will mean having to make quite a few changes to my budget, but I think it will be worth it).

Do you know why your consultant needs to see you urgently?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
At first it looked like I would need to change my pump every 2 days so my endo prescribed Humalog 200 for my pod. It turned out it wasn't needed but I just stayed with it as it was working fine. So filled to capacity that would give you 400 units worth of insulin. I believe there is even a stronger one out there now.

You do have to change your programming to different ratios when you switch, it's nice to have someone that knows what they're doing to help with that.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Thanks Marie 2.
Some Endo's are a bit braver than others I think. Glad that it worked out well for you.

D

Deleted member 83869

I think it's because I am running high so much not too sure
I have the Libre on prescription.
I also have a MiaoMiao transmitter which has improved the information I get from my Libre hugely.
I use the MiaoMiao in conjunction with software called xDrip+. It has greatly improved my readings.

However, I have told my DSN that if I get the t:slim X2 then I will find the £159 a month for the G6 CGM system.
(it will mean having to make quite a few changes to my budget, but I think it will be worth it).

Do you know why your consultant needs to see you urgently?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ohitsnicola - Are you going to be on steroids long term, or is this to get you over a bit of a medical bump in the road?

D

Deleted member 83869

Long term for now...my dermatology appointment isn't until 29th August, and without them I flare up so bad... I Still flare on the steroids but nowhere near as bad
@ohitsnicola - Are you going to be on steroids long term, or is this to get you over a bit of a medical bump in the road?

D

Deleted member 83869

Will find out about the steroids tomorrow now, hospital secretary managed to get me an emergency appointment with the dermatologist for tomorrow! Instead of the end of August!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will find out about the steroids tomorrow now, hospital secretary managed to get me an emergency appointment with the dermatologist for tomorrow! Instead of the end of August!

Ooooh. That's a result. That secretary sounds like a keeper. Let us know how you get on tomorrow.