1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 How to take the medication

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Eviesue, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Eviesue

Eviesue · Newbie

I have steroid induced type 2 and am on gliclazide and prednisolone. I take gliclazide before breakfast not sure when to take prednisolone was taking it after meal in evening but I think that might be wrong. Can anyone advise please

2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

What are the GP's instructions on the pharmacy label state, as that would have the dosage and when to take it.

3. Eviesue

Eviesue · Newbie

It simply says with or after food

4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Keep on doing what you were doing then.

5. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take prednisolone in the morning after food. I was told it can interfere with sleep if taken later in the day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

I normally take mine after food in the morning this is what I was advised to do by my pharmacist.

By the way I am also drug induced diabetic due to prednisolone which was always classified as type 3E in the past.

In fact my diabetes consultant got quite shirty with me when I described my self as T2 I really don't know why

7. Struma

Struma Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, prednisolone orally is to be taken in the morning. This is because there is a diurnal variation in the amounts of endogenous steroids produced - the greater in the morning. It is also hoped that this will help the transition from oral to endogenous state.
    Pred very often disturbs sleep.
    Pred can cause quite bad upper digestive upset, some doctors concomitantly give anti-acid pills. Taking with, or at end of food can help.

Of course - Your Mileage May Vary!

8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

And they also have a detrimental effect on bone density and can cause osteoporosis so I am also taking alendronic acid and adcal+d3 to counteract this .

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook