Somogyi effect? Just discovered!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/dawn-phenomenon-or-somogyi-effect

Not the best reference, but I got there by looking up "extended dawn phenomenon".

I looked that up because I seem to have a 3 phase 24 hour BG cycle.

06:00 to 14:00 climb to mild hyper (extended DP?)
14:00 to 24:00 drop to mild hypo
24:00 to 06:00 minor rebound then slow climb

Has anyone else got/encountered this?
I will be chasing up other references because the link above isn't very helpful.

@HSSS for heads up as well.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I’ve looked at this before but I’m neither on insulin nor ever seeing anything close to a hypo to rebound from (a high 4 is rare let alone lower. I’m very happy with any sort of 5 sadly) so I’d say not my issue.

Reactions: Rachox

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Thanks.
It all seems based around T1/T2 insulin users.

However it struck a chord because I am seeing a prolonged spike in the morning which I had speculated was due to a flawed glucagon response, or perhaps a flawed insulin response to the morning glucagon response.

Seeing one or two short hypo episodes (quickly corrected) around midnight made me wonder if something was happening to my insulin levels in the wee small hours.

I am now wondering if the minor hypos are triggering insulin suppression which allows DP to go on unchecked, and then eventually an insulin response which brings the BG down from the hyper level to a hypo level around midnight, then rinse and repeat.

I recall (although I haven't seen it recently) advice to have a small carby snack last thing at night to suppress DP and I might experiment with this to see if fending off the midnight hypo also fends off the extended DP.