Prediabetic

Didan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Just been diagnosed as prediabetic does this condition also give you high blood pressure?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had both. As my blood sugar levels have reduced, so has my weight and blood pressure. They are, with me at least, tied together.

Didan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thanks I only saw the Dr for high blood pressure and have recently lost one stone and have been doing the couch to 5k three times a week for the last two and a half months. I follow the 5/2 diet which has been working so I am very confused ☹️

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Thanks I only saw the Dr for high blood pressure and have recently lost one stone and have been doing the couch to 5k three times a week for the last two and a half months. I follow the 5/2 diet which has been working so I am very confused
High blood pressure and diabetes usually go hand in hand, but not always. As they normally have a common cause, i.e. fatty liver syndrome and or insulin resistance. By reducing your carb intake, as you would on a 5:2 diet you reduce your insulin levels and give both your liver and your pacreas a break. That will naturally aid in controlling your weight, blood sugar levels and blood pressure. If it works for you I would use it as a platform for more serious carb restriction to enhance you long term health prospects.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
An increase in exercise will help to bring both your blood glucose and cholesterol down in time. There may be a temporary increase in cholesterol levels as your body pushes out excess fat. Well done you for sticking with the 5:2 diet and losing weight. Your next hbA1c test will tell you if you need to consider further carbohydrate control.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been diagnosed as prediabetic does this condition also give you high blood pressure?
Prediabetes/T2, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, and non alcoholic fatty liver disease are usually connected to one another. The combination of those things is called Metabolic Syndrome. I had everything except for high blood pressure, so you don't have to have all those conditions to have metabolic syndrome, but yeah... They usually are a package deal. Perk being, going low carb (with the intermittent fasting you've been doing), will help on all those fronts. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might clarify a little. And you might want to read Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code as well as dietdoctor.com, and this forum's website, diabetes.co.uk (Not .org!).

Good luck eh.
Jo

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was pre-diabetic for at least three years before I became fully diabetic. But my blood pressure has always been good. Maybe because I wasn't overweight before I became diabetic and also used to walk a lot.

Reactions: Daphne917