kyler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really
I realise we have cut back on the NHS.
Just received a letter today from my medical centre where they inform me they are pleased to let me know I no longer need to monitor my own blood sugar level as they have got it all in hand with the checks via our surgery.
The NICE recommend self monitoring of blood only needs to be done for patient who take insulin or on sulfonylureas medication.
So we have removed your test strips from your repeat prescription.
The diabetic nurse at our practice was always against anybody trying to keep their diabetes under control so it did not come as any suprise
It appears once one gets older as now I'm 72 they give up on us.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not just your age that's being cut off from testing strips, my mother in law had hers stopped on prescription last year as she isn't on hypo causing medication either xx

Gryph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just received a letter today from my medical centre where they inform me they are pleased to let me know I no longer need to monitor my own blood sugar level as they have got it all in hand with the checks via our surgery.
The NICE recommend self monitoring of blood only needs to be done for patient who take insulin or on sulfonylureas medication.
The diabetic nurse at our practice was always against anybody trying to keep their diabetes under control so it did not come as any suprise

It's not your age (eta: I'm 40) - after weeks of calling every other day (and the phone system auto hanging up after 20 mins queue; or getting through in the evening and being told "no appointments this month"), I finally got to see my DN earlier this week. Apparently having a job is not an excuse for spending hours on the phone each day.

She was keen to put me straight onto meds, despite me going with a My Sugr printout of the last 7 weeks, 580 odd readings, and showing me as well into remission (according to the meter). When challenged as to where I "got" these numbers, I produced my AccuChek - I was immediately and aggressively told that "what on Earth do you need that for, it's not necessary? Take the medication I want you to". This was deflected by taking my BP, which surprisingly (/sarcasm) was through the roof (usual home reading recently has been 100/65 ish). It went downhill rapidly from there - despite showing a week of readings averaging around 4.7 BG a day, apart from the one day I ate a "healthy Boots chicken sandwich" where BG spiked to 10.6 (from 5) after 1 hour, but back down to 6.8 after 2 hours. It went down like a bowl of carby cold sick.

It was signed off with giving me a HBA1C test form to take to phleb at the local hospital (I refuse to go anywhere else after being butchered a few times) and the DN stating "I only trust a patient once, if your results don't reflect what you've shown me, I will be shouting at you next time".

Sterling work! :banghead:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too, don’t think it’s about your age. I heard it was usual for GPs to not prescribe T2s testing strips unless they are on blood lowering medication.
A lot of T2s are self funding their test strips with an affordable brand of meter, which enables them to further control their condition without medication.
But if you are self funding and following a LCHF/ keto diet, then keep going.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
[QUOTE="Gryph, post: 2078565, member: 508032 I will be shouting at you next time".[/QUOTE]
...whaaaaaaat???? :***: when did it become ok to verbally assault patients? *resting head in hands and wondering what planet icon in here*

Mal78

Looking for some help here, been type 1 for around 4 year now and my control is terrible, my average BS reading is about 13/14, lately it seems to be getting worse where I seem to becoming resistant to the insulin and have to keep making correction doses and even they are hit and miss,I should also add I keep forgetting to take my lantus on a night, could this be why?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Looking for some help here, been type 1 for around 4 year now and my control is terrible, my average BS reading is about 13/14, lately it seems to be getting worse where I seem to becoming resistant to the insulin and have to keep making correction doses and even they are hit and miss,I should also add I keep forgetting to take my lantus on a night, could this be why?

Hi Mal. Maybe put this question in a new thread on the type 1 part of the forum? Will ask @Juicyj to come along and do it for you

Reactions: Juicyj

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes that is probably the reason, you need the basal to keep you ticking over when your not consuming carbs etc so if that's wrong or in your case sometimes non existent then you don't have that coverage meaning corrections aren't going to work correctly, the basal really is the most important to have correct xx

Reactions: Mal78

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not your age (eta: I'm 40) - after weeks of calling every other day (and the phone system auto hanging up after 20 mins queue; or getting through in the evening and being told "no appointments this month"), I finally got to see my DN earlier this week. Apparently having a job is not an excuse for spending hours on the phone each day.

She was keen to put me straight onto meds, despite me going with a My Sugr printout of the last 7 weeks, 580 odd readings, and showing me as well into remission (according to the meter). When challenged as to where I "got" these numbers, I produced my AccuChek - I was immediately and aggressively told that "what on Earth do you need that for, it's not necessary? Take the medication I want you to". This was deflected by taking my BP, which surprisingly (/sarcasm) was through the roof (usual home reading recently has been 100/65 ish). It went downhill rapidly from there - despite showing a week of readings averaging around 4.7 BG a day, apart from the one day I ate a "healthy Boots chicken sandwich" where BG spiked to 10.6 (from 5) after 1 hour, but back down to 6.8 after 2 hours. It went down like a bowl of carby cold sick.

It was signed off with giving me a HBA1C test form to take to phleb at the local hospital (I refuse to go anywhere else after being butchered a few times) and the DN stating "I only trust a patient once, if your results don't reflect what you've shown me, I will be shouting at you next time".

Sterling work! :banghead:

Time for a formal complaint methinks!

Reactions: EKW4Y

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

If you aren't on the "required" meds for prescribing testing equipment, you were very lucky to have been prescribed them up to now, sad to say. The vast majority of us T2s have to self fund, but we do this because we know that testing is the best way to control our condition and learn which foods are OK and which definitely are not OK. Nothing to do with age, more to do with the cost to the NHS if they did prescribe to all of us. Purely financial.