low carb cheese sauce

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like @Brunneria I have a microwave version I use for cauliflower cheese/cauli mash and another I use for cauliflower 'steaks' (a bit more chefy).
The micro one break the cauli into florets, season and add about 2 - 3 ozs chopped butter. Cover with cling film, pierce a few holes in it and micro for about 6 mins. Remove cling film, stir then add double cream and grated cheese (I use Morrisons 4 cheese mix) stir again to coat the florets then micro again ( time depends on the size of the florets and how much there is but I find it usually needs another 5/6 mins.
The cauliflower 'steak' - cut a thick slice of cauli to form the steak, season and pan fry in butter coating all the time with a spoon. You can add some heat by seasoning with chilli, paprika etc. Once it starts to brown and soften transfer to an oven proof dish. Fry off some chorizo or bacon bits. Mix up some grated cheese with a little cream to bind. Add in the 'bits' and coat the steak . Top with grated parmesan and pop in the oven at about 200c fan for about 15/20 mins. Makes a nice starter or a main with added salad.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morrisons 4 cheese mix
Sounds delicious but be careful with pre-grated cheese, they often have some form of stach to prevent sticking. The one you mention for instance has corn starch as an ingredient. When you grate yourself you'll have just cheese :)

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone tell me a thickener that's low carb? I want to make a cauliflower cheese, but don't want flour or cornflour carbs.

Xanthan Gum. Found in the Free from aisles usually. You only need a small amount

Reactions: jicjacs

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Lots of these recipes use cream. Am not sure if they would work with the French Crême Entier which is 30% fat and has 3.8g carbs per 100g.
Not a lot less than milk at 4.8per 100g. But way more expensive.