Was it most likely an error?

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so I checked my blood 1 hours after my meal it was 7.4, completely normal

Then 1.5 hrs later I checked 8.9 so was very surprised as I rarely get those numbers.

So I check 30 mins later, and it was 5.1 mmol.

So was that 8.9 most likely an error?, I didn’t wash my hands as it was only 30 mins since my last test and I didn’t do anything I was just sat in my bed talking to my sister and I only touched a glass with sugar free fizzy pop...so surely my blood wouldn’t of gone down that quick?

I test 3 times to make sure it was normal and I got 4.9 , 5 and 5.1. So it must be right

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly an error or possibly the spike was closer to 2hrs than one and then came down fairly quickly. Shame you didn’t recheck the high one to be sure. Next time you get a reading you are surprised by do double check, especially if you know you didn’t wash first etc. What was it before you ate? What did you eat?

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly an error or possibly the spike was closer to 2hrs than one and then came down fairly quickly. Shame you didn’t recheck the high one to be sure. Next time you get a reading you are surprised by do double check, especially if you know you didn’t wash first etc. What was it before you ate? What did you eat?

I had cauliflower cheese, veggie sausages, broccoli and roast potatoes, average of 70g carbs....I find I can eat up to 200g carbs a days and usually have no problems with blood sugars as long as they are spread throughout the day.

I should of checked the high number again but didn’t think too, my blood sugar has never really gone from a high 8-9 to 5 in the space of 30 mins, which is making me think it was an error but sort of panicked thinking I was causing damage

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And before I ate it was 5.2

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only you know what’s normal for you, and sadly you’ll never know now if this was accurate today. Just learn from it and check any dodgy readings in future. I certainly couldn’t eat the potatoes without that sort of rise or more. Even if it was accurate then the fact it came down quickly means any potential for damage is very limited so try not to stress, that’ll push it back up lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should of checked the high number again but didn’t think too, my blood sugar has never really gone from a high 8-9 to 5 in the space of 30 mins, which is making me think it was an error but sort of panicked thinking I was causing damage

I always drop quickly within half an hour if I have gone above my normal levels by eating something carby. It must be an over excited pancreas secreting a large surge of insulin.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
8-9 is nothing to worry about unless you are staying up there. "normal" people have even been known to go that high when they eat something really high carbs. Your body did exactly what it was supposed to do in bringing it down fairly quickly.

Reactions: Shas3

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8-9 is nothing to worry about unless you are staying up there. "normal" people have even been known to go that high when they eat something really high carbs. Your body did exactly what it was supposed to do in bringing it down fairly quickly.
Thankyou for the advice :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I’m going to disagree with that, from my perspective. 8-9 is a high number for people who have diabetes and I’d be worried if I saw that number in any situation. I believe anything above 7 causes cellular damage but I don’t have the reference for that to hand.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
How long do you take to finish eating a meal?
I just tested myself this morning eating something I used to eat regularly (homemade pancakes) and I'm a slow eater so there is sometimes one hour between first and last bite. This might do something to make the levels go down then up again before dropping.
But I know too that the metre readings can vary by 0.6mmol or so, which also could make it look more bumpy than it actually was.
But yeah, dirty hands don't help either.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long do you take to finish eating a meal?
I just tested myself this morning eating something I used to eat regularly (homemade pancakes) and I'm a slow eater so there is sometimes one hour between first and last bite. This might do something to make the levels go down then up again before dropping.
But I know too that the metre readings can vary by 0.6mmol or so, which also could make it look more bumpy than it actually was.
But yeah, dirty hands don't help either.
Probably 20 mins? I don’t really know tbh, I wouldn’t say I’m a slow eater

Reactions: Cocosilk

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going to disagree with that, from my perspective. 8-9 is a high number for people who have diabetes and I’d be worried if I saw that number in any situation. I believe anything above 7 causes cellular damage but I don’t have the reference for that to hand.

I have tested other friends and families and they have gone up to a 8 after meals but are perfectly healthy...so I don’t know

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well they have been doctors regularly and had test done and they’ve always come back normal
So did I, all the way through prediabetes and into diabetes before they bothered to say anything other than normal

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

This site even says it's normal for a diabetic. You say you don't normally go that high and that's better for you. And I say again, your body did exactly what a normal persons should do, which is blood sugar rising after you eat and making it's own insulin to bring it down fairly quickly.

I would not worry about a not too often event, and that "event" wasn't even that bad.