Review with nurse

Paulm80

Had my first review and foot check today, feet all fine so am at low risk, blood pressure perfect and I've lost 2 stone so my bmi is now classed as overweight no longer obese! 3kg to go for the supposedly magic 15 kg in 3 months! Anyone else achieved remission by losing this amount in 3 months??

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in remission due to keeping my blood glucose under control - my weight is down about 20Kg, but as a result of controlling my diabetes, not the other way around.
The weight gain was a result of diabetes in the first place, and all those 'healthy' carbs I was advised to eat.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for the weight loss and blood pressure!

I hope they gave you actual numbers for your HbA1c? All to often people are told it is 'fine' and then discover that their health care person was being all too economical with the truth.

If you ring up and ask, or go online (if you have internet access to your results) then you should be able to get the actual numbers, and then find out where that places you on the glucose dysregulation spectrum.

As for 'the magic 15kg in 3 months'... um... what magic?
Do you mean the general idea that people doing the Newcastle Diet tend to get better results if they lose either 15% of their bodyweight, or 15kg? The number is really very vague and gets quoted as different things, and different importance, in different places. Plus of course varies tremendously from person to person - and from their weight starting point, and the amount of fat they were carrying in the liver. The 15kg/% is just an average figure taken from the number of participants in the trial. No mystery about it..

And the 3 months thing... Professor Taylor has himself stated that it doesn't matter how fast or slow, or what weight loss method is used, the result should be the same.

I'm sorry.
I have just re-read my post and decided that I sound like I want to squelch on your achievement.
I can assure you that I don't. I want to celebrate it! You have lost a really impressive amount of weight and it must have taken a lot of effort and commitment - and those things are wonderful. Well done!

But at the same time I am a little concerned that someone somewhere must have told you that there was something extra special about hitting a 15kg weight loss target within a 3 month timescale.
I would really like to know what basis they are making that claim, because I haven't seen one.

Paulm80

I hope they gave you actual numbers for your HbA1c? All to often people are told it is 'fine' and then discover that their health care person was being all too economical with the truth.

If you ring up and ask, or go online (if you have internet access to your results) then you should be able to get the actual numbers, and then find out where that places you on the glucose dysregulation spectrum.

Do you mean the general idea that people doing the Newcastle Diet tend to get better results if they lose either 15% of their bodyweight, or 15kg? The number is really very vague and gets quoted as different things, and different importance, in different places. Plus of course varies tremendously from person to person - and from their weight starting point, and the amount of fat they were carrying in the liver. The 15kg/% is just an average figure taken from the number of participants in the trial. No mystery about it..

And the 3 months thing... Professor Taylor has himself stated that it doesn't matter how fast or slow, or what weight loss method is used, the result should be the same.

My first hbac1 was 60 second 54 so waiting until 19th September for next bloods, cut carbs to around 20-30 gs a day tho so pretty optimistic! We will see though!

Paulm80

I'm sorry.
I have just re-read my post and decided that I sound like I want to squelch on your achievement.
I can assure you that I don't. I want to celebrate it! You have lost a really impressive amount of weight and it must have taken a lot of effort and commitment - and those things are wonderful. Well done!

But at the same time I am a little concerned that someone somewhere must have told you that there was something extra special about hitting a 15kg weight loss target within a 3 month timescale.
I would really like to know what basis they are making that claim, because I haven't seen one.

My doctor is pretty good on this sort of thing as her husband has it, she recommends low carb high fat which is not the norm, she told me if I lose the weight quickly it shocks the pancreas and should be able to achieve remission!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor is pretty good on this sort of thing as her husband has it, she recommends low carb high fat which is not the norm, she told me if I lose the weight quickly it shocks the pancreas and should be able to achieve remission!

Well, you got me curious about this, so I went for a trundle through the internet, and found the following link, produced about the ND Powerpoint study.
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwncla...sonancecentre/files/pancreas-study-slides.pdf

I heard him talk about this on one of his progress report presentations while the second study was still ongoing. Afraid I cannot find the link to the video talk itself, or I would provide it.

Fascinating to see the differences between T2s and non T2s, including the insulin resistance and fat levels. :D

As for the idea that it shocks the pancreas, again, I would be interested in seeing some evidence of that, because it just looks like normal weight loss, to me.

But I'm really sorry - I am derailing your thread - so will stop.

I really do want to congratulate you on your success. It is a huge achievement! :):):)

Paulm80

Well, you got me curious about this, so I went for a trundle through the internet, and found the following link, produced about the ND Powerpoint study.
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwncla...sonancecentre/files/pancreas-study-slides.pdf

I heard him talk about this on one of his progress report presentations while the second study was still ongoing. Afraid I cannot find the link to the video talk itself, or I would provide it.

Fascinating to see the differences between T2s and non T2s, including the insulin resistance and fat levels. :D

As for the idea that it shocks the pancreas, again, I would be interested in seeing some evidence of that, because it just looks like normal weight loss, to me.

But I'm really sorry - I am derailing your thread - so will stop.

I really do want to congratulate you on your success. It is a huge achievement! :):):)

Haha it's cool do t worry all opinions welcome! The proof will be in the pudding I guess! Or the cheeseboard for us

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my first review and foot check today, feet all fine so am at low risk, blood pressure perfect and I've lost 2 stone so my bmi is now classed as overweight no longer obese! 3kg to go for the supposedly magic 15 kg in 3 months! Anyone else achieved remission by losing this amount in 3 months??

Well done - Great achievement - Onwards and Upwards