Had a visit with my dietician and diabetes nurse.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Usually something different from mainstream science is potentially dangerous but this is not the case for "Low Carb" for a glycemically-challenged.

Reactions: 1spuds

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Through sheer tenacity and some luck I have another review this week. With a different nurse. I wait with interest to see what she has to say.

Reactions: 1spuds

headache

There was an interesting discussion with the Endo when having my Coeliac blood panel done, but even that went well, once we'd been around all the pros and cons.
I have a coeliac panel in 8 weeks - how did you manage the low carb plus eating gluten? I'm at a complete loss as to how I do both!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a coeliac panel in 8 weeks - how did you manage the low carb plus eating gluten? I'm at a complete loss as to how I do both!

Well, I had a full and frank discussion with him about how to eat far more carbs than usual for x weeks, prior to testing would be almost forcing a potentially inaccurate result. At that time, I wasn't gluten-free, but I didn't eat overt grains. When I went G/F, I was hoprrified where the gluten can lurk.

He agreed it didn't make sense and had the potential to be utterly miserable - when I had no intent of eating higher carb levels moving forward anyway.

My panel results were all either negative or inconclusive. If I had had any definite coeliac symptoms (aside from the symptoms that could be attaching to lots of conditions), I'd have had the colonoscopy. His recommendation was strictly G/F moving forward which I have done.

Low carb abd GF is perfectly feasible and don't be afraid of it. We cook from scratch at home, so it's easy to know what goes into what we're eating. Eating out, I have even been caught out by items ordered from the G/F menu, annoyingly, but I got over it, albeit it took about 3 weeks.

WHat part of the prospect of low carb and GF is it you fear most? If you can give a few clues, I'll try to help. There are several on here who live LCGF (OOoooer, a new acronym!) and thrive on it.

I'll be seeing the same Endo next month, and this will come up, so I'll be interested to hear his comments this time around.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are several on here who live LCGF (OOoooer, a new acronym!) and thrive on it.

Me! That'll be me!
I actually found going GF more of a headgame than going LC, but as soon as I realised that it was all in my head, I got over it fast.

LC and GF are actually naturally hand in hand.

By going LC you drop all the processed rubbish (which is mainly carby), and focus on real food, usually home cooked.
By going GF you drop all the processed rubbish (which is mainly gluteny) and focus on real food, usually home cooked.

I'm afraid that my body has decided that any bread, GF or not, is 'processed rubbish', so I don't have to waste my time sourcing bread replacements, either.

I did go through a rather odd phase where curiosity led me to try all sorts of 'GF foods' which ere really just an excuse to charge people more for overly processed tasteless carbs. Gave that up very quickly.

It turns out that my blood glucose is MUCH steadier and more 'normal' on GF carbs, than on Gluten.
But I still feel a lot better when I stay LC and so I stick to GFLC strictly. Even more so, now that I have discovered how much pain even a tiny amount of gluten causes my joints.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry @Troubled1

We seem to have drifted off topic from celebrating your triumph.
Maybe we should start a GFLC thread somewhere to continue the discussion. :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

headache

I'm sorry @Troubled1

We seem to have drifted off topic from celebrating your triumph.
Maybe we should start a GFLC thread somewhere to continue the discussion. :)
Sorry, my fault! It's not gluten free and low carb that I don't know how to manage - it's gluten and low carb.
I'll continue my quest for info elsewhere. Thanks