Tyoe 2 diabetic high hba1c and now pregnant

Alia5

Hi

I am 29 years old and I have type 2 diabetes my hba1c level was quite high when checked recently. I have now found out I'm pregnant and I'm really worried as I have read a lot that diabetes especially that which is pre existing and poorly controlled can cause birth defects. Before I found out I was pregnant I had started eating a lot and craving sweet things which now I regret eating as I've read the problems occur in first trimester. I guess I'm just really scared and I wanted to see if anyone else has had healthy babies with pre existing diabetes. And any advice you can give. Thank you.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the best advice would be to contact your health care team for an immediate appointment at the diabetic pregnancy clinic. They are the best ones to help. Congratulations on the pregnancy.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm just really scared and I wanted to see if anyone else has had healthy babies with pre existing diabetes. And any advice you can give.

Plenty of diabetics have healthy babies (I am a T1 with two healthy adult children and the daughter of a T1 who had me before glucometers were available). As @becca59 said, you need to contact your diabetic team so that they can help you manage the pregnancy. Birth defects may or may not be an issue, just as they are for non diabetics, your team will be able to do the tests to let you know what is happening.

Congratulations and good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Aalia Hi Aalia, I am currently in same situation as yours. I have got pregnant and my hba1c levels are 88. Can you spare some time and share your journey? Thanks and mich appreciated.