BLOOD PRESSURE FOR DIABETICS

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: BLOOD PRESSURE FOR DIABETIC'S

Shygirl will they give you a continuos blood pressure reading thing? To see if it's a problem with the drs and nurses. My friend had to wear one for a day, because when she was tested at the doctors the reading was far far too high because she is terrified of doctors.

greekqueen

My GP likes to disregard the ruling for diabetic bp and normal bp and if mines is 85 it's fine, but the diabetic gp totally disagrees with this and wants to see 70, and I am stuck in the middle sometimes..the trouble I have with bp is their machines don't work, all the nurses and my own gp cannot take my bp with them, they just go down till they switch off, I bought a machine with an extra large cuff and it takes it fine but is apparently too sensitive :? wish they were allowed the mercury ones because my gp has to take my bp with a stethoscope and fingers :eek:

SugarPlums

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Few years ago was tested by the GP at 130/80, apparently this was fine for non-diabetics but a study had shown this too high for Type 1's. Had a similar story regarding Statins, mind you all this when tax big bucks were rolling into the NHS/Drug companies. Now we have the old 'white coat syndrome' reappearing and 24 hour monitoring, when times are hard. After the aspirin shambles, who is the medical profession looking after? (not me)

sandy2011

HLW said:
Shygirl will they give you a continuos blood pressure reading thing? To see if it's a problem with the drs and nurses. My friend had to wear one for a day, because when she was tested at the doctors the reading was far far too high because she is terrified of doctors.

White coat syndrome.. :(
In Feb 2011 my doctor told me my blood pressure was high and the blood sugar was also high. For a few months after this I only worked on my BP and I ate brown rice (!) for the BS thing. I took 1 pill a day and tested my BP everyday, excercised, lost a few lbs, and around 3 months after that the BP became stable (I thought): 105 to less than 120. I stopped the medicine. Then the BS started and now I low carb and the BS is okay.
About 10 days ago I went to my doctor and there she tested my BP: 150!! I tested with my machine 5 mins later: 165. Needless to say, after that visit I am always nervous and worried, I take 1 pill everyday again but the BP keeps going up and down and is high like 132, 135.
Today I came to see the doctor again, there 160 :(. She gave me one more type of medecine.
Sigh..

Unbeliever

Whenever I go to my Gp 's surgery my BP is something like 200/90 I test it at home a few minutes before I leave and get similar readings, An hour later at home my readings are something like 115/70.
Strangely enough, when I go to hospital, even for a stressful procedure and a great deal of uncertainty
my levels are slightly raised eg 138/72 but perfectly acceptable.
My Gp's are obviously bd for my health!

Deon

Good blood pressure control is probably as important as BG control - I learnt this lesson the hard way. I was diagnosed with T2 six years ago and from the onset was put on Hypertensive meds. Unfortunately hupertensive meds have some nasty side effects - in my case it caused a dry night cough and wreaked havoc on sexual function (impotence). I've tried different types of hypertensive drugs over the years, but ALL of them have side effects and I stopped taking hypertensive drugs completely.

And then in late November last year I got serious kidney infection, was given antibiotics and it cleared up only to return a week after I completed the antibiotics. The doctor repeated the course of antibiotics and again it cleared up only to return a week later. I have beasically been quite ill since the last week of Nov 2011.

This morning I was at the doctors again and tests showed large amounts of protien in my urine - A DIRECT RESULT OF PROLONGED PERIODS OF HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE and I was informed that I'm in first phase kidney failure!!! My blood pressure reading this morning was 170/104.

My GP then prescribed a drug called AMILORETIC (NHP) which is both a postassium saving diuretic and has an anti-hypertensive effect and enhances the action of other hypotensive agents. This drug may cause a rise in BG levels and I was advised to check my BG levels carefully over the next few days and increase my insulin accordingly.

PLEASE PEOPLE - CONTROLLING BLOOD PRESSURE IS AS IMPORTANT AS BG LEVELS. DON'T LEARN THIS LESSON THE HARD WAY LIKE I HAVE HAD TO.

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

I was told by a surgeon friend of mine, I knew when I was nursing, that I drank a lot of Diet coke, We had a vending machine in the theatre suite, and it was true, a lot of us loved the ice cold tins, he told me that its the worst culprit for raising blood pressure. Whilst mine was a bit high, nothing too bad, I decided to cut it out and see if it made a difference.

The next time i was tested in had dropped right down to normal. It strictly a treat these days

Reactions: 2 people

SugarPlums

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My BP and Fats were OK, got rammed onto a load of pills to make them lower than some US survey, Aspirin is dangerous unless you've got some serious heart trouble according to my medical Guru.

aljallen

I recently had a 9 stay in hospital and of course blood pressure is checked 4 times a day. Mine never came below 135/100 the highest it went to was 157/105. Nothing was said but I knew that was high. Told my gp when I came out from hospital, nothing has been said or followed up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

aljallen said:
I recently had a 9 stay in hospital and of course blood pressure is checked 4 times a day. Mine never came below 135/100 the highest it went to was 157/105. Nothing was said but I knew that was high. Told my gp when I came out from hospital, nothing has been said or followed up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

The recommended bp levels for people with diabetes is 130/80.

Go back and see your gp and ask tell them to look at your bp again.

varlitang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
There's normally an underlying problem if you have high bp and diabetes and high cholesterol altogether. I discovered I had cushings disease after lots of tests and scans etc. so I suggest you pressure your gp as to why you bp is so high with also having diabetes.x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
always thought I had low blood pressure untill they asked me how long had I had High blood pressure now take a ramipril a day weird thing though when i was having iron infusions my BP went down and my temperature up / :mad:

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
my doctor excepts that I have white coat syndrome and excepts my diabetic nurses readings.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My blood pressure is apparently near normal, however has tended to be low, which has cased dizzyness when I bend down and then stand up. But no one seems to consider it a problem apart from me.

TKS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Blood Pressure

Mines a little high but the doctor says nothing to worry about - its generally 130 - 135 / 80 something.

I would really like it to be down in the 120's. I do excercise, I do eat veg and I take 1/2 asprin per day. Has anybody any natural tips for lowering blood pressure? I've heard Broccoli is good?

carl
to lower your bp, u can try take salmon fish oil, garlic, cinamon, tumeric, all these can slowly lower your blood pressure, my last test 102/72, Dr. said good.

Diabetesdave1

I’m not a medical person so maybe somebody with a bit more knowledge can verify this .Average blood pressure varies a bit depending on your age so what a good blood pressure for a 25 year old male will be different to a 60 year old man . Same applies for females so this also has to be taken into consideration .

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blood Pressure

Mines a little high but the doctor says nothing to worry about - its generally 130 - 135 / 80 something.

I would really like it to be down in the 120's. I do excercise, I do eat veg and I take 1/2 asprin per day. Has anybody any natural tips for lowering blood pressure? I've heard Broccoli is good?

carl
Foods to help relax the artery walls (researched this for a recent post on a gym noticeboard where I work)
· Eat foods rich in potassium magnesium and vitamin E. These foods help to relax stiff arterial walls and vitamin E is an antioxidant. Foods to add in are:

· Watercress; parsley; cauliflower and courgettes (Potassium)

Sunflower and sesame seeds, peas, salmon and sardines (Vitamin E + Omega 3)

Almonds, Brazil nuts, pecan nuts, dark chocolate and cooked beans (Magnesium)

Salt can sometimes make those sensitive to it more hypertensive. If you avoid processed foods you will naturally reduce your intake (its not just what you sprinkle on your chips)
Other contributors would be being overweight, drinking too much alcohol and not managing stress well.
Note that its a myth that cholesterol 'blocks up your arteries' - if you've damaged your arteries by smoking, being diabetic with high sugars then the body sends cholesterol to repair the damage. Calcium may build up in the artery wall as part of an inflammatory process but the mechanism for the disease isn't fully known yet but there's no link between fat (other than trans fat ) and heart disease.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m not a medical person so maybe somebody with a bit more knowledge can verify this .Average blood pressure varies a bit depending on your age so what a good blood pressure for a 25 year old male will be different to a 60 year old man . Same applies for females so this also has to be taken into consideration .
Normal is 80-120 sistolic (heart at full pumping phase)/60-80 diastolic (heart at the relaxation phase)
Mine rose a lot when I was pregnant (had pre eclampsia) but I don't think there is any difference between male and female normally?
In Western countries blood pressure rises with age but it should be noted that this is just common and not necessarily normal; in the blue zones where longevity is greater BPs are not elevated.
I take lots of BPs for my job (not a medic but am a PT) and its a pleasant surprise to see someone over 60 who isn't on BP meds though if you do have hypertension it is important to treat it but ideally to make some changes to lifestyle to remove the underlying cause of the problem.
If you take your blood pressure first thing in the morning that will help you see it at its best!
Finally, adopting a low carb diet will cause your body to hold onto less fluid which may result in lower bp not to mention better diabetic control.

Reactions: zand