'De-prescribing' advice for GPs when patients adopt low carb to manage diabetes

Dark Horse

The British Journal of General Practice have just published an article entitled, "Adapting diabetes medication for low carbohydrate management of type 2 diabetes: a practical guide". One of the authors is David Unwin.
https://bjgp.org/content/69/684/360

(The title should read GPs not Gps!) - Now corrected with the help of @Tipetoo .

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The British Journal of General Practice have just published an article entitled, "Adapting diabetes medication for low carbohydrate management of type 2 diabetes: a practical guide". One of the authors is David Unwin.

(The title should read GPs not Gps!)
oh I thought it was so they could find their patients :)

Reactions: Gannet

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dark Horse

Thank you!
Very useful doc to offer T2s new to LC, either for their own understanding, or for them to show their health care professional when they discuss LC with them.
Have saved the link. :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Thanks, but I was only able to edit the body of the post and couldn't see how to edit the title.
At the top of your thread is Thread Tools click on it and you will get a drop down box, click on Edit Title. If GP's comes back out as Gps put a space beteween them.

ZeyrCVt.png

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting. One wonders if this (until now) has been a reason for many GP’s to avoid recommending the LCHF solution.

( I see they term LCD as < 130 grams of carbs per day ).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The section on Competing Interests is enlightening. :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's noteworthy, the article can be viewed in PDF format, for easy printing.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news. Every gp surgery in the country should be hand delivered a copy of this, along with Dr Unwins low carb training package.

Reactions: Prem51

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting. One wonders if this (until now) has been a reason for many GP’s to avoid recommending the LCHF solution.

( I see they term LCD as < 130 grams of carbs per day ).
I consider myself to be low carb and I tend to average between 100 - 130g per day.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

(The title should read GPs not Gps!) - Now corrected with the help of @Tipetoo .

This link should be in a sticky thread for quick access for newbies who have adopted a very low carb diet after coming to this site and seeing the success stories but whose GPs and dietician aren't sure about very low carb diets.

I was interested to see if, when going very low carb and then higher fat or even keto whether there would be any official recommendation for supplements of any kind or check ups and maybe blood tests to see if electrolytes levels are balanced or if anything else is lacking after a few months of very low carb.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I consider myself to be low carb and I tend to average between 100 - 130g per day.

Edit: Ooops - ignore me. Only just realised it's a T2 thread. Sorrry.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posts have been deleted as they breach the rules. Please be on-topic, polite and tolerant of other's choices. Further Mod intervention could lead to thread bans, warnings or other sanctions.

Where you see a post that offends, please report it IMMEDIATELY.