FreeStyle Libre in Spain

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know if you can buy them without a prescription in Spain, and if so, what they cost?
I tried to google it but it didn't work, as the computer knows where I am...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 If you use Chrome or Furfox as your browser, use the "incognito mode" and you can get into the website here. Google will offer to translate into your language of choice.

https://www.freestylelibre.es/libre/
I did, and did for France too, but it came up with the usual price. So I guess incognito means everything will be deleted when you close, not that it doesn't check where you are.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 If you use Chrome or Furfox as your browser, use the "incognito mode" and you can get into the website here. Google will offer to translate into your language of choice.

https://www.freestylelibre.es/libre/

I don't speak Spanish.. Or maybe i secretly do.
The lay out is similar the the English site. €59.90. Direct link to Abbott price. https://www.freestylelibre.es/libre/productos/sensores.html

@Antje77 , where you looking to purchase from an apotheker.? (Hope if spelt that right.)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We must have members in Spain who know this, or members who visited Spain and know this, I'm sure!

D

Deleted member 308541

, I know pharmacies sell them in France over the counter for 37 euro's, so I was wondering about simply buying them in Spain without ordering through Abbott.
I will ask the pharmacy I use if I can buy them over the counter here.

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The apotheker is the person who is in charge of the apotheek :)

Then this person would be the one to ask.. :)

We must have members in Spain who know this, or members who visited Spain and know this, I'm sure!

There are! I'm sure I have a recollection of a member from the UK living in Spain. But name wise I'm racking my brain...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK,

I'll tag in @SaladDaze , links with Spain (I believe) & the Libre. Hope this helps..?

If I think of more? I'll tag them in the bag..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Then this person would be the one to ask.. :)

There are! I'm sure I have a recollection of a member from the UK living in Spain. But name wise I'm racking my brain...
I spoke to my aunt on the phone (she's currently in Spain and will be there for another week, travelling around in a cute little borrowed camper van, and after that she and her partner will take another week to drive to the netherlands with lots of sightseeing), and I sold her the whole idea of obtaining cheap sensors for me as an exciting scavenger hunt :hilarious:
She took the bait quite enthousiastically, so I expect I'll know all about sensors in Spain and France in the near future. And have a drawer full of sensors :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spoke to my aunt on the phone (she's currently in Spain and will be there for another week, travelling around in a cute little borrowed camper van, and after that she and her partner will take another week to drive to the netherlands with lots of sightseeing), and I sold her the whole idea of obtaining cheap sensors for me as an exciting scavenger hunt :hilarious:
She took the bait quite enthousiastically, so I expect I'll know all about sensors in Spain and France in the near future. And have a drawer full of sensors :)

Hey! I like your train of thought... Send out scouts. :D

@Al_P hasn't logged in for a while.. But you never know?!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

She took the bait quite enthousiastically, so I expect I'll know all about sensors in Spain and France in the near future. And have a drawer full of sensors
It says on the Australian site that the sensors have a short shelf life, so do not get many at one time.

Please note that FreeStyle Libre sensors have a 5- to 6-month expiration date.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It says on the Australian site that the sensors have a short shelf life, so do not get many at one time.
I'll tell her to check the date, thanks for the warning :)
My current ones are good until june 2020, if she finds any with the same date I don't mind stocking up :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks!
I guess this works, but I also guess it's a bit complicated for me. I'll first see if anyone knows about Libre in Spain before diving into complicated computer stuff.
Alternatively I'll just ask my aunt, who is in Spain at the moment, to walk into a pharmacy and ask :)
I got Chrome to think I was in Spain ( I like a challenge) but I couldn't find a Farmacia in Madrid that mentioned Libre on it's website, so that wasn't much help. Someone on the forum that lives in Spain, or your aunt seems like the best bet. Incidentally one of the websites I found was an online French pharmacy and they had a warning that sensors from other countries might not be compatible - hopefully doesn't apply to EU countries.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Bear in mind that the readers can be country dependant, so you may need a spanish reader to work on a spanish sensor. Of course, that isn't an issue if you're using a phone instead of a reader, and you'd hope that they'd use the same reader throughout the EU, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 - Have you considered joining a ex-pat site/forum to ask about these things? That way, you are (usually) talking to people in-situ. And at least as much to the point, those with similar interests as yourself.

I don't know anything about Spain, but when we were researching our time in the Leewards, then latterly in SE Asia, those fora were really useful, for medical services etc.

In Thailand earlier this year, I learned where I could buy certain meds OTC (it had to be near a Uni with e medical school), and also where to have a batch of bloods, including an A1c, done.

Those responding were usually those who had used (or said they had used) the particular service or product themselves. The sites we chose were mainly in English, which all helps.

When we were trying to find those places, we'd just ask Dr Goole to direct us to "ex-pat forum Thailand/Cambodia/Jamaica/BVI/USVI or wherever.