Advice please

Becca6510

Hi there

Trying to shift some stubborn weight, it’s mostly off my tummy as I don’t seem to have loads of fat in other places. As previously suffering with diabulimia I find the fact that I’m overweight quite distressing to some extent. Although I have a brilliant OH I still feel so low on confidence and berate myself daily.

A few weeks ago I decided to seriously get my bum in gear and be consistent with the gym, I’ve been going 5/6 times a week, mostly cardio but also weights. HIIT training plus a low carb diet, tend to allow myself some carbs once a day and then the other meals have to be carb free. I’m walking the dog more, getting enough sleep (although I don’t feel like it most of the time) my sugars have been a little wobbly but nothing horrendous. I’m starting on a pump next week.

I don’t seem to be losing any weight or seeing any difference and I feel super disappointed, as I’m being strict both with food and activity, and it feels for nothing.

Can anyone recommend a weight loss boost? Are type ones more inclined to lose weight slower? The only way I’ve ever seemed to lose a lot of weight successfully was by not injecting and well that’s NOT an option anymore.

Thanks a lot
Becca
Xo

D

Deleted Account

@Becca6510 are you judging your weight by the scales or the view of yourself in the mirror?
I asked because one approach may be to tone your stomach muscles rather than lose weight.
A good gym will be willing to work with you to develop a training program to focus on the areas you want to.
And by doing more resistance type training (weights, ab-work, etc.) you will not need to worry about losing weight on other parts of your body. I find it is also great for my posture.

As muscle weighs more than fat, you may see the scales go up a bit whilst your clothes become a little loose.

If you do a longer session of resistance training, you may find your BG will gincrease a bit. Don't worry about this - once you get your pump you can adjust your basal rates to manage this.

One resistance training activity I love is climbing. It builds strength (without becoming overly muscly), it is easier with a stronger core so I am motivated to do the ab-work at the gym, it provides a mental as well as physical workout (making it easier for me to switch off from other things) and, as you can't do it alone, it is social ... without being competitive.

D

Deleted Account

@helensaramay how do you tone stomach muscles?
I don't mean the "muscular organ located on the left side of the upper abdomen."
I was referring to my abdominal muscles. I do sit ups, planks, leg raises of multiple varieties and combinations. I find the TRX at the gym makes me focus on keeping my abs taught as does the balance ball.

D

Deleted Account

Yeah I knew you were talking about abdominal muscles because I want/need to tone mine up as well :)
Now I have a couple more things to try :)
I think I was half asleep when I responded.
I should have said the way to train your stomach muscles are to eat cake...but you know that already.

Sorry @Becca6510 for derailing your thread. I hope you don't mind the little bit of banter.

Becca6510

I think I was half asleep when I responded.
I should have said the way to train your stomach muscles are to eat cake...but you know that already.

Sorry @Becca6510 for derailing your thread. I hope you don't mind the little bit of banter.

Thanks Helen! To be honest it’s both. My renal dietician said my bmi is up a bit at 27 so bees to lose some fat and also tone. Yes I’ve wanted to try the climbing wall at a local gym but I’m worried I’ll look a bit stupid not knowing what I’m doing!