Type 2 why is my hair falling out since i started taking insulin?

Karenhome02

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
since i started novamix 30 twice a day my hair is falling out,why is this happening and should i change medication?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
since i started novamix 30 twice a day my hair is falling out,why is this happening and should i change medication?
Karenhome02 .. I had exactly the same thing happen to me when I first was diagnosed and put on 3 Metformin per day. It used to really upset me seeing large handfuls coming away as I rinsed my hair after washing it. However after a few months it lessened and now that I'm only on one tablet per day has just about stopped. Maybe your body needs time to adjust like mine did?

StaceyEmma

I could also be the time of year. I’ve only been using insulin for a few months when I started my hair was ok but since the warmer weather has hit mine is coming out pretty badly too.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine did the same for a few months. Two years on its fine but still quite brittle

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I experienced hair loss prior to being re-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. As my insulin and glucose levels came down after starting the ketogenic diet, hair loss began to slow, and my hair became healthier over time. At that time I also started taking a lot of vitamins and minerals. Is it possible that you have some nutritional deficiencies?

Excerpt from this article... https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-deficiency

6. Hair Loss
Hair loss is a very common symptom. In fact, up to 50% of men and women report suffering from hair loss by the time they reach 50 years of age
33Trusted Source).

A diet rich in the following nutrients may help prevent or slow down hair loss (34Trusted Source).

• Iron: This mineral is involved in the making of DNA, including the DNA present in hair follicles. Too little iron can cause hair to stop growing or fall out (35Trusted Source, 36Trusted Source, 37Trusted Source).
  • Zinc: This mineral is essential for protein synthesis and cell division, two processes needed for hair growth. As such, hair loss may develop from a zinc deficiency (38Trusted Source, 39Trusted Source, 40).
  • Linoleic acid (LA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA): These essential fatty acids are required for hair growth and maintenance (34Trusted Source).
  • Niacin (vitamin B3): This vitamin is necessary for keeping hair healthy. Alopecia, a condition in which hair falls out in small patches, is one possible symptom of niacindeficiency (41Trusted Source, 42Trusted Source).
  • Biotin (vitamin B7): Biotin is another B vitamin that, when deficient, may be linked to hair loss (34Trusted Source, 43Trusted Source).
Meat, fish, eggs, legumes, dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds and whole grains are good sources of iron and zinc.

Niacin-rich foods include meat, fish, dairy, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds and leafy greens. These foods are also rich in biotin, which is also found in egg yolks and organ meat.

Leafy vegetables, nuts, whole grains and vegetable oils are rich in LA, while walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds and soy nuts are rich in ALA.

Many supplements are marketed for preventing hair loss. Many of them contain a combination of the nutrients above, in addition to several others.

These supplements appear to boost hair growth and reduce hair loss in people with documented deficiencies in the aforementioned nutrients. However, there is very limited research on the benefits of such supplements in the absence of a deficiency.

It’s also worth noting that taking vitamin and mineral supplements in the absence of a deficiency may actually worsen hair loss, rather than help it (44Trusted Source).

For instance, excess selenium and vitamin A, two nutrients often added to hair growth supplements, have both been linked to hair loss (34Trusted Source).

Unless your healthcare provider confirms a deficiency, it’s best to opt for diets rich in these nutrients, rather than supplements.

SUMMARY The vitamins and minerals mentioned above are needed for hair growth, so diets rich in them may help prevent hair loss. However, the use of supplements, except in the case of a deficiency, may cause more harm than good.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A drastic change to your body or metabolism can cause a condition called telogen effluvium. Post childbirth, significant weight loss or change of diet, shock, divorce, death (of someone else obviously) can all cause it. I don’t se why the metabolic changes being put onto insulin could not also do it. It’s almost always temporary and starts 6-12 weeks after the event. When the hair follicle reached the end of the cycle it regrows as it should normally. Typically this takes around 3 or 4 months. Just when people have started taking all sorts of supplements and crediting them with the “cure”

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HSSS that could be an explanation for my hair loss. I experienced multiple upheavals in my life prior to the hair loss. That said, I also have inflammatory bowel disease so in my case nutritional deficiencies likely played an equal role. It's so individual. Without being assessed for nutritional deficiencies, it's hard to know.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HSSS that could be an explanation for my hair loss. I experienced multiple upheavals in my life prior to the hair loss. That said, I also have inflammatory bowel disease so in my case nutritional deficiencies likely played an equal role. It's so individual. Without being assessed for nutritional deficiencies, it's hard to know.
It is individual indeed but I see so many people assume it’s a lack of this or that without any assessment of nutritional deficiencies and without any real reason to suspect such. Obviously your case does have other potential causes.

Checking for those deficiencies you can is important and checking diet for any likely missing elements is also important. But understanding that it can be a common and ‘normal’ occurrence to big changes is a valuable piece of the puzzle too.

It’s very scary and when I had it I lost probably 2/3 of my hair. Luckily it was incredibly thick beforehand so now although significantly thinnner doesn’t look too odd. I now have a couple of inches of regrowth happening hidden in the lengths, still not as thick as originally but much better. I did get some checks done for deficiencies, iron, ferretin and thyroid too.