Type 1 Caring

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else ever stopped caring about diabetes even for one day what happens when you don’t really care anymore and stop insulin all day till dinner or all day and night

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, did it once.. (Long time ago...closer to 18 months.)

My folks & friends at the time (they didn't quite get it.) thought I was in serious trouble with drugs.. (It involved an age old story about a girl, but I woke up. She was actually into drugs. Me? Nah.) was starting to loose any "credibility."

There is a term called "diabetes burnout." (Look it up on this forum.) Did I personally have it? Maybe..

Please tell us more. Other T1s may help.

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say burnout you mean like you just stop injecting and checking bloods pretty much entirely

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never not injected. I went for quite a long time without being diagnosed, and it made me very ill, so I see insulin as preventing being ill like that again.

I think, maybe, for people who get diagnosed more quickly, taking insulin every day might, sometimes, feel more of a burden. That's just a guess but that does seem to happen a bit.

I have, at times, run a little high, as a way of not worrying too much about what happens. If you really feel the need to forget about it, then let your blood sugar run a little bit higher, rather than not injecting at all, which would have far more serious consequences.

The view is that 70% in a target range of 3.9 to 10 is good. So running in the 7s, 8s, 9s, even 10s, for a few days wouldn't do much harm. You don't want to do that for too long, but a little while wouldn't hurt, if you really feel fed up.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or to put it more succinctly, if you're feeling fed up set yourself a more easy to achieve target range for a bit on dexcom, 6-12 maybe, that's reduces the risk of hypos, and then you don't have to watch whats going on so much for a few days.

Reactions: EllieM

moori

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Im sorry you dont have patience for diabetes anymore. Im with you... It can get really frustrating. If you tell your nurse about your burnout, she might try to get you a pump. (personal experience) Now have a medtronic and freestyle and life is so much easier!!!
Hope it all works out for you, good luck

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Im sorry you dont have patience for diabetes anymore. Im with you... It can get really frustrating. If you tell your nurse about your burnout, she might try to get you a pump. (personal experience) Now have a medtronic and freestyle and life is so much easier!!!
Hope it all works out for you, good luck

Nah tried the pump they f**cking hurt

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or to put it more succinctly, if you're feeling fed up set yourself a more easy to achieve target range for a bit on dexcom, 6-12 maybe, that's reduces the risk of hypos, and then you don't have to watch whats going on so much for a few days.

I feel like **** at 10 or above

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel like **** at 10 or above

Go very low carb on days when you're not in the mood for the hassle? search out some foods you'd like, take the basal, and as little fast acting as possible. That would reduce the need to watch for the zig zags up and down.

Reactions: stonyb

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go very low carb on days when you're not in the mood for the hassle? search out some foods you'd like, take the basal, and as little fast acting as possible. That would reduce the need to watch for the zig zags up and down.

I’m on nova rapid and tajeo
Nova rapid being my fast acting
And tajeo being my slow acting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

You have a made very good constructive post and an achievable one too. :)

Reactions: Alison54321
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Has anyone else ever stopped caring about diabetes even for one day what happens when you don’t really care anymore and stop insulin all day till dinner or all day and night

I have never, ever done that, but have been through some really bad times, I want to live and I want to be there for my family. Diabetes sucks at times, but it's trying not to let it burden you or overwhelm you, don't let it take over your life, as diabetes is just a small part of who we are.

Reactions: Alison54321

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I too have grown up with T1D. Been thru a couple of stages where I couldnt care less about it. Totally regret doing that now!!!... I am 52, blind in my left eye and have stage 4CKD. Am now on a pump and have managed to get an A1C of 43. Life is way too short to be messing about with your diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I too have grown up with T1D. Been thru a couple of stages where I couldnt care less about it. Totally regret doing that now!!!... I am 52, blind in my left eye and have stage 4CKD. Am now on a pump and have managed to get an A1C of 43. Life is way too short to be messing about with your diabetes

Well done for turning things around, ((((( HUG )))))

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When you say burnout you mean like you just stop injecting and checking bloods pretty much entirely
Sad to say I did that for several years. Getting a Libre really helped get out of that hole.

Pablo1980

Sorry but I care but I’m not the best at managing it my hba1c has always been around 7 my bloods are up and down everyday I feel like I’m being told by family and doctors that I don’t care but I’m just frustrated I really don’t want to become ill as I have my own family now but I sometimes feel that no matter what I do I can’t balance it I miss needles at times have very high blood sugars that may surprise people like 27 very frequently and have a lot of hypos I’m in a bad place but I’m very stubborn I need a pump but nobody will give me the time of day

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friend,
I too, have grown up with diabetes. I had a difficult 3-4 years at the beginning of my diagnoses and it resulted in DKA several times. Back then variety of insulins and cgms were not that vast and not as cool as people who are newly diagnosed now. Growing up, yes I rebelled against my condition but it did me no good. When I started showing I was committed, thats when consultants wanted to help me. My consultant, although he is a bit of a straight firm faced pickle, he suggested different insulins and now I have the libre, what can I say? I feel much better and my hba1c was good - 47(averaged out with hypos and hypers) but now it's 42 and 55% in range. I feel like I'm getting more help now than before. We can all agree to some extend that erratic blood sugars causes mood swings