Great Desmond Course and Coping

Courts_12

Hi my name is Courtney, I was newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in April and at 22 it was a massive shock. I have been struggling to come to terms with it but today I attended a Desmond course.

I really struggle in groups as I am quite shy but it was the best thing I could do. I gained so much knowledge and learned different things to try to eat and what is best to avoid.

I am really feeling happy now about getting this under control. It was so nerve wracking as I was the youngest person there (over the age of 50) but everyone understood and reassured me. So if anyone gets the opportunity go to the Desmond course it has helped me understand so much more.

Although I am just wondering if anyone around the same age has advice on how they are coping as it has been a struggle to find people of a similar age with Type 2 diabetes.

Thank you, Courtney :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my name is Courtney, I was newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in April and at 22 it was a massive shock. I have been struggling to come to terms with it but today I attended a Desmond course.

I really struggle in groups as I am quite shy but it was the best thing I could do. I gained so much knowledge and learned different things to try to eat and what is best to avoid.

I am really feeling happy now about getting this under control. It was so nerve wracking as I was the youngest person there (over the age of 50) but everyone understood and reassured me. So if anyone gets the opportunity go to the Desmond course it has helped me understand so much more.

Although I am just wondering if anyone around the same age has advice on how they are coping as it has been a struggle to find people of a similar age with Type 2 diabetes.

Hello and Welcome : )

are you on any meds for your diabetes?

Reactions: zand

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

What did they say on the Desmond course, Courtney?

Courts_12

What did they say on the Desmond course, Courtney?

Hi, they talked about everything from diet to what food groups is best to eat. How diabetic food is not the best food surprisingly. They answered all questions as they have everyone at the beginning put forward what they want to ask or you can ask whenever you have a question. They go into detail about the causes of diabetes and what the potential risks are for people who do not control their diabetes. Honestly I learnt so much and I feel much better.

If you can go to the course I found it better to go the full day rather than two half days. :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. This site will become your new best friend. I’m glad you’re feeling better.

What did they tell you in regards to carbs specifically?

Reactions: zand

Courts_12

Welcome. This site will become your new best friend. I’m glad you’re feeling better.

What did they tell you in regards to carbs specifically?

Thank you, I am feeling much better.

They basically said fibre is best as the glucose will break down slower. So eating a full jacket potato including the skin is better than eating mash as this has been broken down with butter and milk and the skin (fibre) removed. They did mention that diabetics can stick to a normal diet but it is better eating mainly from the green group such as veg and citrus fruit so just what people without diabetes are told to eat. Chips and things are bad because of the oils used to fry them even sunflower oil and coconut oil was in the red group. And with carbs they said it was best to go with small portions. Sorry gone on a bit there but it was really useful. They gave me a booklet I can take pictures of if that will be good to look at :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

They basically said fibre is best as the glucose will break down slower. So eating a full jacket potato including the skin is better than eating mash as this has been broken down with butter and milk and the skin (fibre) removed. They did mention that diabetics can stick to a normal diet but it is better eating mainly from the green group such as veg and citrus fruit so just what people without diabetes are told to eat. Chips and things are bad because of the oils used to fry them even sunflower oil and coconut oil was in the red group. And with carbs they said it was best to go with small portions. Sorry gone on a bit there but it was really useful. They gave me a booklet I can take pictures of if that will be good to look at :)

Hi and welcome!

I’m glad you have a finger pricker.
I suggest you use it to find out what all those dietary recommendations do to your blood glucose.

My self testing taught me that chips and well buttered mash do not raise my blood glucose nearly as much as a jacket potato, and that all potato needs to be in tiny portions (so small it is not worth eating) to avoid raising my blood glucose to very high levels.
Same for bread, rice, pasta and breakfast cereals and porridge.
Much easier (for me) to just give them up completely rather than have a single mouthful and then feel deprived.
It is amazing how informative a finger pricker can be!

As for eating fat, yes, butter is MUCH better than plant oils. :D

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will just come out and say it. Aaaarrrggggghhhhh. Seriously, we tend to warn people who are going to attend the Desmond Course to be wary of the dietary information. The word is spreading slowly but carbohydrates are not your friend. They all will affect your glucose levels. Please do some reading around the forum. Most of us follow LCHF with a few carnivores, vegans, vegetarians thrown in.

Just out of interest, do you know what your HBA1C number was at diagnosis. Do you have any weight to lose?

You will get loads of support on this site.

Welcome to the forum.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I was afraid of that. It’s outdated. It’s quite possibly better than doing nothing at all about your diet but is only a fraction of what you can achieve by diet.

As suggested above (and quite possibly wrongly told is not necessary) a blood glucose meter is your new best friend. Too many medical staff think it’s only useful with insulin. It can also teach you what foods are good for you and which aren’t by testing before and after eating. Being on glicazide you should have a meter and strips. It’s a legal necessity if you drive!

Potatoes will likely raise your blood sugars, for many of us by too much. Fruit with the exception of a few berries will likely add to your insulin resistance (were you told about this?)sunflower oil and all vegetable oils are indeed bad but coconut oil is just fine. (They are wrongly terrified of saturatedfat , plenty of medical and scientific information on this site to explain my position when you’re ready for that)

Here’s some info that most of us follow because it works far better regarding carbs. The nhs do support this now but too many staff don’t know about it.

Can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Reactions: NannaD and Flora123

Courts_12

Hi and welcome!

I’m glad you have a finger pricker.
I suggest you use it to find out what all those dietary recommendations do to your blood glucose.

My self testing taught me that chips and well buttered mash do not raise my blood glucose nearly as much as a jacket potato, and that all potato needs to be in tiny portions (so small it is not worth eating) to avoid raising my blood glucose to very high levels.
Same for bread, rice, pasta and breakfast cereals and porridge.
Much easier (for me) to just give them up completely rather than have a single mouthful and then feel deprived.
It is amazing how informative a finger pricker can be!

As for eating fat, yes, butter is MUCH better than plant oils. :D

Hi, I am using my finger pricker to see what foods work for me. So far pasta and things set my levels soaring so I tend to avoid them now. I can eat porridge but it tends to be with fruit added. I am not very big on chocolate and sweets luckily so fruit is amazing for me. It is just difficult to keep to good portions :D

I rarely use butter and oils when cooking but if I do I use the spray so I use less!

Courts_12

I will just come out and say it. Aaaarrrggggghhhhh. Seriously, we tend to warn people who are going to attend the Desmond Course to be wary of the dietary information. The word is spreading slowly but carbohydrates are not your friend. They all will affect your glucose levels. Please do some reading around the forum. Most of us follow LCHF with a few carnivores, vegans, vegetarians thrown in.

Just out of interest, do you know what your HBA1C number was at diagnosis. Do you have any weight to lose?

You will get loads of support on this site.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi, oh god I was thinking that as I have seen so many doctors over the past few months and they have all said different on dietary information. I have taken it with a pinch of salt some of the dietary information as I am using my finger pricker to see what foods work best. What is LCHF?

My HBA1C was 118 at diagnosis. I do want to lose some weight but I am 65kg at the moment.

Thank you :)

Courts_12

I was afraid of that. It’s outdated. It’s quite possibly better than doing nothing at all about your diet but is only a fraction of what you can achieve by diet.

As suggested above (and quite possibly wrongly told is not necessary) a blood glucose meter is your new best friend. Too many medical staff think it’s only useful with insulin. It can also teach you what foods are good for you and which aren’t by testing before and after eating. Being on glicazide you should have a meter and strips. It’s a legal necessity if you drive!

Potatoes will likely raise your blood sugars, for many of us by too much. Fruit with the exception of a few berries will likely add to your insulin resistance (were you told about this?)sunflower oil and all vegetable oils are indeed bad but coconut oil is just fine. (They are wrongly terrified of saturatedfat , plenty of medical and scientific information on this site to explain my position when you’re ready for that)

Here’s some info that most of us follow because it works far better regarding carbs. The nhs do support this now but too many staff don’t know about it.

Can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Thank you, I am watching what I eat using my blood glucose meter to see what is best. But I am looking at trying the keto diet as I do want to lose more weight to keep it controlled rather than a constant up and down.

They are looking at increasing my metformin to two in the morning and two in the afternoon. Then stopping the gliclazide although I am a bit unsure on this as I ran out of the gliclazide before and felt horrible even just for the day.

I will look into it! Thank you!

Reactions: Peppergirl

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Courtney, when I was diagnosed, my HBA1C was 122. I decided I needed to something radical so I opted for Keto. Low Carb High (Healthy) Fat is what most people go for, and with great success. There is a lot of nonsense written about LCHF and all sorts of articles that preach that it will shorten your life and do you lasting damage. As I say, it is nonsense.

Don't waste your money on Diabetic Recipe books. Most of them are not suitable for T2s. There is a wealth of information on the internet, you just need to know what to look for.

Please read around and ask lots of questions. We have all been where you are now. No such thing as a stupid question.

Be led by your meter. Bank on around 200 strips per month. Testing is not forever. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2mmol/l before your first bite and two hours after. If your surgery is not going to fund enough strips per month, consider funding the remainder yourself. Check the cost of the strips for the meter you have been supplied with. If the strips are too expensive, have a look at the Tee2. Phone the supplier, order 200 strips and the chances are they will throw in a meter for free. Don't forget to declare yourself a diabetic and they will knock the VAT off for you.

Use an app such as mySugr to record your food and your numbers. After around 6 days, it will give you an estimated HBA1c reading which I found highly motivating when I started.

Every diabetic is different. We all tolerate carbs differently. You may be able to eat porridge, I may not. Your meter will tell you what is suitable and what most definitely is not.

Fruit is bad news for most of us. A few berries with double cream or greek yoghurt should be fine. Bananas and grapes are the very worst. I used to love clementines. Unfortunately, my meter told me that they did not love me back.

Some people may say that they are OK with some fruit. I say DITCH EVERYTHING. You can muddy the waters with a haphazard approach. Get rid of everything and then once you have reasonable numbers, you can start adding things back in slowly to see the effect they have on you. It is slow, it can be hard at first (I fell off the wagon several times) but, my goodness, the rewards!

I got my numbers down to 35 in 4 months. OK I was a bit anal about things to begin with I will admit it.

I would definitely be cautious with the glicazide. I was recently diagnosed with something different and have to take scumbag steroids which are playing havoc with my numbers. I was put on glic and discovered I was in hypo territory during the early hours. I was not given glic at my first diagnosis of T2, only with the steroids. Now ditched the glic and am taking insulin for the next 18 months or so.

Reactions: NannaD

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Courtney, when I was diagnosed, my HBA1C was 122. I decided I needed to something radical so I opted for Keto. Low Carb High (Healthy) Fat is what most people go for, and with great success. There is a lot of nonsense written about LCHF and all sorts of articles that preach that it will shorten your life and do you lasting damage. As I say, it is nonsense.

Don't waste your money on Diabetic Recipe books. Most of them are not suitable for T2s. There is a wealth of information on the internet, you just need to know what to look for.

Please read around and ask lots of questions. We have all been where you are now. No such thing as a stupid question.

Be led by your meter. Bank on around 200 strips per month. Testing is not forever. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2mmol/l before your first bite and two hours after. If your surgery is not going to fund enough strips per month, consider funding the remainder yourself. Check the cost of the strips for the meter you have been supplied with. If the strips are too expensive, have a look at the Tee2. Phone the supplier, order 200 strips and the chances are they will throw in a meter for free. Don't forget to declare yourself a diabetic and they will knock the VAT off for you.

Use an app such as mySugr to record your food and your numbers. After around 6 days, it will give you an estimated HBA1c reading which I found highly motivating when I started.

Every diabetic is different. We all tolerate carbs differently. You may be able to eat porridge, I may not. Your meter will tell you what is suitable and what most definitely is not.

Fruit is bad news for most of us. A few berries with double cream or greek yoghurt should be fine. Bananas and grapes are the very worst. I used to love clementines. Unfortunately, my meter told me that they did not love me back.

Some people may say that they are OK with some fruit. I say DITCH EVERYTHING. You can muddy the waters with a haphazard approach. Get rid of everything and then once you have reasonable numbers, you can start adding things back in slowly to see the effect they have on you. It is slow, it can be hard at first (I fell off the wagon several times) but, my goodness, the rewards!

I got my numbers down to 35 in 4 months. OK I was a bit anal about things to begin with I will admit it.

I would definitely be cautious with the glicazide. I was recently diagnosed with something different and have to take scumbag steroids which are playing havoc with my numbers. I was put on glic and discovered I was in hypo territory during the early hours. I was not given glic at my first diagnosis of T2, only with the steroids. Now ditched the glic and am taking insulin for the next 18 months or so.
I like that post. A lot of honesty within it.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For frying I use butter, lard, beef dripping, the fat derived from dry frying pancetta, coconut oil.

Everything you thought you knew about dieting is now turned on its head.

Reactions: HarryBeau

Courts_12

Thank you this has helped so much and I will definitely look at using the app mySugr as that would help a lot. At the moment I have an exemption card for prescriptions from what the hospital told me this is because I am on gliclazide. However if I just go to just metformin I will be made to pay the prescriptions which I guess will work out as a lot.

I will find it difficult to cut out fruit as it is such a big part of what I eat. But I will definitely give it a go as I do want my diabetes to be more manageable. Even with the tablets though my blood sugar is still above 10 most days.

Is taking insulin better than metformin and gliclazide? In hospital I was given insulin and my blood sugar dropped completely to normal and I felt much better in myself and my dry mouth was gone. On these tablets I still suffer really badly with dry mouth and drink a lot of water.

Sorry so many questions! Have you found a diet that works better for you now?

Reactions: zand and HarryBeau

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen so many doctors over the past few months and they have all said different on dietary information.
Largely because they get very little training in diet, especially for diabetes, unless they choose to do otherwise and tend to pick up highlights much like the rest of us. Some of the members here have educated themselves with hundred of hours study of scientific papers and journals.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I am watching what I eat using my blood glucose meter to see what is best. But I am looking at trying the keto diet as I do want to lose more weight to keep it controlled rather than a constant up and down.

They are looking at increasing my metformin to two in the morning and two in the afternoon. Then stopping the gliclazide although I am a bit unsure on this as I ran out of the gliclazide before and felt horrible even just for the day.

I will look into it! Thank you!
If you change your eating significantly then numbers will fall rapidly making the yuk feeling (presumably from being high) less likely. Also not being on glicazide will make things much simpler and potentially safer as there won’t be a risk of hypo on just metformin.

Courts_12

Largely because they get very little training in diet, especially for diabetes, unless they choose to do otherwise and tend to pick up highlights much like the rest of us. Some of the members here have educated themselves with hundred of hours study of scientific papers and journals.

I did say to them at the Desmond course that I had been told a lot of different information. I think all the doctors have loads of different training because not one of them has said the same thing. I will try and stick more to listening to people on the forum.

Reactions: sally and james