Yet another DN review

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems as if this is the week for DN reviews wasn't going to post but what the heck. I have a couple of questions anyway.

Had my review a couple of days ago. HbA1c was 39 which I was quite pleased about. Anyway, thought she might be pleased too but just said your bloods are 39, that was it. I have lost 20 kilos in the last 6/7 months thought that might have been a positive but weight wasn't even mentioned. (Doesn't happen like that on GPs behind closed doors) No the one (and only) thing uppermost in her mind was my cholesterol which has gone up from 4.8 to 6.7. As it was inevitable that we were going to discuss this, I asked for a printout of my blood results so I had something in front of me Every time I ask for printouts there is a great reluctance to provide them, reception is the worst - they take the view why would I want them. When I insisted, I actually found out the problem was the nurse didn't know how to print these off, (training issue perhaps) she eventually managed to print a copy off.
Anyway to get back to the test results: It was actually quite a shock to me to find out that my cholesterol had risen so much but I was not impressed when she said WE have to do something about that. After a conversation about how my risk of stroke or heart disease had increased, I explained that I had already warned the doctor that my cholesterol would rise because I was eating low carb and was losing weight and expected this to be temporary, in any case my comment to her then was "I am not taking statins". She didn't comment about the low carb nor tell me I should be eating Eatwell which was a positive, but did ask what kind of foods I was eating. I thought this might be my opportunity to talk about the foods I eat and how low carb foods had had helped me gain control of my blood sugars but no, she just wanted to know what I was eating in case I was eating something which was impacting on my cholesterol. I realized this when she advocated eating omega 3 foods (which I do in any case) but also thought I might be eating too many avocadoes because of the fat content. Strange as I was reading that avocados are good for reducing cholesterol. Anyway you can tell by the tone that I am having a bit of a rant I came out of that meeting so downhearted that I felt like succumbing to cake! She has left me concerned about my cholesterol, not because of any potential heart disease, but rather I have always kept my cholesterol in check and don't know how to get it down if I need to. Should I be concerned? I entered my results into https://cholesterolcode.com/new-report-tool-launched/ and these came back as follows:
Total Cholesterol: 259 mg/dL 6.7 mmol/L
LDL Cholesterol: 201 mg/dL 5.2 mmol/L
HDL Cholesterol: 50 mg/dL 1.3 mmol/L
Triglycerides: 89 mg/d 1 mmol/L

---------RISK REPORT---------
Atherogenic Index of Plasma: -0.114 mg/dL = Lowest Risk Third
Low Risk <––-0.114––•––––––––––•––––––––––> High Risk
Go to tinyurl.com/ycccmmnx for more on AIP
Framingham Offspring: 0.7 Odds Ratio = Low Risk
Low Risk <–––•0.7•–––•–––•–––•–––•–––•–––•–––•–––•–––> High Risk
Go to tinyurl.com/y5fc5adl for more on this Framingham study
Jeppesen risk tertial: Medium Risk Third
Low Risk <––––––––––•––––[X]––––•––––––––––> High Risk

Hope I worked out the LDL number correctly.

It's the Jeppesen risk tertial that concerns me as it is showing Medium Risk Third (Standard Hyper Responder) but don't know if I should be looking to get this down and if so, how apart from eating lots of avocadoes?

Apologies for the long post.

Reactions: Prem51 and JoycieW

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my cholesterol which has gone up from 4.8 to 6.7.
This is quite a common occurrence when weight loss is happening and shouldn't be anything to worry about.
In your shoes I'd leave it another 6 months and go back for another test especially if your weight stabilises in the interim (providing you are where you want to be of course).

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This is quite a common occurrence when weight loss is happening and shouldn't be anything to worry about.
In your shoes I'd leave it another 6 months and go back for another test especially if your weight stabilises in the interim (providing you are where you want to be of course).
I need to lose at least another stone so my concern is if the cholesterol goes up even more then it may become even more difficult for me to get it down so I wondered if I should be tweaking my diet to at least stall it if I can?

Reactions: 1spuds

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When looking around the BMJ Open site I discovered that living longer is associated with higher levels of LDL, - they checked age at death with blood tests for tens of thousands of individuals. I suspect that a lot of time effort and money has been wasted chasing low cholesterol levels.

Reactions: Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to lose at least another stone so my concern is if the cholesterol goes up even more then it may become even more difficult for me to get it down so I wondered if I should be tweaking my diet to at least stall it if I can?
Stabilising weight loss should lower it again. Think of the body fats leaving your body via the blood as lipids.

Eating low carb to reduce blood sugar levels and inflammation and avoiding processed foods especially the seed and vegetable oils is probably the best thing you can do. And as suggested test again once weight loss has been static for a while. 6 months allows time to lose the stone and also be stable. If it takes longer just push the test back a bit. It’s often only done annually anyway.

Have you read the thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/. If not can I suggest you do.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and do you have (or can you get hold of ) older cholesterol tests you can punch the numbers on. And check ratios? They may still have improved despite overall higher numbers.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my review a couple of days ago. HbA1c was 39 which I was quite pleased about. Anyway, thought she might be pleased too but just said your bloods are 39, that was it. I have lost 20 kilos in the last 6/7 months thought that might have been a positive but weight wasn't even mentioned.
I don't know much about cholesterol but I am very pleased about your hba1c and happy about your weight loss too, very well done!
I know I'm not your annoying DN but maybe my opinion and that of other forum members make up a little :)
Keep up the good work!

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When looking around the BMJ Open site I discovered that living longer is associated with higher levels of LDL, - they checked age at death with blood tests for tens of thousands of individuals. I suspect that a lot of time effort and money has been wasted chasing low cholesterol levels.
Yes I read somewhere but cannot now find where I got the info from that older women (I'm 66) are better with higher cholesterol, something like that.
I was feeling do downhearted but I've probably just got myself caught up in the brainwashing that we have had over the years... you must have low cholesterol, you must eat low fat, you must eat carbs. It took me a while to feel comfortable eating fats. During the meeting when she started talking about heart disease and strokes I was put on the defensive a bit as what is the situation here? I eat carbs, keep the cholesterol down a bit but end up having a stroke, heart attack or other life or death changing complications because of the diabetes. I did say that keeping bloods controlled was probably a better thing than higher cholesterol and that also that at a few months ago they were giving me tests for Atrial Fibrillation (turned out to be Ectopic) which would have given me a much higher risk of stroke or heart disease than any cholesterol percentages.

For me the track I am on is the way forward, but she's probably spoiled it for me (at least for a time) for eating too much cream, as this is my very favorite and only treat.

My file is probably marked now...:nailbiting::nailbiting:

Thanks for the heads up on the BMJ site, I will bookmark it for later reading.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to "hack" your cholesterol numbers then have a read of Dave Feldmans lowering protocol.
Personally elevated cholesterol levels don't worry me at all.
Lose the weight then stabilise for 6 months then get tested.

JoycieW

It seems as if this is the week for DN reviews wasn't going to post but what the heck. I have a couple of questions anyway.

Had my review a couple of days ago. HbA1c was 39 which I was quite pleased about. Anyway, thought she might be pleased too but just said your bloods are 39, that was it. I have lost 20 kilos in the last 6/7 months thought that might have been a positive but weight wasn't even mentioned. (Doesn't happen like that on GPs behind closed doors) No the one (and only) thing uppermost in her mind was my cholesterol which has gone up from 4.8 to 6.7. As it was inevitable that we were going to discuss this, I asked for a printout of my blood results so I had something in front of me Every time I ask for printouts there is a great reluctance to provide them, reception is the worst - they take the view why would I want them. When I insisted, I actually found out the problem was the nurse didn't know how to print these off, (training issue perhaps) she eventually managed to print a copy off.
Anyway to get back to the test results: It was actually quite a shock to me to find out that my cholesterol had risen so much but I was not impressed when she said WE have to do something about that. After a conversation about how my risk of stroke or heart disease had increased, I explained that I had already warned the doctor that my cholesterol would rise because I was eating low carb and was losing weight and expected this to be temporary, in any case my comment to her then was "I am not taking statins". She didn't comment about the low carb nor tell me I should be eating Eatwell which was a positive, but did ask what kind of foods I was eating. I thought this might be my opportunity to talk about the foods I eat and how low carb foods had had helped me gain control of my blood sugars but no, she just wanted to know what I was eating in case I was eating something which was impacting on my cholesterol. I realized this when she advocated eating omega 3 foods (which I do in any case) but also thought I might be eating too many avocadoes because of the fat content. Strange as I was reading that avocados are good for reducing cholesterol. Anyway you can tell by the tone that I am having a bit of a rant I came out of that meeting so downhearted that I felt like succumbing to cake! She has left me concerned about my cholesterol, not because of any potential heart disease, but rather I have always kept my cholesterol in check and don't know how to get it down if I need to. Should I be concerned? I entered my results into https://cholesterolcode.com/new-report-tool-launched/ and these came back as follows:
Total Cholesterol: 259 mg/dL 6.7 mmol/L
LDL Cholesterol: 201 mg/dL 5.2 mmol/L
HDL Cholesterol: 50 mg/dL 1.3 mmol/L
Triglycerides: 89 mg/d 1 mmol/L

---------RISK REPORT---------
Atherogenic Index of Plasma: -0.114 mg/dL = Lowest Risk Third
Low Risk <––-0.114––•––––––––––•––––––––––> High Risk
Go to tinyurl.com/ycccmmnx for more on AIP
Framingham Offspring: 0.7 Odds Ratio = Low Risk
Low Risk <–––•0.7•–––•–––•–––•–––•–––•–––•–––•–––•–––> High Risk
Go to tinyurl.com/y5fc5adl for more on this Framingham study
Jeppesen risk tertial: Medium Risk Third
Low Risk <––––––––––•––––[X]––––•––––––––––> High Risk

Hope I worked out the LDL number correctly.

It's the Jeppesen risk tertial that concerns me as it is showing Medium Risk Third (Standard Hyper Responder) but don't know if I should be looking to get this down and if so, how apart from eating lots of avocadoes?

Apologies for the long post.
Sounds to me like you are doing a great job in improving your overall health. I've heard it said that it takes a year to heal the body for every decade of poor nutrition. Hang in there!

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Stabilising weight loss should lower it again. Think of the body fats leaving your body via the blood as lipids. Brilliant.

Eating low carb to reduce blood sugar levels and inflammation and avoiding processed foods especially the seed and vegetable oils is probably the best thing you can do. I agree.

And as suggested test again once weight loss has been static for a while. 6 months allows time to lose the stone and also be stable. If it takes longer just push the test back a bit. It’s often only done annually anyway. I asked if I could return after 6 months as I thought it would help me keep focused on my eating plan, so it would be no big deal to push the dates back to the annual meeting she was suggesting. It may be that I pay for a cholesterol test in 6 months to see what that brings. Thanks.

Have you read the thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/. If not can I suggest you do. Yes, this is an invaluable thread, well done to @bulkbiker for starting it. I followed this with great interest when it was being compiled but I need to revisit as I did get to look at all the links.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and do you have (or can you get hold of ) older cholesterol tests you can punch the numbers on. And check ratios? They may still have improved despite overall higher numbers.
They don't upload tests online so cant log in for them or at least I don't think so, it may need additional access so I will ask, would save a lot of future arguments. Regarding print outs, it depends on who I speak to, reception is a no no but I may be able to get a previous copy if I write a letter to the practice manager, I will try as it would be useful for comparison purposes. Good idea thanks.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to "hack" your cholesterol numbers then have a read of Dave Feldmans lowering protocol.
Personally elevated cholesterol levels don't worry me at all.
Lose the weight then stabilise for 6 months then get tested.
Will do and thank you. I wish I was a laid back as you but I am a stress head however it gave me great encouragement and some relief when I noted that some of your levels are quite high. I should follow your example shouldn't I?

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds to me like you are doing a great job in improving your overall health. I've heard it said that it takes a year to heal the body for every decade of poor nutrition. Hang in there!
Thank you for your encouraging comments. When I was first diagnosed I read all the stuff by Roy Taylor regarding weight loss so gave myself a year to loss sufficient weight to reduce my numbers. Don't believe it is all about weight loss now think the low carb is the best and actually easiest solution, and yes, it seems reasonable that it might take a number of years for our bodies to overcome the abuse they have gone through.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will do and thank you. I wish I was a laid back as you but I am a stress head however it gave me great encouragement and some relief when I noted that some of your levels are quite high. I should follow your example shouldn't I?
Well I think I have read enough to be convinced that higher levels aren't problematic and having had a CAC scan have looked at the "problem" directly rather than via proxies so...
In your shoes I wouldn't be worried but that's me...