Low carb diet help

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We now eat tons of fresh eggs, fried, scrambled or omelette. But I always have a jar or two of pickled boiled eggs that I can dip into if in a hurry or to add to a work packed lunch.
Thanks listlad, unfortunately I have other issues with food, firstly I'm Italian & not used to English breakfast I just don't really like all that egg, bacon, sausage etc much I could tolerate it once in a while only, secondly since I've had chemo I've gone off a lot of foods & for some reason they seem to be a lot of low carb stuff & thirdly I cannot afford a lot of low carb stuff as too expensive so looks like I'm screwed (excuse my language) but as you can imagine I'm really fed up!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks listlad, unfortunately I have other issues with food, firstly I'm Italian & not used to English breakfast I just don't really like all that egg, bacon, sausage etc much I could tolerate it once in a while only, secondly since I've had chemo I've gone off a lot of foods & for some reason they seem to be a lot of low carb stuff & thirdly I cannot afford a lot of low carb stuff as too expensive so looks like I'm screwed (excuse my language) but as you can imagine I'm really fed up!
How about salami, prosciutto etc?

Reactions: wasdale

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to jump in late. I can see why you'd be fed up.... From what I understand though, your taste should return to normal 3 weeks to 3 months after chemo, so... There's hope yet. There's the Mediterranian diet, you could adjust that a little, maybe? (In some, they still push legumes and potatoes and the like, which aren't helpful for a diabetic) What do you still like to eat? Maybe there are alternatives that are low carb? For me, groceries have become less expensive because I don't usually buy overly-processed foods anymore, just make stuff from scratch as much as possible. I also buy a lot of freezer stuff, on sale. Also, if finances are an issue, you could just skip breakfast. It's called Intermittent Fasting, will do your HbA1c good too. Just have tea or a coffee (or a sugar free double espresso con pana, or an espresso macchiato?? Few carbs in that, but not much) You could even go OMAD (One Meal A Day), just make sure it's a good one that'll keep you going. A lot of us had to compensate for food restrictions due to other reasons, so you're certainly not alone. Thing is, to find work-arounds where possible.

Good luck,
Jo

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel your pain- I'm also one that is not that fond of bacon, sausage- actually most meat. However if you give people some ideas of things you like they may be able to come up with some ideas. Something someone suggested to me- not that long ago is to google Keto and the meal you like for example Keto porridge or Keto quiche or Keto muffins and see what comes up. I find cheese and prosciutto quite nice and had that for breakfast for about a week. Another idea is to skip breakfast a couple of days a week to give your taste buds a break.

I found Keto baked custard which is yummy also. My husband also made a type of mousse from chocolate protein powder with water and cream that was also nice and had 1 gram of carb a serve.

So many people here have experience and want to help- don't lose heart- some days that's easier than others.

Reactions: mojo37 and wasdale

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant thanks sounds like a plan I will have a look at dietdoctor to get some ideas
I feel your pain- I'm also one that is not that fond of bacon, sausage- actually most meat. However if you give people some ideas of things you like they may be able to come up with some ideas. Something someone suggested to me- not that long ago is to google Keto and the meal you like for example Keto porridge or Keto quiche or Keto muffins and see what comes up. I find cheese and prosciutto quite nice and had that for breakfast for about a week. Another idea is to skip breakfast a couple of days a week to give your taste buds a break.

I found Keto baked custard which is yummy also. My husband also made a type of mousse from chocolate protein powder with water and cream that was also nice and had 1 gram of carb a serve.

So many people here have experience and want to help- don't lose heart- some days that's easier than others.

Reactions: jjraak

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jo, unfortunately I'm 3yrs on from chemo and taste buds just haven't come back, funny enough the last few days I have skipped breakfast as don't know what to have and just get seriously frustrated
Sorry to jump in late. I can see why you'd be fed up.... From what I understand though, your taste should return to normal 3 weeks to 3 months after chemo, so... There's hope yet. There's the Mediterranian diet, you could adjust that a little, maybe? (In some, they still push legumes and potatoes and the like, which aren't helpful for a diabetic) What do you still like to eat? Maybe there are alternatives that are low carb? For me, groceries have become less expensive because I don't usually buy overly-processed foods anymore, just make stuff from scratch as much as possible. I also buy a lot of freezer stuff, on sale. Also, if finances are an issue, you could just skip breakfast. It's called Intermittent Fasting, will do your HbA1c good too. Just have tea or a coffee (or a sugar free double espresso con pana, or an espresso macchiato?? Few carbs in that, but not much) You could even go OMAD (One Meal A Day), just make sure it's a good one that'll keep you going. A lot of us had to compensate for food restrictions due to other reasons, so you're certainly not alone. Thing is, to find work-arounds where possible.

Good luck,
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jo, unfortunately I'm 3yrs on from chemo and taste buds just haven't come back, funny enough the last few days I have skipped breakfast as don't know what to have and just get seriously frustrated
Aw, I'm sorry. :( You could google keto coconut porridge? Keto mug bread? (Which is surprisingly good, I've just found out recently!). Full fat greek yoghurt with some berries, nuts, coconut shavings? https://www.purewow.com/food/italian-ketogenic-recipes might help? Strawberries with double cream maybe? I don't know what still tastes like it's supposed to, so I'm just throwing stuff out there.

wasdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aw, I'm sorry. :( You could google keto coconut porridge? Keto mug bread? (Which is surprisingly good, I've just found out recently!). Full fat greek yoghurt with some berries, nuts, coconut shavings? https://www.purewow.com/food/italian-ketogenic-recipes might help? Strawberries with double cream maybe? I don't know what still tastes like it's supposed to, so I'm just throwing stuff out there.
Thank you strawberries & Cream sounds very yummy I will have a look at some of the keto recipes

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

When in Rome:

7EDB63D2-D1E3-4EA4-A5CB-DFAFB6FCB2AC.jpeg

This was a lunchtime snack for me in Rome a few months ago.