Cookbook

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Whoever suggested the book 'the diabetes weight loss cookbook' I have to say Thank you. I bought it and today made the granola, strawberry chia jam and wonder of wonders the low carb bread. It tastes amazing, I made rolls, now I have something to spread my pate on, oh and pea nut butter and chia jam and cream cheese and smoked salmon etc etc.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edited to add: The book I looked at this morning was NOT the book dawnmc was referring to. Apologies. My bad. Please ignore the rest of this post...

Interesting. Really appreciate that nutritional information on each recipe includes sodium, potassium, and phosphorus, perfect for those with chronic kidney disease, but from everything I read, it's a low fat cookbook. Ugh.

And some of the recipes contain high starch foods - (ex: black beans and corn) - or worse yet, processed foods such as grain based flours and artificial sweeteners.

Looking through the Amazon reviews here in the US, few reviewers actually have diabetes. And the ones that do, didn't mention having tried any of the recipes yet. One reviewer pointed out that the portion sizes for each recipe are small, so if you eat 2 or more portions, you'll need to pay attention to how much that drives up the calories/carbs and sugars.

All that said, I appreciate the reference to the book though. I'm trying to help a friend build a collection of diabetic and chronic kidney disease friendly recipes, and by looking at this cookbook I was reminded to find CKD cookbooks that include the carbs, sugars, sodium, potassium, and phosphorus levels for all recipes. So thank you for that.

Hope the cookbook meets your needs.

Last edited:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Interesting. Really appreciate that nutritional information on each recipe includes sodium, potassium, and phosphorus, perfect for those with chronic kidney disease, but from everything I read, it's a low fat cookbook. Ugh.

And some of the recipes contain high starch foods - (ex: black beans and corn) - or worse yet, processed foods such as grain based flours and artificial sweeteners.

Looking through the Amazon reviews here in the US, few reviewers actually have diabetes. And the ones that do, didn't mention having tried any of the recipes yet. One reviewer pointed out that the portion sizes for each recipe are small, so if you eat 2 or more portions, you'll need to pay attention to how much that drives up the calories/carbs and sugars.

All that said, I appreciate the reference to the book though. I'm trying to help a friend build a collection of diabetic and chronic kidney disease friendly recipes, and by looking at this cookbook I was reminded to find CKD cookbooks that include the carbs, sugars, sodium, potassium, and phosphorus levels for all recipes. So thank you for that.

Hope the cookbook meets your needs.
its not a low fat cookbook. Its British high fat low carb. Most cookbooks are American so it's nice to get a good one here. Dr unwin, who we know on here has written the foreword. And the person writing the recipes is a chef, who has put his diabetes on hold.
Maybe it was a different book you looked at.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies. Can you post a link to the book from Amazon in the UK? The one I looked at was approved by the American Diabetes Association. It was awful.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really confused. I did a copy and paste of the title you provided in your OP and this is the book that I looked at earlier...

https://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Coo...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RGM1JQ0GM5D3A4G13AK2

I don't know how that happened.

Just did the search again, and I think I see the book you're referring to...

https://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Wei...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3B88HW6Z8GBBDW095FAP

In my excitement to look at the book, I made a mistake. Apologies. Clearly these two books are very different. I was so disappointed initially. Am very much looking forward to looking at what I now believe to be the correct book.

Again, apologies. My bad...

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'm really confused. I did a copy and paste of the title you provided in your OP and this is the book that I looked at earlier...

https://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Coo...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RGM1JQ0GM5D3A4G13AK2

I don't know how that happened.

Just did the search again, and I think I see the book you're referring to...

https://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Wei...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3B88HW6Z8GBBDW095FAP

In my excitement to look at the book, I made a mistake. Apologies. Clearly these two books are very different. I was so disappointed initially. Am very much looking forward to looking at what I now believe to be the correct book.

Again, apologies. My bad...
yes you are right, its the second book, written by Giancarlo Caldesi. Just had the 'granola' with Greek yogurt for breakfast, was delicious. My partner tried the bread rolls I made and said they were like bread. Result I think.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at the cookbook briefly before bed last night and am very excited. I'm a huge fan of the Unwins' educational efforts in the UK, and was delighted to see their "teaspoons of sugar" teaching method being used. That alone is worth the price of the book so am ordering it. Looking forward to trying the recipes. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful book. :)

Reactions: dawnmc

Richard'63

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Aren't these the people that did the week long pullouts in the Daily Mail in April?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still reading through the first part of the book that explains how to do the diet. It's excellent so far. Tried the Italian Roasted Vegetables on page 144 last night. Auberine isn't in season yet so replaced it with an extra courgette, and added 6 large button mushrooms, thickly sliced. Forgot to buy the rosemary, but will try it next time. It was delicious!

This may become the book that I recommend to all newly diagnosed diabetics. Have been waiting a long time for a book that gets you started immediately on how to eat and get started with exercise following a diabetes diagnosis. :)

Reactions: dawnmc

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made the Butter Chicken. Its now my favourite curry. I also loved the roasted vegetable ribbons I've thought about making the bread although wasn't sure about the psyllium husk powder. I did post on here and it had some good reviews so i might try it.

Reactions: Winnie53

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I made the Butter Chicken. Its now my favourite curry. I also loved the roasted vegetable ribbons I've thought about making the bread although wasn't sure about the psyllium husk powder. I did post on here and it had some good reviews so i might try it.
I loved them, do freeze the ones you don't eat. They go mouldy!!!!!

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Uurrghh! Luckily, being so low carb i ate all i made so none left to freeze!