Metformin for Type 1 Diabetes

Lroberts90

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I am posting this in the wrong section.

I've been diabetic for around 20 years, I'm 28 and my last hba1c was around 9%. I am currently taking novorapid and tresiba (50u a day).

I've just been to see my consultant who has prescribed me with metformin. He didn't really give much detail about it but he says it should help me lose weight (I am just over 14st and 5ft 7 in height).

I've done a bit of research and can't find much on the use of metformin for type 1 diabetics and I also understand it hasnt been approved as a drug for this purpose?

Can anyone shed any light?

Thank you

Laura

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, welcome!
I think metformin is prescribed to type 2s mostly, are you quite insulin resistant? I heard metformin helps with appetite and it is prescribed to type 1s who are insulin resistant. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not too familar with it either but my dsn has said there are type1s on metformin and insulin.

Reactions: Knikki and ert

Lroberts90

Hello, welcome!
I think metformin is prescribed to type 2s mostly, are you quite insulin resistant? I heard metformin helps with appetite and it is prescribed to type 1s who are insulin resistant. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not too familar with it either but my dsn has said there are type1s on metformin and insulin.
Thanks! I've never been told I'm insulin resistant but from looking on here by tresiba dose does seem very high and I do sometimes get unexplainable highs that are a nightmare to bring down. So maybe I am!

Reactions: Knikki

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! I've never been told I'm insulin resistant but from looking on here by tresiba dose does seem very high and I do sometimes get unexplainable highs that are a nightmare to bring down. So maybe I am!
In all honesty insulin units however high doesn't matter, whatever works for you and keeps you safe and healthy. It could be to help you with weight and maybe then your insulin needs go down. Weight does have an impact on insulin needs, but if anything maybe you should contact your dsn to confirm because metformin does have side effects. I would rather know why and how it would help you in the long run.

Reactions: Knikki

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The side effects of metformin are greatly reduced if taken with a meal, and the dose is slowly increased over a few weeks. They also stop within a few days if the metformin is stopped, most people find that they don't get any side effects from metformin after the first few weeks.

Just don't start metformin if you are about to go to a music fastival with limited wc access.....

Metformin is very commonly used for anyone with insulin resistance regardless of the type of diabetes. It is now also being used for weightlose in same people without diabetes.

If you wish to lose weight consider a low carb diet, but remember you inslin needs will greatly reduce, hence if you don't know how to adjust your own inslin, get advice from your diabetes nurce first.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Can anyone shed any light?

As others have said, I believe it's supposed to help with insulin resistance and weight loss. (And maybe dawn phenomena if that's an issue for you?)

I was actually in a double blind trial to see if it would help T1s, still don't know if I was on it or not, and unfortunately they never got back to me to tell me whether I was on it. But I was pretty happy with my control while on the trial, and my GP and consultant say they will put me back on it if I wish.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/a-new-perspective-on-metformin-therapy-in-type-1-diabetes/

It's a well known drug that's been used for decades (eg people with PCOS), so as long as you can live with the gastric effects I wouldn't worry about side effects.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on metformin, have been on it with insulin since diagnosis. The doctor said it will help with weight loss .... not sure how true that is though!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on metformin, have been on it with insulin since diagnosis. The doctor said it will help with weight loss .... not sure how true that is though!

It is just as valid to say it will slow down weight gain.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im on metformin but was put on it due to insulin sensitivity/resistance nothing to do with losing weight as i cant afford to lose any weight

Reactions: loiphamp