Holidays and control of diabetes

Douglasw

Going on holiday to Rhodes soon and read you need to drink lots of water to stay hydrated, I am worried that water will lower my blood sugar levels thus causing more issues than it will resolve, any advice would be welcome please, thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 308541

any advice would be welcome please, thanks in advance
You have not filled in your profile to state what type of diabetic you are, whether T1 T1½ or T2 etc. So we will be guessing,

You need to keep hydrated as doing a perish as we call it here leads to death.

Douglasw

Thanks tipetoo, I have been diagnosed with type two diabetes due to secondary problems, pancreas has a lot of necrosis on it, I control my diabetes with insulin, fast acting three times a day and a slow acting one overnight, my blood sugar levels are usually well controlled and sit between six and eight, it was just the fact that I thought water brought the blood sugar levels down

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
it was just the fact that I thought water brought the blood sugar levels down
It only does a little, and only when having very high numbers. When bg goes over 11 or so, we start to pee out glucose. The more you drink, the more you pee so the more excess glucose you lose.
You won't go hypo from drinking enough!
You also won't need to drink ridiculous amounts of water on Rhodes. It's just the same as when a spell of hot weather hits your home town. When it's hot you need more water.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Reactions: Douglasw and EllieM

Douglasw

Thanks Antje77 I didn't realise that water only really helped above 11 that puts my mind at rest, just hoping that this holiday goes ok as it was a couple of years ago in Rhodes where all my problems started so it will be nice to see Rhodes instead of from a hospital bed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Antje77 I didn't realise that water only really helped above 11 that puts my mind at rest, just hoping that this holiday goes ok as it was a couple of years ago in Rhodes where all my problems started so it will be nice to see Rhodes instead of from a hospital bed

It really would make sense to take plenty test strips with you as the heat can impact insulin sensitivity. On that basis, also ensure you have plenty hypo treatments too.

Enjoy

Douglasw

I usually make sure that I have enough test strips, needles, insulin and anything else that I need to keep me going for three to four weeks, I also split the stuff between myself and my wife in case anything happens to our bags, hand luggage only as hold luggage can get to cold and affect the insulin

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Douglasw ,

Testing testing, 1,2,3.. (Sorry it's the musician. In me.)

Insulin use & sensitivity in any heat may affect the meds, or your body's reaction to... Be cafull, but have fun..

Reactions: Douglasw

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Heat thins your blood and increases sensitivity to insulin. I'm not long back from Greece where it took me a few days to learn how much to adjust my bolus dose. Did enjoy the odd ice cream when correcting a hypo though.
Enjoy Rhodes - Kalo Taxidi!

Reactions: porl69 and Douglasw

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Heat thins your blood and increases sensitivity to insulin.
Not for all of us. I seem to need more insulin when it's hot, I suppose because I don't feel well in the heat.
So I agree with @Jaylee :
Hi @Douglasw ,

Testing testing, 1,2,3.. (Sorry it's the musician. In me.)

Insulin use & sensitivity in any heat may affect the meds, or your body's reaction to... Be cafull, but have fun..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heat thins your blood and increases sensitivity to insulin. I'm not long back from Greece where it took me a few days to learn how much to adjust my bolus dose. Did enjoy the odd ice cream when correcting a hypo though.
Enjoy Rhodes - Kalo Taxidi!

Hi @miahara ,

I notice from your profile you take Lantus & Novorapid. So do I...
I find my sensitivity is heightened to the basal in hotter climates. Without any fast acting on board, my personal fasting levels can plummet with lantus if I don't lower my usual dosage by 1 or maybe 2 units.
Oddly, if I'm ill? The same applies as a "sick day" increment..