1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Omnipod pros & cons

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Sweetbinty, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Sweetbinty

Sweetbinty Type 1 · Active Member

Hi guys girls
    45 years type 1
    Been given funding for omnipod
    Apprehensive of it, don't know what to expect ?
    Can anyone advise please.
    I'm 53 had type 1 since 6 year old.

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

The OmniPod is too expensive for my CCG to offer so I have no personal experience.
    However, there have been quite a few threads about OmniPod recently.
    If you use the Search function at the top right of the page, you will find other threads discussing pros and cons.
    I also recommend having a look at YouTube for some videos about the pump

3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Sweetbinty, from memory @Mel dCP and @himtoo are using Omnipods. @ohitsnicola is also on that at the moment I think.

There'll be others who comment I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I got the test kit to try from Omnipod, just found it too big to handle on a day-to-day basis with the exercise etc I do. I have the libre with the miaomiao and that can be annoying sometimes by the size of it. The omnipod is much bigger.

5. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I love my Omnipod, it’s the next best thing to having an actual pancreas, I reckon! It’s so discreet and small I often forget where I’ve placed it - and end up doing a pat down to find the thing. And no tubes to catch on anything, too. Only takes five minutes to change, it’s brilliant. The remote control is a bit clunky, but my control is so much better than MDI :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ohitsnicola

ohitsnicola Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I have the Omnipod it's my favourite pump so far and I've had the 640g and accuchek combo. The only issue I have at the moment is that it only holds 200u and I'm having to change every other day instead of every 3 days, because my insulin requirement is very high at the moment. Other than that I love it

7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

• Like Like x 1
  8. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

@Sweetbinty
    I know we are all different so our experiences will differ and our preferences too....... but i can honestly say that going with omnipod after 43 years on injections has been the best change ever for me ( 4 years on omnipod )
    it is hard work like any pump but the freedom is well ....like freedom --- ( for 3 days at a time \)

9. Sweetbinty

Sweetbinty Type 1 · Active Member

Thank you so much for the response
    How easy is the transition

• Like Like x 1
  10. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

i could lie and say it is easy but for me it was difficult at first --for reasons that i shall detail

1 -- trust -- this was the biggest for me -- trusting that a little "gadget" would do better than me at controlling blood sugars and this was what caused me to want to throw my pump away after 3 days -- i just did not think it was as good as me

2 - settings -- this is really important and i believe my DSN did an excellent job in that we started really low in terms of basal rates and after much basal rate testing over a number of weeks built up to the rates that i pretty much use now ( minor variations )
    but this meant i had 2 weeks of bg's in the low teens most days as we gradually moved basal rates up together

3 - fear -- it was drummed into me by my DSN and the rep that on a pump there is no "grace period" -- if insulin isnt being delivered BG's will shoot up very quickly -- so being on guard is really important -- unless you dont mind a missed failure and bg levels of 20 +

after about 6 weeks things had settled down and i was cruising along nicely and I have been ever since -- of course there are blips but Diabetes is like that no matter what we use to control our BG's

hope this helps

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook