Sprouted Seeds

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I particularly enjoy sprouted seeds on my salads and stir frys.

Rather than buy them, can I sprout sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds and are there any other easily obtained (and very easily sprouted) seeds you can think of. I know mung beans, but which other ones? And can I sprout seeds and beans in the same tray, or do they take different times?

I thought trays lined with wetted blotting paper would be OK? And I just keep the sheet damp, right? On a windowsill or will the kitchen table be OK? I haven't done this since I was a kid. My husband buys trays of seeds but I thought if I grew my own it'd mean we don't end up with stacks of plastic trays.

Reactions: 1spuds
D

Deleted Account

From my dim and distant memory, we sprouted cress and mustard at school using the blotting paper technique.
I particularly enjoyed the mustard because it has a nice peppery taste.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
They actually have mixed seeds and beans that are sold for sprouting, I used to get them. Generally they mixed salad stuff and then a stir fry mix. So they can be mixed, but I don't know if it was certain ones mixed together. I do remember the stir fry in general were larger seeds/beans.

I ended up using a sprouting jar, it seemed to stay "cleaner".

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
They actually have mixed seeds and beans that are sold for sprouting, I used to get them. Generally they mixed salad stuff and then a stir fry mix. So they can be mixed, but I don't know if it was certain ones mixed together. I do remember the stir fry in general were larger seeds/beans.

I ended up using a sprouting jar, it seemed to stay "cleaner".

Wot - in health food shops? I have several near me now so I can do the rounds. Actually I'd probably search on line and see which one does the best and then visit the actual shop.

Or on line?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
During my Raw Food/ Green Smoothie Phase I was sprouting all sorts of things, from mustard seeds to sunflower, alfalfa, mung, lentils and so on. The range was massive.

I still have two jars for the purpose. Glass with green lids.

Had great fun.

Health food shops at the time had kits and sold sachets of seeds, but I soon moved on to buying the seeds separately and at better prices. I will have a google and see if I can find the brand of jar I was using (but you can easily use an ordinary jar and a muslin cover.

Edit:
Yes! Found it - the brand was BioSnacky, and my googling revealed the seed kits and jars and sprouting stuff is available all over the internet.

I can also remember sprouting grains and making some AWESOME bread from them.
You can buy sprouted grain breads, of course, but the prices are absurd, whereas making them is much cheaper. Pity I turned out to be intolerant even of the sprouted grains (which are much lower GI than unsprouted)... but hey, thats the way the dealer dealt it.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Starwest, which probably doen't sell in the UK has sprouting seeds and blends. They are a bulk herb company. So maybe if you know of an bulk herb company or online bulk herb company they might carry similar things?

The glass jars were great, they had a mesh cover so you could rinse the seeds to keep them moist but air got in.

I just haven't done it for years now.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Starwest, which probably doen't sell in the UK has sprouting seeds and blends. They are a bulk herb company. So maybe if you know of an bulk herb company or online bulk herb company they might carry similar things?

The glass jars were great, they had a mesh cover so you could rinse the seeds to keep them moist but air got in.

My husband could rig something up along those lines for me easily. (I could do it myself, but hey - he can do this, I'll chuck the seeds in, he'll water them and I'll eat them - fair division of labour :joyful: )

Thanks - I'll see what I can find :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Just put in sprouting jars in search and you will get several pictures to work off of.

Reactions: WuTwo

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve got one of those stackable seed sprouting trays that drains the excess water into a tray beneath - my favourites are alfalfa seeds.

Reactions: Guna108 and Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I’ve got one of those stackable seed sprouting trays that drains the excess water into a tray beneath - my favourites are alfalfa seeds.

Ooooh - that sounds fantastic! I really like the sprouted seeds; I add them to almost everything and the plastic trays are such a dreadful waste!

Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Mr_Pot - Thank you. I know where I can get blotting paper. I'll have to order slightly more than I might want, but it's available from office supplies on-line stationers (one of our chaps always had some on his desk, in one of those blotter things that go over a large area of desk. He took his leftovers with him when he retired but I still use the same stationer).

Reactions: Marie 2 and 1spuds

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My kitchen, even with two apple trees planted to provide shade, is far too hot for seed sprouting, even in semi enclosed trays they dry out.
Seek out a window ledge which is light but not blastingly bright, and I added a tiny drop of oxy-bleach to the water I used and let it stand overnight, then rinsed the beans in the morning - I noticed that our tap water - if left, produced a green growth.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

My kitchen, even with two apple trees planted to provide shade, is far too hot for seed sprouting, even in semi enclosed trays they dry out.
Seek out a window ledge which is light but not blastingly bright, and I added a tiny drop of oxy-bleach to the water I used and let it stand overnight, then rinsed the beans in the morning - I noticed that our tap water - if left, produced a green growth.

Goodness! I'll probably get a stack thing like @Mel dCP and keep them on the kitchen table. That's not an overwarm room. If it doesn't work in full summer it'll likely be OK the rest of the year. And I will admit it gets a bit hot in summer here. If not there then the spare room. That's the coolest room in the house, I think.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We are on the south coast of the UK, and the kitchen faces almost directly south - before I moved the dairy fridge out of there it was possible to place butter on the worktop and watch it liquefy whilst making a cup of tea.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

We are on the south coast of the UK, and the kitchen faces almost directly south - before I moved the dairy fridge out of there it was possible to place butter on the worktop and watch it liquefy whilst making a cup of tea.

I wish there was a gobsmacked emoji! I am in Devon (coastal) but thankfully fairly high up and we get a very cooling breeze ging through the house if we open windows on both sides.

My husband had butter until recently and it goes very soft but I don't recall it getting that bad! Coconut oil does, but that is very soft unless the weather is cold. I do feel for you! The nights must be a bit warm sometimes!

I think seeds will be OK if I keep windows open and let the breeze through. Hope so - I'm looking forward to munching them!

Last edited:

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A subject dear to my heart.Ive done blotter method,stackable trays and jars with lids.Hands down the jar method produces the best seeds.blotter second,trays third place,in my experiences.

My tray seeds are ok for most beans,alfalfa/radish is hit or miss but usually OK,mung beans do poorly in trays,as they rinse poorly.I just had to toss 2 trays of mung beans yesterday due to rotting green coverings.

The benefit of jars is its easy to rinse really well three times a day ( the ideal amt,less can still work) and the seeds that dont sprout,or coverings that get left behind like mung beans are easily rinsed away with jars.They tend to rot with the other methods.

My best,by far,is jars and rinse three times a day give prime sprouts.Oh,and they dont need light,maybe the last day or 2 is enough to green em up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria and WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Thank you! That was very helpful @1spuds I shall take your advice and give it a go in jars :) There's only me that would eat them so maybe more than one jar would be fine for me.

I'd like the trays but I'd have to wait a month or two until I have spare cash, but jars - I got plenty :)

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mmm this is a good thread, been buying little tubs from Sainsburys for £1.25 that last me 3-4 days, lovely with their own gingery salad dressing on YUM

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’ve got one of those too! Broccoli is good.