1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

low carb cheese sauce

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Judlepip, Jan 12, 2017.

1. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Like @Brunneria I have a microwave version I use for cauliflower cheese/cauli mash and another I use for cauliflower 'steaks' (a bit more chefy).
    The micro one break the cauli into florets, season and add about 2 - 3 ozs chopped butter. Cover with cling film, pierce a few holes in it and micro for about 6 mins. Remove cling film, stir then add double cream and grated cheese (I use Morrisons 4 cheese mix) stir again to coat the florets then micro again ( time depends on the size of the florets and how much there is but I find it usually needs another 5/6 mins.
    The cauliflower 'steak' - cut a thick slice of cauli to form the steak, season and pan fry in butter coating all the time with a spoon. You can add some heat by seasoning with chilli, paprika etc. Once it starts to brown and soften transfer to an oven proof dish. Fry off some chorizo or bacon bits. Mix up some grated cheese with a little cream to bind. Add in the 'bits' and coat the steak . Top with grated parmesan and pop in the oven at about 200c fan for about 15/20 mins. Makes a nice starter or a main with added salad.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds delicious but be careful with pre-grated cheese, they often have some form of stach to prevent sticking. The one you mention for instance has corn starch as an ingredient. When you grate yourself you'll have just cheese :)

3. Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Xanthan Gum. Found in the Free from aisles usually. You only need a small amount

4. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Lots of these recipes use cream. Am not sure if they would work with the French Crême Entier which is 30% fat and has 3.8g carbs per 100g.
    Not a lot less than milk at 4.8per 100g. But way more expensive.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook