1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Caring

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Jed.s, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Jed.s

Jed.s Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Has anyone else ever stopped caring about diabetes even for one day what happens when you don’t really care anymore and stop insulin all day till dinner or all day and night

2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, did it once.. (Long time ago...closer to 18 months.)

My folks & friends at the time (they didn't quite get it.) thought I was in serious trouble with drugs.. (It involved an age old story about a girl, but I woke up. She was actually into drugs. Me? Nah.) was starting to loose any "credibility."

There is a term called "diabetes burnout." (Look it up on this forum.) Did I personally have it? Maybe..

Please tell us more. Other T1s may help.

• Hug Hug x 1
  3. Jed.s

When you say burnout you mean like you just stop injecting and checking bloods pretty much entirely

4. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've never not injected. I went for quite a long time without being diagnosed, and it made me very ill, so I see insulin as preventing being ill like that again.

I think, maybe, for people who get diagnosed more quickly, taking insulin every day might, sometimes, feel more of a burden. That's just a guess but that does seem to happen a bit.

I have, at times, run a little high, as a way of not worrying too much about what happens. If you really feel the need to forget about it, then let your blood sugar run a little bit higher, rather than not injecting at all, which would have far more serious consequences.

The view is that 70% in a target range of 3.9 to 10 is good. So running in the 7s, 8s, 9s, even 10s, for a few days wouldn't do much harm. You don't want to do that for too long, but a little while wouldn't hurt, if you really feel fed up.

5. Alison54321

Or to put it more succinctly, if you're feeling fed up set yourself a more easy to achieve target range for a bit on dexcom, 6-12 maybe, that's reduces the risk of hypos, and then you don't have to watch whats going on so much for a few days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. moori

moori Type 1 · Member

Hi! Im sorry you dont have patience for diabetes anymore. Im with you... It can get really frustrating. If you tell your nurse about your burnout, she might try to get you a pump. (personal experience) Now have a medtronic and freestyle and life is so much easier!!!
    Hope it all works out for you, good luck

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jed.s

Nah tried the pump they f**cking hurt

8. Jed.s

I feel like **** at 10 or above

9. Alison54321

Go very low carb on days when you're not in the mood for the hassle? search out some foods you'd like, take the basal, and as little fast acting as possible. That would reduce the need to watch for the zig zags up and down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jed.s

I’m on nova rapid and tajeo
    Nova rapid being my fast acting
    And tajeo being my slow acting

11. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

You have a made very good constructive post and an achievable one too. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Robinredbreast

I have never, ever done that, but have been through some really bad times, I want to live and I want to be there for my family. Diabetes sucks at times, but it's trying not to let it burden you or overwhelm you, don't let it take over your life, as diabetes is just a small part of who we are.

• Like Like x 1
  13. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I too have grown up with T1D. Been thru a couple of stages where I couldnt care less about it. Totally regret doing that now!!!... I am 52, blind in my left eye and have stage 4CKD. Am now on a pump and have managed to get an A1C of 43. Life is way too short to be messing about with your diabetes

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  14. Robinredbreast

Well done for turning things around, ((((( HUG )))))

15. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Sad to say I did that for several years. Getting a Libre really helped get out of that hole.

16. Pablo1980

Pablo1980 · Member

Sorry but I care but I’m not the best at managing it my hba1c has always been around 7 my bloods are up and down everyday I feel like I’m being told by family and doctors that I don’t care but I’m just frustrated I really don’t want to become ill as I have my own family now but I sometimes feel that no matter what I do I can’t balance it I miss needles at times have very high blood sugars that may surprise people like 27 very frequently and have a lot of hypos I’m in a bad place but I’m very stubborn I need a pump but nobody will give me the time of day

17. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello friend,
    I too, have grown up with diabetes. I had a difficult 3-4 years at the beginning of my diagnoses and it resulted in DKA several times. Back then variety of insulins and cgms were not that vast and not as cool as people who are newly diagnosed now. Growing up, yes I rebelled against my condition but it did me no good. When I started showing I was committed, thats when consultants wanted to help me. My consultant, although he is a bit of a straight firm faced pickle, he suggested different insulins and now I have the libre, what can I say? I feel much better and my hba1c was good - 47(averaged out with hypos and hypers) but now it's 42 and 55% in range. I feel like I'm getting more help now than before. We can all agree to some extend that erratic blood sugars causes mood swings

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook