Yet another DN review

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I think I have read enough to be convinced that higher levels aren't problematic and having had a CAC scan have looked at the "problem" directly rather than via proxies so...
In your shoes I wouldn't be worried but that's me...
I love your positivity. Will determine in myself not to be a wuss, and take on board that with blood levels in the non diabetic range I have reduced the risk of diabetes complications which far outweighs any "risk" associated with higher cholesterol. Thank you for your comments and support.

Reactions: Prem51

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know much about cholesterol but I am very pleased about your hba1c and happy about your weight loss too, very well done!
I know I'm not your annoying DN but maybe my opinion and that of other forum members make up a little :)
Keep up the good work!
I decided to post because I needed the encouragement you have offered, we all know this journey can be hard work and has a lot of unknowns. At a previous meeting when I first got my bloods down from 53 to 47, even with my body stressed because of heart issues, I was expecting to go in and be told, well done you have got your bloods down, it didn't happen then either, doc basically just said you really need to get your bloods lower than 47, (he wasn't being mean, I think he was just trying to say I needed a better safety zone) I got them lower with a lot of hard work, presented myself and got what seemed like a slap in the face, so thank you once again and others for your encouragement, it goes a long way and is much appreciated.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to "hack" your cholesterol numbers then have a read of Dave Feldmans lowering protocol.
Personally elevated cholesterol levels don't worry me at all.
Lose the weight then stabilise for 6 months then get tested.
Just watched a David Feldman presentation on hacking cholesterol. V. Interesting particularly as I had cut down on fat in the lead up to the HbA1c and included an IF in the previous three days and fasted for most of the day before. Maybe I shot myself in the foot. I need to read more. Thank you once again @bulkbiker.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They don't upload tests online so cant log in for them or at least I don't think so, it may need additional access so I will ask, would save a lot of future arguments. Regarding print outs, it depends on who I speak to, reception is a no no but I may be able to get a previous copy if I write a letter to the practice manager, I will try as it would be useful for comparison purposes. Good idea thanks.
Have you tried asking for a SCARF form so that you can access your tests online?

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried asking for a SCARF form so that you can access your tests online?
I have not heard of a SCARF form and Mr Google isn't giving me anything likely. If it's the same as registering for patient access, then I have already registered for this service except however there is very little to show apart from any repeat meds and appointment history. Nothing at all in my medical history. Not sure if the surgery provides online test results as a service. It could of course be that there is another level of access which I have not been given. I need to ask which I will do when I am next in.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked my surgery yesterday why I couldn’t get on line access and was told it depended on what the practice had signed up to - not much in my case ie making appointments, ordering repeat prescriptions and a list of allergies!

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked my surgery yesterday why I couldn’t get on line access and was told it depended on what the practice had signed up to - not much in my case ie making appointments, ordering repeat prescriptions and a list of allergies!
Mine doesn't do online appointment bookings our process is you call in before 08:30 if it is an emergency or ring up between 02:00 and 04:00pm to book. This actually works better than my previous practice and the online booking system as you could never get an appointment for the doctor you wished to see.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine doesn't do online appointment bookings our process is you call in before 08:30 if it is an emergency or ring up between 02:00 and 04:00pm to book. This actually works better than my previous practice and the online booking system as you could never get an appointment for the doctor you wished to see.
Sometimes I wonder why I bother to log in as I have the same problem re appointments

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your lucky to have a fun review as I only see them once in a blue moon and that is if I need to see them and they don't look for me and when I see a doctor every year I may see 1 but other than that I have to look after myself and check everything and if I find anything or have a problem that is the only time and that is the same for my eyes for the tests and that I am not worried about but I find it is up to the hospital to see me and that I don't need to chase up appointments or anything else

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not heard of a SCARF form and Mr Google isn't giving me anything likely. If it's the same as registering for patient access, then I have already registered for this service except however there is very little to show apart from any repeat meds and appointment history. Nothing at all in my medical history. Not sure if the surgery provides online test results as a service. It could of course be that there is another level of access which I have not been given. I need to ask which I will do when I am next in.
The SCARF form gives further access i.e. to medical test records. I already had patient access but needed to complete the SCARF form to go the stage further. It took just a few days from submission to access the extra information.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The SCARF form gives further access i.e. to medical test records. I already had patient access but needed to complete the SCARF form to go the stage further. It took just a few days from submission to access the extra information.
Thanks for the heads up, I will look into this further next time I visit.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the heads up, I will look into this further next time I visit.
Good luck with that. It does seem that every surgery has its own set of rules and regs and procedures etc. It would be nice if they were all on the same page at the same time lol.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your lucky to have a fun review as I only see them once in a blue moon and that is if I need to see them and they don't look for me and when I see a doctor every year I may see 1 but other than that I have to look after myself and check everything and if I find anything or have a problem that is the only time and that is the same for my eyes for the tests and that I am not worried about but I find it is up to the hospital to see me and that I don't need to chase up appointments or anything else
Pretty rubbish isn't it and much more difficult to keep on track if you do not have a target meeting to work to. Or it would be for me.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with that. It does seem that every surgery has its own set of rules and regs and procedures etc. It would be nice if they were all on the same page at the same time lol.
Here's hoping, fingers crossed.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mine is done by the hospital as my GP only done a urine test when I was diagnosed and told me to go to the hospital after he made all the arrangements and ever since I have been there and I have been doing my own insulin adjustments as I was told how to do them and they only want me at the hospital for the check ups and to see if I am having any problems or issues or concerns other than that I am on my own and that is how it has been for a while now but I only see a nurse at my gp's to give blood and they are the same only see me if something crops up otherwise

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is done by the hospital as my GP only done a urine test when I was diagnosed and told me to go to the hospital after he made all the arrangements and ever since I have been there and I have been doing my own insulin adjustments as I was told how to do them and they only want me at the hospital for the check ups and to see if I am having any problems or issues or concerns other than that I am on my own and that is how it has been for a while now but I only see a nurse at my gp's to give blood and they are the same only see me if something crops up otherwise

Didn't realise you were insulin dependent, I was talking to my sister a couple of days ago, she is also insulin dependent and seems to follow the same procedure as you. Bloods nurse and visits to hospital for reviews, I think she may have additional support from her GP surgery as she has other issues, but I'm not sure. Its sounds as if you are looking after yourself well and but I hope you have family around you to give any additional support when you need it. All the best C.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great HbA1c and weight reduction @ryhopian. My total cholesterol level also went up after T2 diagnosis from 4.7 to 6.12 the following year, mainly because I stopped taking statins.
It has since fallen (5.5 at HbA1c last October). I don't worry about that as a higher cholesterol level is also supposed to be better for older men.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great HbA1c and weight reduction @ryhopian. My total cholesterol level also went up after T2 diagnosis from 4.7 to 6.12 the following year, mainly because I stopped taking statins.
It has since fallen (5.5 at HbA1c last October). I don't worry about that as a higher cholesterol level is also supposed to be better for older men.
Thanks for your good wishes and supportive information. I look forward to my cholesterol reducing if ever I get my weight stabilized and as a result of reading all the informative posts and encouragements I have received from posters, I am certainly less anxious than I was. I thought I may have to ditch the thick double cream, my only treat, but you know what, yesterday I had a double portion instead ;)

Reactions: Prem51

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm getting around as it comes but I have family but see them once every so often and that I have found to my liking as I have looked after myself for a long time and now the crack for each part of type 2 diabetes as been on all of them tablets diet's and nothing but my pancreas but now I'm on insulin for life and that I can't do anything about but I have been on every combination that you can think of and I have tried it and each insulin has made me resistant to it but up to now the combination of lantus and Novorapid is working with only small amounts as the last time I was on novorapid and levimer I was in the hundreds for units of insulin due to the resistance of it but now I'm just on small amounts except the lantus which is still a little high but that I can't help and the meter I'm using is the contour next one meter and I have been for awhile now and that I use with my phone so I can send my readings if I have to to anyone who wants them but they have to request them or if I am not feeling well and I want a second opinion and they can advise

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm getting around as it comes but I have family but see them once every so often and that I have found to my liking as I have looked after myself for a long time and now the crack for each part of type 2 diabetes as been on all of them tablets diet's and nothing but my pancreas but now I'm on insulin for life and that I can't do anything about but I have been on every combination that you can think of and I have tried it and each insulin has made me resistant to it but up to now the combination of lantus and Novorapid is working with only small amounts as the last time I was on novorapid and levimer I was in the hundreds for units of insulin due to the resistance of it but now I'm just on small amounts except the lantus which is still a little high but that I can't help and the meter I'm using is the contour next one meter and I have been for awhile now and that I use with my phone so I can send my readings if I have to to anyone who wants them but they have to request them or if I am not feeling well and I want a second opinion and they can advise

Gosh I don't know how I would cope, well done you!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed