About short telomeres

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Never heard of them before, but I thought that this might be of interest to some of you. Found on twitter. Shared by Dr. Aseem Malhotra.

"Elissa Epel
@Dr_Epel

Short #telomeres predict #insulin resistance over time. This is not about #obesity! This is part of the growing story about importance of telomere length at birth! Verlhust 2016
@TelomereEffect"
T2cause.jpeg

https://twitter.com/Dr_Epel/status/1164238186081468421/photo/1

Reactions: ziggy_w

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Dolly the sheep had short telomeres.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
So yeah, doomed at birth.
Or even before ... I wish they showed up somewhere obvious, like on your forehead, so that one could have a short telomerectomy :sorry:

M

Member496333

Interesting. I guess we are all born with genes that make us more or less susceptible to something or other. But then again they say it's how we express those genes that determines the outcome. Some say that even autoimmune diabetes may be driven by dietary factors aggravating genetic predispositions. Nevertheless all research of this kind is incredibly valuable.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Eh? Was she the cloned sheep?
Yes that was her. They thought the cloning process somehow shortened them and aided in reducing lifespan.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting article, @briped. Had never heard about this relationship between telomere length and insulin resistance. Thanks for sharing.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I about to get a lot of junk emails offering ways to increase the length of my telomeres?