Can type 1 be linked to twisted bowel

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Last July I was rushed into surgery for a twisted bowel, I have never come across this before or heard of anyone having it. I have googled it to find out what can cause this to happen but all I get is Crohn’s disease and bowel cancer which I have neither. It was a awlful experience and 4 weeks after was rushed in surgery again due to a obstruction caused by adhesions ( scar tissue causing a obstruction. I busted wondered can diabetes cause something like this to happen. Also I read that diabetes causes constipation which I do suffer with, I take senakot which works well but cannot use long term. Can anyone advise what is best to combat constipation maybe my bowels have slowed down since surgery but I do drink 1.5 to 2 litres of water a day not including tea or coffee and try to eat a fair amount of fibre like porridge, bananas, veg etc... just wondered if anyone has had similar

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Magnesium citrate works well to help with constipation and you can stay on it. Check with your doctor to make sure it's okay to take with what you have going on. Crohn's disease is more common in type 1 diabetics. So do keep an eye out for it. My niece has it and has several surgeries and scar tissue build up is a real problem.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi
Last July I was rushed into surgery for a twisted bowel, I have never come across this before or heard of anyone having it. I have googled it to find out what can cause this to happen but all I get is Crohn’s disease and bowel cancer which I have neither. It was a awlful experience and 4 weeks after was rushed in surgery again due to a obstruction caused by adhesions ( scar tissue causing a obstruction. I busted wondered can diabetes cause something like this to happen. Also I read that diabetes causes constipation which I do suffer with, I take senakot which works well but cannot use long term. Can anyone advise what is best to combat constipation maybe my bowels have slowed down since surgery but I do drink 1.5 to 2 litres of water a day not including tea or coffee and try to eat a fair amount of fibre like porridge, bananas, veg etc... just wondered if anyone has had similar

Hi Tracey, my brother was rushed to hospital to have emergency surgery for a twisted bowel a few years ago, but he is not diabetic, also, he could of had the twisted bowel for a very long time before the op. He recovered, is retired now and is still fit and active.
I hope you have recovered now after such a scary and painful experience. Take care.

Reactions: Marie 2