Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys girls
45 years type 1
Been given funding for omnipod
Apprehensive of it, don't know what to expect ?
Can anyone advise please.
I'm 53 had type 1 since 6 year old.

D

Deleted Account

The OmniPod is too expensive for my CCG to offer so I have no personal experience.
However, there have been quite a few threads about OmniPod recently.
If you use the Search function at the top right of the page, you will find other threads discussing pros and cons.
I also recommend having a look at YouTube for some videos about the pump

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys girls
45 years type 1
Been given funding for omnipod
Apprehensive of it, don't know what to expect ?
Can anyone advise please.
I'm 53 had type 1 since 6 year old.

Sweetbinty, from memory @Mel dCP and @himtoo are using Omnipods. @ohitsnicola is also on that at the moment I think.

There'll be others who comment I'm sure.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got the test kit to try from Omnipod, just found it too big to handle on a day-to-day basis with the exercise etc I do. I have the libre with the miaomiao and that can be annoying sometimes by the size of it. The omnipod is much bigger.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I love my Omnipod, it’s the next best thing to having an actual pancreas, I reckon! It’s so discreet and small I often forget where I’ve placed it - and end up doing a pat down to find the thing. And no tubes to catch on anything, too. Only takes five minutes to change, it’s brilliant. The remote control is a bit clunky, but my control is so much better than MDI :)

D

Deleted member 83869

Yes I have the Omnipod it's my favourite pump so far and I've had the 640g and accuchek combo. The only issue I have at the moment is that it only holds 200u and I'm having to change every other day instead of every 3 days, because my insulin requirement is very high at the moment. Other than that I love it
Sweetbinty, from memory @Mel dCP and @himtoo are using Omnipods. @ohitsnicola is also on that at the moment I think.

There'll be others who comment I'm sure.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Sweetbinty
I know we are all different so our experiences will differ and our preferences too....... but i can honestly say that going with omnipod after 43 years on injections has been the best change ever for me ( 4 years on omnipod )
it is hard work like any pump but the freedom is well ....like freedom --- ( for 3 days at a time \)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thank you so much for the response
How easy is the transition
i could lie and say it is easy but for me it was difficult at first --for reasons that i shall detail

1 -- trust -- this was the biggest for me -- trusting that a little "gadget" would do better than me at controlling blood sugars and this was what caused me to want to throw my pump away after 3 days -- i just did not think it was as good as me

2 - settings -- this is really important and i believe my DSN did an excellent job in that we started really low in terms of basal rates and after much basal rate testing over a number of weeks built up to the rates that i pretty much use now ( minor variations )
but this meant i had 2 weeks of bg's in the low teens most days as we gradually moved basal rates up together

3 - fear -- it was drummed into me by my DSN and the rep that on a pump there is no "grace period" -- if insulin isnt being delivered BG's will shoot up very quickly -- so being on guard is really important -- unless you dont mind a missed failure and bg levels of 20 +

after about 6 weeks things had settled down and i was cruising along nicely and I have been ever since -- of course there are blips but Diabetes is like that no matter what we use to control our BG's

hope this helps