First Low Blood Sugar

ElizaChota

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin. (Takes over my life)
took two sugar pills because I felt like my sugar was low. I did not have my blood sugar monitor with me and we just finished swimming. So I'm home now and I took my blood sugar and it was only 15.1
And I know that sugar pills are supposed to spike your sugar but I only went up a little. I wonder what my blood sugar was if it only spiked it up to 15.1

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What sugar pills were these? and what was the carb content, and when you say only 15.1, I see that as very high.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
It's difficult to calculate as it depends on so many factors such as body weight, how low you are, etc, etc. Here's an interesting article. https://diatribe.org/issues/55/thinking-like-a-pancreas

Now that I'm on insulin, I wear a Libre and carry a blood-testing device to the gym when I'm exercising. I'd return home to collect the testing kit if I'd forgotten it as I don't trust my Libre.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
took two sugar pills because I felt like my sugar was low. I did not have my blood sugar monitor with me and we just finished swimming. So I'm home now and I took my blood sugar and it was only 15.1
And I know that sugar pills are supposed to spike your sugar but I only went up a little. I wonder what my blood sugar was if it only spiked it up to 15.1

Eliza - Without knowing what your numbers were before you took the sugar pills onboard, all anyone could do would be speculate.

Exercise can make blood sugars rise, or drop, depending the levels of your exertions, what your numbers were when you got in the pool and how much insulin your pancreas is still make - just to name a few things.

Lots of folks find it helpful to take their meter onto the poolside with them, and asking a pool attendant to keep an eye on it whilst they swim. That way, if they feel they need to, they can test straight away.

From what I can recall reading, you've been having some very high numbers recently. When that has been the case, hypo/low feelings can kick in whilst the bloods are actually still OK. It's just your body going out of it's usual comfort zone. Those feelings are often referred to as "false hypos".

If your numbers are OK, then it can be useful not to treat the false hypo, so that your body gets used to going a bit lower into the health ranges, but it is important you check those numbers out, in case they really are low. if they're low, you need to treat them.

I think, in your shoes, I'd set myself a little project of doing lots of testing, so that I could begin to understand how my body reacted to lots of different scenarions. Of course, diabetes sometimes just seems to do it's own thing, but it's good to know what usually happens.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, how are you? Without testing we wouldn't know if it was truly a hypo or not. From your previous posts, have things settled now? how are your levels? I know activities like swimming can make your BG go either way - high or low. Especially doing exercise, you need to test prior to it and carry extra carbs in case anything happens.