Prediabetes and Ibs. Advice needed plz x

Elephantshow

Hello there,
I was wondering if anyone can help me please?
I’ve had ibs a long time and know what triggers it and what I can get away with.. I’ve just been diagnosed with pre diabetes and have been given the chance to sort myself out (going to be tested again in nov)
So id like to lose weight as I am over weight but know I’ll need to change my diet permanently.
I’m well up for this as diabetes runs in my family so if I can fix it now then I got a good chance of not having the full blown diabetes.
The problem I’ve got is that I have ibs. So I’ve been advised to eat wholemeal, brown bread and all the high fibre foods.. all the stuff that triggers my ibs.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice please on what I can eat that will assist losing weight and keep my sugar levels low but also not make me go to the loo 9 times a day.
Thanks in advance xx

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Elephantshow and welcome!

I don’t have experience of IBS, but if fibre is a problem for you, the good news is that you don’t need to eat it to help your diabetes.

The key to managing blood glucose is to reduce carbohydrate intake - the whole meal/wheat versions of bread, rice, pasta will raise your sugars just as much as the white varieties, so avoiding them would be a good move.

Below is a link to some useful information, including diet. Have a good read and ask any questions you have. I’d also suggest looking at the Dietdoctor.com website for food ideas - and if you post the sorts of things you enjoy I’m sure you’ll get lots of suggestions.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thank you so much for this and for the info about carbohydrate intake too. It’s very helpful x

My IBS pretty much vanished when my sugars started dropping. One sign fir me that my diabetes isn’t as good or my carbs too high is I start getting symptoms back

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there,
I was wondering if anyone can help me please?
I’ve had ibs a long time and know what triggers it and what I can get away with.. I’ve just been diagnosed with pre diabetes and have been given the chance to sort myself out (going to be tested again in nov)
So id like to lose weight as I am over weight but know I’ll need to change my diet permanently.
I’m well up for this as diabetes runs in my family so if I can fix it now then I got a good chance of not having the full blown diabetes.
The problem I’ve got is that I have ibs. So I’ve been advised to eat wholemeal, brown bread and all the high fibre foods.. all the stuff that triggers my ibs.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice please on what I can eat that will assist losing weight and keep my sugar levels low but also not make me go to the loo 9 times a day.
Thanks in advance xx
Hi!
Another IBS type 2 here. It hasn't actually bothered me more than maybe once or twice since I started the LCHF diet to sort my diabetes out, three years ago. Since I cut out bread it hasn't been a problem, really... Just steer clear from recipes with seeds, like quinoa or chia, and you should be experiencing smooth sailing, not just with the IBS but with the T2 too. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help you along.

Good luck!
Jo