1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diet

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Paulm80, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

You are confusing it with "last meal effect", and are quite correct that after eating low carb for a while the pancreas gets used to producing less insulin, so a high carb meal will produce high blood glucose levels. (hence eating carbs for 3 days before an OGTT)

Physiological insulin resistance is different. It is also known as "brain sparing". If the body detects there is too little glucose in the system, it tells the cells to reject (resist) it, and sends it to the brain instead. It is a temporary thing, but can be solved quickly by eating a few extra carbs for a day or so. A day or so is all that is necessary, and "a few extra carbs" means just that - not an overload. It happened to me a few years ago and lasted a couple of weeks then went away on its own without me adding extra carbs. All it did with me was increase my morning fasting and pre-meal levels. My actual rises post meal were as previously, but the levels were higher simply because I started higher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes I am, thanks for pointing that out :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Walking Girl

Walking Girl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’ve always been vegetarian, both when trying out LCHF and then moderate carb. Not really sure what the question is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

You are comparing what you "usually eat" with a LCHF diet. I'm trying to ascertain what the difference is that you claim led to your increase in blood sugar.

5. Walking Girl

As stated, I ate significantly fewer carbs, along with more fat for about 2 months to conform with the typical LCHF macronutrient ratios. I had a much shorter experience with vacation- but it’s not difficult to know the macronutrient ratios in food. MyFitnessPal makes it pretty darn easy to figure out.

How are you suggesting I compare it?

But back to the OPs point, I don’t see LFHC as a “mostly but not always” option.

• Like Like x 1
    #45 Walking Girl, Aug 27, 2019 at 5:21 PM
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  6. bulkbiker

I found that MFP is one of the most unreliable sources of nutritional info out there.. far too many "individual' entries that are incorrect when double checked.

7. Walking Girl

Easy fix. Scan the bar code on the package of yogurt, nuts, cream, eggs etc, then it’s very accurate . Vegetables, avocados are pretty obvious and it’s very easy to check those against other sources.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bulkbiker

Luckily for me very little of what I eat comes with a barcode.

9. Walking Girl

Well I’ve always found it easier to buy olives, yogurt, nuts and milk in a container rather than carry them in my pockets to the register, but hey, whatever works for you :D

• Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook