Milk

Wojo38

Hello lovelly people
I read that cow milk is poor evil.
I am looking for plant based milk that is similar taste to normal milk.or that would be nice on kellogs etc.Any recomendation?be bought kolo unsweetened coconut and rice milk,it is okish...thank you

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello lovelly people
I am looking for plant based milk that is similar taste to normal milk.or that would be nice on kellogs etc.Any recomendation?be bought kolo unsweetened coconut and rice milk,it is okish...thank you
Hello, how are you?
It's all personal taste really - I find soy tastes the best with tea, coffee, cereals, in foods as well. Have you tried lacto-free milk?
Oat and rice milk has some level of carbs in it, so I don't indulge on oat milk. Almond, hazelnut, coconut, are okay not my favourites though.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy alpro soy or almond unsweetened milk because they are low in carb. I can’t tell the difference in the taste.... ?

Reactions: Wojo38
D

Deleted member 308541

read that cow milk is poor evil.
I am looking for plant based milk that is similar taste to normal milk.or that would be nice on kellogs etc
Beware of the carbs in the cereals more than the cows milk if your T2.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello lovelly people

Hello lovely new member,

Well? You are right in respect that it may not do a diabetic without the means to "bolus for it" (inject insulin to compensate.) any favours.. With possibly just under half? The carb content of full on Coke (per volume.) & the same token in sugar snapping on its heals in lactose? Any fat content (not found in Coke?) may also delay or extend the rise in BG? Cow's milk can have a "pizza effect."

As an insulin dependant diabetes for as long as I remember it's also saved my life. "Evil" is a matter of perspective.
There seems to be a consensus regarding the Kellogs cereal too which I would agree but a little less added sugar than a coppy brand..
But we digress.

@Wojo38 , I believe from your earlier postings you speak on behalf of your diabetic husband.
I looked up the nutritional value of the milk mentioned & found "Koko" which fits your description. (Unless I've totally found the wrong product.) Seems nominal (marginal carb & "of which are sugars" wise.) compared to a cow & Coke.
I also understand your husband has a meter... Let that meter be the guide.

Reactions: SueUnwin and Prem51

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't know about milk, but Kellogs is definitely evil!

Reactions: michita

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby eat wholegrain cereals,like basic one,we wanna change milk
Yeah, the point being... Though there's a little lactose (milksugar) in the milk, there's a LOT of carbs in the cereal. And carbs turn to glucose once ingested. If you switch out the milk for an alternative it might make a difference of one, maybe two grams of ingested sugar. The carb content of kelloggs corn flakes is 84%. It's not just the sugar. Wholegrain cereals, same problem. There's a lot of starches in there, and those are the issue for a T2. Might as well eat a couple of sugar cubes for breakfast, technically speaking. *shrug*

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

Wojo38

Hello lovely new member,

Well? You are right in respect that it may not do a diabetic without the means to "bolus for it" (inject insulin to compensate.) any favours.. With possibly just under half? The carb content of full on Coke (per volume.) & the same token in sugar snapping on its heals in lactose? Any fat content (not found in Coke?) may also delay or extend the rise in BG? Cow's milk can have a "pizza effect."

As an insulin dependant diabetes for as long as I remember it's also saved my life. "Evil" is a matter of perspective.
There seems to be a consensus regarding the Kellogs cereal too which I would agree but a little less added sugar than a coppy brand..
But we digress.

@Wojo38 , I believe from your earlier postings you speak on behalf of your diabetic husband.
I looked up the nutritional value of the milk mentioned & found "Koko" which fits your description. (Unless I've totally found the wrong product.) Seems nominal (marginal carb & "of which are sugars" wise.) compared to a cow & Coke.
I also understand your husband has a meter... Let that meter be the guide.
Hello
Thank you,yes I ask for my hubby.
He eat cheaper version of kellogs i just call them like that becouse I dont now the lidl brand.compering to choclate bars and sandwiches he had before,I think it is better swap for that cereals,it is just a milk,we check once,after no food ,after a night shift his level was 137.he had 6 unsweted cookies and glass of milk and two hours of sleep and level goes to 200 ;(
Also after 4 beers and 2 sandwiches he hit the record 280 in the evening,that was weekend.we wanted to see how it will affect him,shocked!before we know about diabetes,he drank like 7 Magners cider in the evening then have pizza at night.(weekends)I dont even wanna think what sugar level would it be.we notice if he eat and do some kind of activity suger go down.
He drinks now non alcoholic beers but I donf know if there is such diffrece compering to normal one?
Oww and after Chinese takaway he hit a lot like 220.we keep trying now what affect him most

Wojo38

Yeah, the point being... Though there's a little lactose (milksugar) in the milk, there's a LOT of carbs in the cereal. And carbs turn to glucose once ingested. If you switch out the milk for an alternative it might make a difference of one, maybe two grams of ingested sugar. The carb content of kelloggs corn flakes is 84%. It's not just the sugar. Wholegrain cereals, same problem. There's a lot of starches in there, and those are the issue for a T2. Might as well eat a couple of sugar cubes for breakfast, technically speaking. *shrug*
So wholegrain are as bad?what abiut weetabix or any kind of cereals?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
Thank you,yes I ask for my hubby.
He eat cheaper version of kellogs i just call them like that becouse I dont now the lidl brand.compering to choclate bars and sandwiches he had before,I think it is better swap for that cereals,it is just a milk,we check once,after no food ,after a night shift his level was 137.he had 6 unsweted cookies and glass of milk and two hours of sleep and level goes to 200 ;(
Also after 4 beers and 2 sandwiches he hit the record 280 in the evening,that was weekend.we wanted to see how it will affect him,shocked!before we know about diabetes,he drank like 7 Magners cider in the evening then have pizza at night.(weekends)I dont even wanna think what sugar level would it be.we notice if he eat and do some kind of activity suger go down.
He drinks now non alcoholic beers but I donf know if there is such diffrece compering to normal one?
Oww and after Chinese takaway he hit a lot like 220.we keep trying now what affect him most
Sorry to butt in again... But it's not just the sugars, it's the starches too. Practically all carbohydrates turn to blood glucose. That means grain products, things made with flour, like pasta, pizza, bread... Also no good for a T2: Rice, corn, fruit (save for berries when taken with something fatty), potatoes... And yeah, beer. (Though there are some brands that are okay. Check here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/alcohol-guide )

Maybe read this together.https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ It'll cut out a lot of experimentation that in the meantime, is raising your husband's bloodsugars to dangerous levels.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Prem51 and Wojo38

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So wholegrain are as bad?what abiut weetabix or any kind of cereals?
All cereals. Sorry. :(
Eggs and bacon/cheese/high meatcontent sausages are perfection though. Full fat greek yoghurt with some berries and nuts tossed in too... You could try it once and test before and after, see what the difference is....

mouseee

6 cookies unsweetened or not is huge amount of carbs plus milk which also has carbs. I'm not surprised bg went up.

I have got my BG down to generally under 6.5 with cutting almost all carbs out in just a few weeks. I don't touch anything with wheat or grains in it. I am T2 and so it's the most effective way of managing my BG. I take metformin but I am certain it's the changes I've made to what I eat that's done it. I'm a bit bad at remembering to take my tablets but I don't forget to eat!

Reactions: Prem51

Wojo38

Thanks for response guys
The thing is if that would be me i would eat vegetables and air.but he is tall strong men doing nights shifts,doing school runs and have not enough sleep.I work full time day he full time nights,we have 8year old to look after,it is very difficult for him cookwise,I need to find smth he would enjoy to eat and dont make him depressed becouse one of the joy from his life was taken away-food amd beer.it is very difficult be just started:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for response guys
The thing is if that would be me i would eat vegetables and air.but he is tall strong men doing nights shifts,doing school runs and have not enough sleep.I work full time day he full time nights,we have 8year old to look after,it is very difficult for him cookwise,I need to find smth he would enjoy to eat and dont make him depressed becouse one of the joy from his life was taken away-food amd beer.it is very difficult be just started:)

Hi,

It's fully appreciated, a hard working guy needs a little "reward" at the end of the day.. (& so do you!)
However, raised blood glucose out of the normal range can affect mood & psycological state?

There is a difference between being in control with diabetes & longing for what had to be given up to get there, to the possible alternative of feeling lost for the sake of not wishing to learn of new positive way forward..

Best wishes to your family.

Reactions: Prem51

Reemap

I can totally understand your husband condition.. suddenly giving up the things which he use to love eating is difficult. I am also trying to cope with my situation as I am also type 2. Eggs with veggies would be a good option for breakfast as it’s tasty too. Cereals are bad and can raise BG.

Reactions: Prem51 and Wojo38

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Milk. Great stuff. I drink 200ml of full fat milk most days. It fits into my carb allowance for the day quite nicely.