Diet

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding of physiological insulin resistance is as follows.....
When you have been eating LC for a while your pancreas "gets used to" a small demand for insulin. If you then have a sudden intake of higher carbs, the insulin response is too low and BG rises more than it would otherwise have done. Increasing your carbs to say 150g per day for a couple of days "resets" your pancreas, which is why it is recommended before OGTT. Your case doesn't seem to be PIR related as you are already on moderate carbs and you are reducing your carb intake.

You are confusing it with "last meal effect", and are quite correct that after eating low carb for a while the pancreas gets used to producing less insulin, so a high carb meal will produce high blood glucose levels. (hence eating carbs for 3 days before an OGTT)

Physiological insulin resistance is different. It is also known as "brain sparing". If the body detects there is too little glucose in the system, it tells the cells to reject (resist) it, and sends it to the brain instead. It is a temporary thing, but can be solved quickly by eating a few extra carbs for a day or so. A day or so is all that is necessary, and "a few extra carbs" means just that - not an overload. It happened to me a few years ago and lasted a couple of weeks then went away on its own without me adding extra carbs. All it did with me was increase my morning fasting and pre-meal levels. My actual rises post meal were as previously, but the levels were higher simply because I started higher.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve always been vegetarian, both when trying out LCHF and then moderate carb. Not really sure what the question is.
You are comparing what you "usually eat" with a LCHF diet. I'm trying to ascertain what the difference is that you claim led to your increase in blood sugar.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are comparing what you "usually eat" with a LCHF diet. I'm trying to ascertain what the difference is that you claim led to your increase in blood sugar.

As stated, I ate significantly fewer carbs, along with more fat for about 2 months to conform with the typical LCHF macronutrient ratios. I had a much shorter experience with vacation- but it’s not difficult to know the macronutrient ratios in food. MyFitnessPal makes it pretty darn easy to figure out.

How are you suggesting I compare it?

But back to the OPs point, I don’t see LFHC as a “mostly but not always” option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MyFitnessPal makes it pretty darn easy to figure out.
I found that MFP is one of the most unreliable sources of nutritional info out there.. far too many "individual' entries that are incorrect when double checked.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that MFP is one of the most unreliable sources of nutritional info out there.. far too many "individual' entries that are incorrect when double checked.

Easy fix. Scan the bar code on the package of yogurt, nuts, cream, eggs etc, then it’s very accurate . Vegetables, avocados are pretty obvious and it’s very easy to check those against other sources.

Reactions: Marie 2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Easy fix. Scan the bar code on the package of yogurt, nuts, cream, eggs etc, then it’s very accurate . Vegetables, avocados are pretty obvious and it’s very easy to check those against other sources.
Luckily for me very little of what I eat comes with a barcode.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Luckily for me very little of what I eat comes with a barcode.

Well I’ve always found it easier to buy olives, yogurt, nuts and milk in a container rather than carry them in my pockets to the register, but hey, whatever works for you :D