Positive signs

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.

Some positive signs in my first week but I wanted to seek some advice about my GP appointment next week.

I was diagnosed type 2 on Monday when I had a finger prick test of 24!! Sent for a blood test the next morning and I know my HBa1C was 114!! My cholesterol was borderline but kidney and liver were ok. (I’ll get the full results on Tuesday)

Having briefly spoken to my GP, I know that when I see her she is planning to change my medication (currently on 1500mg Metformin) although I don’t know what to. I assume this is in response to such a high HBa1C.

The thing is, since the moment I walked out the GP I’ve cut out all sugar and kept carbs to an absolute minimum. I tested my blood sugar and they were as follows:
Thursday PM - 9.5
Friday AM - 8.8
Saturday AM - 8.4

I think that shows that already the diet (and Metformin) is having an impact and I’d like to give it another few weeks. How should I approach it with the doctor? Should I negotiate with her? Accept the prescription but not take the medicine? Take the medicine in the hope I can come off it if my tests improve?

Any guidance much appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: Caeseji and Prem51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Barba_Rossa sounds like you’ve made some positive changes.

No-one can tell you what to do, but my advice would be to remember that it’s your health and your body. It’s important to seek the advice and input of your doctor, but ultimately it’s your decision how to proceed.

Personally I did have a friendly discussion with the GP (my HbA1c on diagnosis was slightly lower than yours at 108) and said I’d like to give diet a shot for 3 months and see if I could make an impact without meds. She was amenable and we went from there.

So I’d suggest just seeing what she says having an open conversation and then making an informed decision.

Good luck!

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Barba_Rossa sounds like you’ve made some positive changes.

No-one can tell you what to do, but my advice would be to remember that it’s your health and your body. It’s important to seek the advice and input of your doctor, but ultimately it’s your decision how to proceed.

Personally I did have a friendly discussion with the GP (my HbA1c on diagnosis was slightly lower than yours at 108) and said I’d like to give diet a shot for 3 months and see if I could make an impact without meds. She was amenable and we went from there.

So I’d suggest just seeing what she says having an open conversation and then making an informed decision.

Good luck!

That’s good to know. I will try honesty as the best policy. She’s talked about having my bloods done again in 6 weeks so that might be a reasonable timeframe for me to suggest as a compromise for me to give diet a go as an approach.

Just out of interest, did you go diet only in your approach or were you taking any meds at all?

Reactions: Prem51 and 1spuds

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s good to know. I will try honesty as the best policy. She’s talked about having my bloods done again in 6 weeks so that might be a reasonable timeframe for me to suggest as a compromise for me to give diet a go as an approach.

Just out of interest, did you go diet only in your approach or were you taking any meds at all?

That sounds reasonable to me.

I went diet only - my diagnosis was triggered by a nasty abscess that wouldn’t heal, so that was the initial focus and diabetes medication wasn’t suggested at first and by the time it was suggested, I’d done a bit of research and knew I wanted to give diet a shot.

Plenty of people on here have used diet and metformin. Tagging a couple as they may have a different perspective. @Rachox @shelley262

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I was diagnosed over two years ago and straight away took Metformin and still do, currently on the same dose as you. However the major part of my achieving non diabetic HbA1cs is from low carb eating. If I was in your shoes I would definitely ask to use those six weeks to assess if your change in diet is working without increasing or adding to your meds. Remember your Dr is there to advise only they can’t make you take anything you don’t want to. Let us know how you get on.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all.

Some positive signs in my first week but I wanted to seek some advice about my GP appointment next week.

I was diagnosed type 2 on Monday when I had a finger prick test of 24!! Sent for a blood test the next morning and I know my HBa1C was 114!! My cholesterol was borderline but kidney and liver were ok. (I’ll get the full results on Tuesday)

Having briefly spoken to my GP, I know that when I see her she is planning to change my medication (currently on 1500mg Metformin) although I don’t know what to. I assume this is in response to such a high HBa1C.

The thing is, since the moment I walked out the GP I’ve cut out all sugar and kept carbs to an absolute minimum. I tested my blood sugar and they were as follows:
Thursday PM - 9.5
Friday AM - 8.8
Saturday AM - 8.4

I think that shows that already the diet (and Metformin) is having an impact and I’d like to give it another few weeks. How should I approach it with the doctor? Should I negotiate with her? Accept the prescription but not take the medicine? Take the medicine in the hope I can come off it if my tests improve?

Any guidance much appreciated!

I’d discuss it with your doc in an informed way. You aren’t far off what I was Hba1c of 112 and FBG of 22. I went very very low carb immediately and had an Hba1c of 36 within three months - no meds. Stick to your guns if that what you want.

Reactions: Barba_Rossa

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d discuss it with your doc in an informed way. You aren’t far off what I was Hba1c of 112 and FBG of 22. I went very very low carb immediately and had an Hba1c of 36 within three months - no meds. Stick to your guns if that what you want.

Wow! What fantastic results. Were you measuring FBG yourself during that three months? Do you know how fast they came down?

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A quick update after my one week appointment with the GP. She was surprised and pleased with a blood glucose reading of 6.4 at the surgery (up slightly from 5 on my meter first thing this morning). Blood pressure was also back into the normal range so she was happy not to up the meds (sticking with 3 x 500mg Metformin) and to give me more time.

Booked me in for another set of bloods in six weeks.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! What fantastic results. Were you measuring FBG yourself during that three months? Do you know how fast they came down?

I was measuring my levels around 6-8 times a day. My FBG is never particularly low but throughout the day it is pretty steady. Lots of blips along the way so it’s never smooth sailing!

Edited to add - just reread your post. The FBG of 22 was on diagnosis. It came down to around 8 very quickly with low carb and now sits around 6-7 so not as low as some. I have good days and bad days but I’m not worried about the early morning readings because if DP.