Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 wow that stove last time I saw one like that was in a museum, still fab mind you :)
Found it for 25 euro's in a thrift store, works perfectly, except for the missing, erm, thing.
Hi bro.:)
4 of them look like knobs of Bakelite.
The one on the left looks like it’s been removed and there’s just a little thingy sticking out. Not sure how best to describe it on account we’ve used the term knob to describe the other 4.
I expect them to be bakelite, as what else could they be?

I'm definitely missing something in your language as I fail to find anything funny in the word knob, but I've got the feeling you can't explain it to me without me having to moderate the answer...
In Dutch you'd call it 'knop', where you can hear the k and which isn't funny in any way, not even for 13 year olds. I only use 3 burners, as handling the sticking out part with a wrench is impractical, especially should anything go wrong in the kitchen and you need to turn off the gas quick. I call the sticking out part a 'piefje', which is a pretty meaningless word usually used to describe something small and pointy for which you don't know the word, like with car parts.

Bought everything for a big omelet/fritata/casserole and then I found those for 1 euro... So now I'm hoping for a little hypo tonight which needs adressing :)

67648952_10218104689243083_2867726286032207872_n.jpg

Reactions: Knikki and therower

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope the jelly babies are ok and have not become a jelly baby puddle.

On a drive back from Rome in July a few years ago in a car with no air conditioning, the jelly babies all turned into a big lump.

(I think we did it in < 24 hours to Boulogne without touching a French peage. The Grand St Bernard pass was the best bit.)

Reactions: porl69 and Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm definitely missing something in your language as I fail to find anything funny in the word knob, but I've got the feeling you can't explain it to me without me having to moderate the answer...
I hope this anecdote will pass the mod test... delete if not, but it’ll explain things perfectly!

When I was at school, doing Biology A-level, we were covering the male reproductive system. Me being me, I asked my teacher what the plural of penis was. Penises? Peni? Penodes? He just chuckled and said “Mel, if you’re ever fortunate enough to encounter more than one at a time, I suggest you just call them nobs” :rolleyes:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope this anecdote will pass the mod test... delete if not, but it’ll explain things perfectly!
Thanks! Not what I guessed either :) Not sure about this one from a mod perspective, but as it clearly is part of the school curriculum in the UK I guess it's ok :angelic:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks! Not what I guessed either :) Not sure about this one from a mod perspective, but as it clearly is part of the school curriculum in the UK I guess it's ok :angelic:
When I was teaching the other week, I had to teach 13 year old boys about the female reproductive system. So I started the lesson by just getting them to shout out any words they knew for “vagina” just to get it out of their system, and wrote them on the board. Once we’d done that, I rubbed all the non scientific words off, and left the proper names for all of it up there and said “these are the words we use in here”. I learnt a few new ones :D

Reactions: Daphne917

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@ert remembering the excitement around Oppo icecream, I decided to treat myself recently.
Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. They seem to reduce the carbs by adding artificial sweeteners which made it too sweet to my taste.
I am really happy others like it but, now you are on insulin, you can try some "real" icecream. In my opinion it tastes much better ... especially if you are going to pay the high price of Oppo.

But, we are all different. If you like it, go for it.

I love vegan Magnums - just like their dairy ones but better, 'cos I can eat them! They do dark chocolate or almond milk chocolate covered. Both scrummy!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love vegan Magnums - just like their dairy ones but better, 'cos I can eat them! They do dark chocolate or almond milk chocolate covered. Both scrummy!

They are indeed scrummy and I got my insulin for it on point :D I agree they taste exactly the same as their dairy ones.

Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
We have got some Ben & Jerry's that I can eat but somehow I always fall for the idea of a Magnum.

We were talking about proper Orange Maid ice lollies today and I really want one. We are going shopping tomorrow morning (early while it's cool) so I might take the freezer bag thingy so we can get ice lollies. I know I should make them with juice but I haven't any moulds to do them in. I used to have when my son was small, but not these days.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The solara ones are my fave, fruit juice outside, ice cream centre. Not sure if they’re vegan tho.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hardly had anything bad for lunch. Tested my blood just now and got that reading. Mind u been out in the heat a bit. Does it raise it up?
IMG-20190725-WA0009.jpeg

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Walked round the supermarket on the way home from mud pies: car said it was 37 in the car park, even under a tree, and all the blinds were down over the cold section displays. Lovely and cool after the hot drive. Car said 36 as I pulled in when I got home. Thank you contigo for keeping iced coffee cold .

Reactions: hh1

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

The solara ones are my fave, fruit juice outside, ice cream centre. Not sure if they’re vegan tho.

There's an entire cabinet full of vegan ice creams and lollies in my Sainsburys - I shall spend a little while looking through. Also, son and very nearly vegan d-i-l are coming for dinner on Sunday so I'd better get extras. And think of something to cook that we'll all like!

I might do another quiche for the three weirdoes, and get some meat for my son. Also want nice size spuds for jackets, and better get some more salady stuff. The kids have appetites like young horses!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yep - I'm firefighting but don't want to change my ratios - this weather won't last....... will it???

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hardly had anything bad for lunch. Tested my blood just now and got that reading. Mind u been out in the heat a bit. Does it raise it up? View attachment 34480
I love that - 'hardly' had anything bad :hilarious: Depends how 'hardly' it was really. I've had to reduce basal and bolus in the hot weather and still fire-fighting hypos, but YDMV

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Peaked at 28 degrees here, apparently. Not as bad as some places where 38 has been recorded, but hot enough for me. Blood sugar this afternoon better than yesterday, don't know whether that's related to the weather or not. or just me changing my behaviour.

Nice civilised 23 degrees peak tomorrow. I haven't eaten ice cream in years.