under 20g carbs a day- how do you do it?

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on a Newcastle type diet, but feel that there is too much sugar in the shakes/bars etc and want to transition to a low carb diet, but still lose weight. After reading the forum it looks like around 20/30 g of carbs a day would be an amount to try. I don't eat meat, fish or eggs so am not sure how to get the carbs to under 30g. Prior to type 2 diagnosis ,I would eat dal every day for protein, but have been told it is too high carb now. Please can anyone help with suggestions? I have already replaced 1 meal a day on weekends to tofu and greens (200 cals worth). My finger prick tests are generally around 5.2-5.4 in the morning, but I would like to see if I can get them lower by reducing my carbs more- the bars/shakes etc have a daily total of 56g carbs. I have posted on the vegan/vegetarian forum as that is what my diet is :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hello. You've been working really hard and your waking finger-prick tests results are amazing already. I understand the concerns about transitioning back to normal foods from shakes and bars, but I have to ask, why your waking blood sugars have to be lower when they're clearly normal. Most likely they would have been even lower overnight and risen to low 5's due to the 'dawn phenomenon' where your liver gives you glucose to wakeup.

In transitioning back to normal food, you should try testing before a meal and two hours afterwards to see what effect the contents are having on you.

And here is a website I use when my vegan friend comes for lunch:
https://jessicainthekitchen.com/25-mouthwatering-vegan-low-carb-recipes/

She's not low carb but I am. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: WuTwo and Guna108

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I think you'd need to look at the keto vegan sites. I know @Mel dCP sticks to very low carb vegan diet and she knows a Facebook group that is keto vegan. You'd have to make your own substitutions for the garlic, onion and mushroom but I'm sure you're used to that.

If you don't commit to the full keto thing, I don't think you'll find a way of eating that keeps you that low but at the same time meets your nutritional needs. You do need to be sure you're getting all the nutrients and calories you need whilst at the same time keeping those carbs right down.

I don't do that so any advice I can offer is limited. Fried tofu offers less carbs than raw (I have no idea why), and h/m seitan can be very useful in providing low carb protein. I do think you'd need to research this properly to make sure you stay healthy.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you'd need to look at the keto vegan sites. I know @Mel dCP sticks to very low carb vegan diet and she knows a Facebook group that is keto vegan. You'd have to make your own substitutions for the garlic, onion and mushroom but I'm sure you're used to that.

If you don't commit to the full keto thing, I don't think you'll find a way of eating that keeps you that low but at the same time meets your nutritional needs. You do need to be sure you're getting all the nutrients and calories you need whilst at the same time keeping those carbs right down.

I don't do that so any advice I can offer is limited. Fried tofu offers less carbs than raw (I have no idea why), and h/m seitan can be very useful in providing low carb protein. I do think you'd need to research this properly to make sure you stay healthy.
Thanks @WuTwo for your useful advice. That's interesting about the tofu.I wonder why it has less carbs when fried? I have been either having asparagus/ spinach or brocolli or green salad leaves with raw tofu when I am on the 'extra meal week' of the Exante diet. I did put on a tiny dab of vegan mayo with the leaves sometimes- I love it!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
The tofu thing is odd, but then again roast potatoes have a different carb count per 100g than say chips.

The difference is what lead me to do scrambled tofu a lot as opposed to raw; it's one way of keeping my protein intake up whilst enjoying the food very much at the same time.

Reactions: Guna108

Little Bird

Hi there sorry to be a science bore but I just wanted to say cooking can alter the molecular arrangement of its constituent molecules and the bonding structure. This can effect the energy release in foods. Yes I'm no fun at parties!