Pregabalin for Nerve Pain

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was prescribed Pregabalin 100mg twice daily, this had been increased from a very low dose.

I now know it can cause Hypo's because I have experienced very low blood sugars on a daily basis since being prescribed a higher dose. My legs and ankles have swollen up like balloons and I have tremor. So much so with the latter that the kettle flew to the floor following great tremor in the arm.

It may have eased my nerve pains in my legs and sacrum which were serious but the bad side effects of this drug, as far as I am concerned, are going to make me ring the Surgery tomorrow to try to speak to a GP.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this drug and have experienced bad side effects.

Reactions: NaijaChick

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They prescribed it for my mum but she refused to even leave the pharmacy with it after the side effects were explained. Please cal you GP as these symptoms sound worrying. Good luck.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Marketed in the U.K under the brand name Lyrica.
I have spinal cord tumours and other spinal cord damage and was prescribed Lyrica.
Within three days I refused to take anymore.
I was sitting silently staring at the pc screen .... there was no one in.
My wife loved the peace and quiet!
I'm full of energy with lots to say on many subjects ... eating that stuff made my spirit vacate its body.
Zombied .... never again.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No idea about hypos but
I take pregabalin, 150mg in the morning and 300mg at night.
I was already on this before I became a T2 diabetic - for the pain from fibromyalgia and non-diabetic peripheral nerve pain. I found the side effects a problem at first, and they reoccured every time the dose was stepped up. But apart from the weight gain most of it improved after 2-4 weeks.
I also take codeine painkillers - the mix tends to make me a little dozy but I just drink a coffee when I need to concentrate more - ie when doing 1-1 reading with 7/8 year olds at school!
Pregabalin is a strong drug, but without it I'd spend even more time in bed and have no life outside my home.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm on a strong opiate called Palexia.
I packed it in recently and tried CBD oil .... fine for a very short period.
Went back on opiates by way of a morphine patch my blood pressure rocketed.
After three days I was off the patches and am now back o the Palexia.

Tapentadol prolonged release (Palexia® SR) is recommended as an option for restricted use within NHS Wales, only in the following subpopulation within its licensed indication: Patients with severe chronic pain, in whom morphine sulphate modified release has failed to provide adequate pain control or is not tolerated. Tapentadol prolonged release (Palexia® SR) is not recommended for the management of severe chronic pain in adults, which can be adequately managed only with opioid analgesics, outside of the subpopulation described above. http://www.awmsg.org/awmsgonline/app/appraisalinfo/651

SimonCrox

Hi,
The swollen ankles is well described in the SPC of pregabalin, although not well recognised by medical staff.
I have used some tapentadol in an elderly person who was intolerant of other opiates, but the tapentadol suited him well; not all GPs are happy to prescribe tapentadol.
I would get vitamin D level checked cos linked to neuropathic pain and treatment is harmless.
It is a case of trying the options and seeing what suits
Good luck
Best wishes

Reactions: Struma

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
The swollen ankles is well described in the SPC of pregabalin, although not well recognised by medical staff.
I have used some tapentadol in an elderly person who was intolerant of other opiates, but the tapentadol suited him well; not all GPs are happy to prescribe tapentadol.
I would get vitamin D level checked cos linked to neuropathic pain and treatment is harmless.
It is a case of trying the options and seeing what suits
Good luck
Best wishes

Hi thanks for replies.

I have had all my bloodwork carried out and it is all completely normal.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Bluecarnation

Marketed in the U.K under the brand name Lyrica.
I have spinal cord tumours and other spinal cord damage and was prescribed Lyrica.
Within three days I refused to take anymore.
I was sitting silently staring at the pc screen .... there was no one in.
My wife loved the peace and quiet!
I'm full of energy with lots to say on many subjects ... eating that stuff made my spirit vacate its body.
Zombied .... never again.

My mum had one dose and she was out for the count for 2 days, never again!

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum had one dose and she was out for the count for 2 days, never again!

I just used to fall asleep all over the place; it could have been dangerous. Also made my legs swell up to enormous proportions so I will not be taking the drug ever again

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was prescribed Pregabalin 100mg twice daily, this had been increased from a very low dose.

I now know it can cause Hypo's because I have experienced very low blood sugars on a daily basis since being prescribed a higher dose. My legs and ankles have swollen up like balloons and I have tremor. So much so with the latter that the kettle flew to the floor following great tremor in the arm.

It may have eased my nerve pains in my legs and sacrum which were serious but the bad side effects of this drug, as far as I am concerned, are going to make me ring the Surgery tomorrow to try to speak to a GP.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this drug and have experienced bad side effects.

I do remember I had terrible tremor I just could not control the jerky movements of my hands and dropped a lot of items