Type 2 How to take the medication

Eviesue

I have steroid induced type 2 and am on gliclazide and prednisolone. I take gliclazide before breakfast not sure when to take prednisolone was taking it after meal in evening but I think that might be wrong. Can anyone advise please

D

Deleted member 308541

What are the GP's instructions on the pharmacy label state, as that would have the dosage and when to take it.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take prednisolone in the morning after food. I was told it can interfere with sleep if taken later in the day.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I normally take mine after food in the morning this is what I was advised to do by my pharmacist.

By the way I am also drug induced diabetic due to prednisolone which was always classified as type 3E in the past.

In fact my diabetes consultant got quite shirty with me when I described my self as T2 I really don't know why

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Yes, prednisolone orally is to be taken in the morning. This is because there is a diurnal variation in the amounts of endogenous steroids produced - the greater in the morning. It is also hoped that this will help the transition from oral to endogenous state.
Pred very often disturbs sleep.
Pred can cause quite bad upper digestive upset, some doctors concomitantly give anti-acid pills. Taking with, or at end of food can help.

Of course - Your Mileage May Vary!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And they also have a detrimental effect on bone density and can cause osteoporosis so I am also taking alendronic acid and adcal+d3 to counteract this .