Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How far in advance of eating are you injecting? What level of rise are you seeing?

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How far in advance of eating are you injecting? What level of rise are you seeing?
They say fast acting starts working in 20 mins so I need to inject just b4 eating so I don't get distracted and then test 2hrs after.
Lantus is b4 bed.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Injecting right before you eat means any carbs hit your bloodstream before the insulin gets to work.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'm a driver but dvla only need to be informed of you are on a medication for more than 3 months and I will be on it for less than 2. I only need to inform the insurance company...

I would make sure that your BG levels are checked once your baby is born. If my initial problem was GD, then it didn't end when my last son was born. My daughter-in-law also had GD when she was expecting her 3rd child, and it was assumed that, once her baby was born, everything would return to normal, so nobody checked. Much later she was diagnosed as T2 and put onto insulin directly. She is now permanently on insulin. I'm not saying that this happens to everybody because, without doubt, GD does go away for many (most?) mothers, but it is worth making a check to make sure.

All good wishes for yourself and your baby.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Injecting right before you eat means any carbs hit your bloodstream before the insulin gets to work.
How far in advance of a meal would you suggest injecting insulin then? I was told to inject just before putting a meal on the table. Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How far in advance of a meal would you suggest injecting insulin then? I was told to inject just before putting a meal on the table. Have I been doing it wrong all this time?
It depends on which fast acting insulin you are on. I was told if I'm out to eat, do not inject insulin until food is on the table. I've been taking Fiasp, depending on my BG levels - if it's lower end of normal I don't wait and if it's much higher, I'll wait 10-15 mins. This applies to what carbs are on the plate, some carbs break down sooner than others.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well it depends on the food and the insulin and of course if someone is low to start with then don’t inject early, but 20-30 minutes before for novorapid. If you have a Libre or CGM the dip can be seen making more accurate timing possible.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it depends on the food and the insulin and of course if someone is low to start with then don’t inject early, but 20-30 minutes before for novorapid. If you have a Libre or CGM the dip can be seen making more accurate timing possible.

I only have a fingerprick type monitor and my BG levels are very rarely low even before a meal. My short acting insulin is Humilin S and I usually take about 32/34 units just before I serve a meal. Does that make sense? Or perhaps I should take it when I'm halfway through cooking.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only have a fingerprick type monitor and my BG levels are very rarely low even before a meal. My short acting insulin is Humilin S and I usually take about 32/34 units just before I serve a meal. Does that make sense? Or perhaps I should take it when I'm halfway through cooking.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resourc...0of%20Leicester%20-%20Insulin%20Profiles.pdf?

According to the chart, humulin S is taken 15-30 mins before food. I don’t know many T1s on humulin S so I cannot comment. If you have the means to self fund a libre, you can see how long it takes to kick in. Some T1s have said novorapid takes a very long time to kick in on their libre compared to what the chart has stated.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2017-10/University%20Hospitals%20of%20Leicester%20-%20Insulin%20Profiles.pdf?

According to the chart, humulin S is taken 15-30 mins before food. I don’t know many T1s on humulin S so I cannot comment. If you have the means to self fund a libre, you can see how long it takes to kick in. Some T1s have said novorapid takes a very long time to kick in on their libre compared to what the chart has stated.

Thanks so much for that information. I'll have to look into a libre. I don't know, yet, whether I am T1 or T2 - I have asked for a c-peptide test to make a start on investigating that. Blood test was done about 5 weeks ago and I am awaiting the result. The assumption is that I am T2. I took 36 units of my Humilin S when I started making my lunch (which did contain some small amount of carbs) so it was about 20 minutes later when I ate my lunch. Starting reading was 10.8, which is why I took a larger dose of Humilin S. After lunch it was 10. So it did reduce, but it's still high.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks so much for that information. I'll have to look into a libre. I don't know, yet, whether I am T1 or T2 - I have asked for a c-peptide test to make a start on investigating that. Blood test was done about 5 weeks ago and I am awaiting the result. The assumption is that I am T2. I took 36 units of my Humilin S when I started making my lunch (which did contain some small amount of carbs) so it was about 20 minutes later when I ate my lunch. Starting reading was 10.8, which is why I took a larger dose of Humilin S. After lunch it was 10. So it did reduce, but it's still high.
Looking at your profile the meds you are on do indicate an assumption of T2. Why do you suspect T1?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking at your profile the meds you are on do indicate an assumption of T2. Why do you suspect T1?

The diagnosis of T2 was made on the basis of a urine test (which I asked for) by a locum doctor and was never checked by any other method. Since taking insulin doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference it seems likely that I am insulin resistant and, even when I fast without taking any insulin my BG can, sometimes, drop like a stone, which to me indicates that I am producing insulin, and therefore am not T1.

However, I have had problems with sugars for most of my adult life - problems which were never investigated or diagnosed as anything at all but which may well have been due to some type of diabetes. The whole point is that I just don't know and I am trying to get some kind of investigation done to be sure what I am dealing with here. I am on these meds because I was put onto insulin while in hospital with the assurance that I would come off it again as soon as my procedure was done. It didn't happen and nobody either could or would tell me why. Since then my BG control has been shot to pieces. Even though I am low carbing most of the time my levels are much higher than they should be, though my diabetic nurse says she's quite happy with the figures I show her. I am also well overweight and my dietician can only repeat that I should be eating more than I am and should be eating lots of carbs "to feed the insulin"!

You may see that I have little confidence in the health professionals here. That's why I want to check out everything for myself, as much as I can.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2017-10/University%20Hospitals%20of%20Leicester%20-%20Insulin%20Profiles.pdf?

Just checked out Freestyle Libre online. Sadly, there's no way I can self-fund that. I'll just have to keep going with the finger prick monitor - maybe check it more often - I do get the strips on prescription. As long as my GP doesn't object, I'll have to do it that way.

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just checked out Freestyle Libre online. Sadly, there's no way I can self-fund that. I'll just have to keep going with the finger prick monitor - maybe check it more often - I do get the strips on prescription. As long as my GP doesn't object, I'll have to do it that way.
Abbott online is quite expensive, but most of us have been buying it from the local pharmacies. ASDA are doing them for £46 or so, I cannot comment anywhere else.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would make sure that your BG levels are checked once your baby is born. If my initial problem was GD, then it didn't end when my last son was born. My daughter-in-law also had GD when she was expecting her 3rd child, and it was assumed that, once her baby was born, everything would return to normal, so nobody checked. Much later she was diagnosed as T2 and put onto insulin directly. She is now permanently on insulin. I'm not saying that this happens to everybody because, without doubt, GD does go away for many (most?) mothers, but it is worth making a check to make sure.

All good wishes for yourself and your baby.
I did return to normal for a while but after no.6 I tried the implant which caused a hormonal imbalance which caused me to develop fibromyalgia and type 2 diabetes (medication induced) I fought hard to get the implant removed and they were so reluctant my husband and I cut it out, the fibromyalgia went away but the diabetes took time and a lit of hard work to get resolved, but I managed it with a very low carb diet and intermittent fasting.
I did fall pregnant in that time and had no.7 and didn't need medication for the whole pregnancy and everything was fantastic... after pregnancy I could introduce a few carbs but I was determined to not to go back as I had list so much weight and felt great with plenty of energy... then we had a stressful period... really stressful and I ended up very very ill. I also ended up pregnant again, this baby made anything low carb impossible to eat and was just eating to stop vomiting! We then had another stressful period which we are still in and I'm feeling strong enough to try to get myself sorted again, I'm feeling really angry at myself for not staying low carb as I put on most of the weight I lost and my bgl are no longer under control.
After baby is born I will carry on low carbing and testing to make sure I stay healthy to raise my children and do it with energy and the way I want to... high blood sugars is just too tiring lol.

Thanks for the advice everyone I have been reading them all and I will try taking the novorapid 20 mins b4 eating... I think they say immediately b4 eating incase you forget and end up going hypo. I'm probably going to be one of those ppl as I spent 15 minutes walking round the market carpark looking for my car... I just wish my vocabulary wasn't as affected as it is lol.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @busydiabeticmum
Sorry I was just reading through it and I was wondering if you had any tests to indicate you're producing your own insulin, like a cpeptide test? Because if you are, then it's insulin resistance that needs solving and injecting more insulin can be seen as counterproductive. You seem a bit insulin resistant from what you have said so far, it could be your pregnancy making you that way and the hormones making your BG readings go haywire. As for low carbing you might need to speak with your team to adjust insulin for it, hypos can occur when there isn't enough carbs on board.
Some T1s have experienced novorapid taking too long to kick in on their libre graphs so some have switched to a different bolus insulin called Fiasp - much faster and quicker than it's cousin novorapid. But I'm not too sure if fiasp will help in your case if you're insulin resistant. I was also wondering whether it is worth you getting a libre to see where needs adjusting. So you may have to ask your team about it.
I wish you the best of luck and a healthy pregnancy journey. :)

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Abbott online is quite expensive, but most of us have been buying it from the local pharmacies. ASDA are doing them for £46 or so, I cannot comment anywhere else.

We have a branch of Boots in Stornoway which might have the libre, so I could ask there but Boots is not known to be very cheap for anything. We don't have any other store which might stock them. I might have managed something like £46, but not the £140+ being asked for by Abbott.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have a branch of Boots in Stornoway which might have the libre, so I could ask there but Boots is not known to be very cheap for anything. We don't have any other store which might stock them. I might have managed something like £46, but not the £140+ being asked for by Abbott.
If you have a phone with NFC, you can just buy the sensors and use your phone to scan the sensor without having to buy the reader.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have a phone with NFC, you can just buy the sensors and use your phone to scan the sensor without having to buy the reader.
I don't have a mobile phone. This is beginning to be a bit of a problem since everyone assumes that I must have. But I'm a bit of a Luddite (only a bit, I don't go around damaging other people's phones etc) and the top of the range communications technology, as far as I'm concerned, is my laptop and e-mail. Couldn't afford a smartphone anyway. Restricted income means restrictions on a lot of things, I'm afraid. Luckily, in Scotland, medical treatment and prescriptions are free. I'll see what Boots have next time I'm in town.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @busydiabeticmum
Sorry I was just reading through it and I was wondering if you had any tests to indicate you're producing your own insulin, like a cpeptide test? Because if you are, then it's insulin resistance that needs solving and injecting more insulin can be seen as counterproductive. You seem a bit insulin resistant from what you have said so far, it could be your pregnancy making you that way and the hormones making your BG readings go haywire. As for low carbing you might need to speak with your team to adjust insulin for it, hypos can occur when there isn't enough carbs on board.
Some T1s have experienced novorapid taking too long to kick in on their libre graphs so some have switched to a different bolus insulin called Fiasp - much faster and quicker than it's cousin novorapid. But I'm not too sure if fiasp will help in your case if you're insulin resistant. I was also wondering whether it is worth you getting a libre to see where needs adjusting. So you may have to ask your team about it.
I wish you the best of luck and a healthy pregnancy journey. :)
They have just never tested for that, that's exactly what I told them yesterday though, I was in hospital for my appointments, I stood my ground as they told me off for not eating more carbs, I asked questions such as if I am insulin resistant in the mornings etc, but apart from them agreeing with me on that they didn't answer anything else.

They did put my insulin up though!

Thanks guys, I think I will only get answers if I have a better team... back in hospital today... maybe I will get an answer today.