Type 2 Dapaglifozin v trulicity

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So asked dr about change of meds. The one she said she would be happy with was an injection once a week. Called trulicity.

While I decide I’m back on 10 mg of dapaglizin.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas etc on trulicity?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you researched it much? Searched for threads on here about it?

It’s a different class and instead of removing excess glucose via urine it’ll be getting your pancreas to produce more insulin as well as reducing glucagon dumping (a bit like metformin). It can slow digestion and side effects at least in the short term can be diarrhoea. I seem to recall metformin, even slow release, didn’t suit you.

In your shoes I’d prefer to exhaust the low carb options first, but perhaps you feel you’ve gone as far as you’re able to down that route even if it’s not as far as some go. It does have to fit your life I know.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Have you researched it much? Searched for threads on here about it?

It’s a different class and instead of removing excess glucose via urine it’ll be getting your pancreas to produce more insulin as well as reducing glucagon dumping (a bit like metformin). It can slow digestion and side effects at least in the short term can be diarrhoea. I seem to recall metformin, even slow release, didn’t suit you.

In your shoes I’d prefer to exhaust the low carb options first, but perhaps you feel you’ve gone as far as you’re able to down that route even if it’s not as far as some go. It does have to fit your life I know.

Dr happy fir me to do low carb but she says I have to be on meds as she wants me reversing it

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr happy fir me to do low carb but she says I have to be on meds as she wants me reversing it
Doesn’t she know low carb can reverse it all by itself for many people? And that’s her advice, but your decision remember.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then your doc knows surprisingly little about the successful remission of T2 with medication...

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I don’t really want a should I be on meds debate. I’m happy with what dr suggests. My sugars haven’t reduced and they need to.
My question is just about which drug. I’ve read up in trulicity and not sure it’s right fir me.
Dr said the main side effect she has heard of is constipation. Out of that and peeing I’ll take peeing. At least you can control it somewhat.

But it was just for a discussion on what real people have found.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trulicity didn't work for me, it just sat under my skin in a small lump and didn't disperse as it should, my numbers even with reduced carbs were in the teens, but it's worth a shot (groan) I know a lot of people get on well with it and it can add weight loss too if you need it

Reactions: woollygal

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So when I saw dr couple weeks ago she told me in the ridiculously hot temps I shouldn’t be taking the forxiga due to the dehydration.
Would have been nice to have been told this before the summer started.

So anyway, sat and Sunday I was wiped out, no energy, couldn’t quench thirst etc then realised meds. So Sunday didn’t take them and Monday back to normal. Still tired but it was stupidly hot but I had far more energy and didn’t feel wiped out plus I didn’t fall asleep mid afternoon.

Anyhoos. It’s now wed and I still haven’t taken them and I feel loads better. I feel like me again.

Sugars aren’t high but they are slightly more than usual.

So issue isn’t whether to be on meds I’m happy to.

It’s just given how different o feel I’m considering switching to trulicity.

But I’m worried about side effects. As it’s a weekly injection any side effects will last and I can’t just stop them.

Forxiga is affecting me but I know how it’s affecting me.

I don’t want stomach problems and be stuck in the car. It’s my worst nightmare. Having had ibs for years I just don’t want to go back to it.

I feel very much stick between a rock and a hard place.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So when I saw dr couple weeks ago she told me in the ridiculously hot temps I shouldn’t be taking the forxiga due to the dehydration.
Would have been nice to have been told this before the summer started.

So anyway, sat and Sunday I was wiped out, no energy, couldn’t quench thirst etc then realised meds. So Sunday didn’t take them and Monday back to normal. Still tired but it was stupidly hot but I had far more energy and didn’t feel wiped out plus I didn’t fall asleep mid afternoon.

Anyhoos. It’s now wed and I still haven’t taken them and I feel loads better. I feel like me again.

Sugars aren’t high but they are slightly more than usual.

So issue isn’t whether to be on meds I’m happy to.

It’s just given how different o feel I’m considering switching to trulicity.

But I’m worried about side effects. As it’s a weekly injection any side effects will last and I can’t just stop them.

Forxiga is affecting me but I know how it’s affecting me.

I don’t want stomach problems and be stuck in the car. It’s my worst nightmare. Having had ibs for years I just don’t want to go back to it.

I feel very much stick between a rock and a hard place.
If going lower carb isn’t for you then perhaps another conversation about what else is available is needed. I think there’s a lot of combinations out there so maybe there’s another tablet rather than an injection that could be tried instead

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
If going lower carb isn’t for you then perhaps another conversation about what else is available is needed. I think there’s a lot of combinations out there so maybe there’s another tablet rather than an injection that could be tried instead

I am doing low carb

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am doing low carb
I know, but I meant going (even) lower - to avoid the medication complications even if theoretically you don’t object to the meds. Do you know what a typical days carb count is for you? Do you feel you’ve cut all you are willing/able to or is there room for trimming some more off?

Sadly sometimes it needs be be very low to get the numbers down, and even that isn’t always enough or desirable and then it’s about choosing the best available med, hence suggesting you go back to the dr and ask what else is an option.

Just a thought but is exercise another route possible for you? Some find it does the extra bit that low carb doesn’t reach. Walking, cycling, or maybe some muscle building/resistance work?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Extremely low carb didn't give me remission numbers either nor palpitation free eating.
I didn't get rid of insulin.
Insulin is able to help me lose weight safely as no meds helped with high bgs enough in comparison to side effects. I became immune to mostly all meds. They just stopped working.
Never tried trulicity injection but if unpleasant side effects then it's not for me and my IBS either.
If I get perfect bgs on insulin..... I lose weight.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I know, but I meant going (even) lower - to avoid the medication complications even if theoretically you don’t object to the meds. Do you know what a typical days carb count is for you? Do you feel you’ve cut all you are willing/able to or is there room for trimming some more off?

Sadly sometimes it needs be be very low to get the numbers down, and even that isn’t always enough or desirable and then it’s about choosing the best available med, hence suggesting you go back to the dr and ask what else is an option.

Just a thought but is exercise another route possible for you? Some find it does the extra bit that low carb doesn’t reach. Walking, cycling, or maybe some muscle building/resistance work?

I’m definitely under 40g usually under 30.

Avoiding meds isn’t on the list at the mo as dr wants me on them at least till numbers drop. She was clearly very unhappy with me staying at 54. She knows I’m low carb but wasn’t particularly helpful with the going out but which is what I struggle with. Every day is fine.

Exercise is coming but postponed due to this stupid sprained ankle.

She didn’t give me blood test forms so assuming it’s in 3 months as usual. Receptionist was asking for me but not heard anything.

Dr said the family of dapaglizon would basically give me same problems so they are off table.
Metformin is off as it made me too ill.
There was another one but she said not as good as what I’m on sochoice is forxiga or trulicity.

Even if o do low carb I’m on these for at least next 3 months anyway.

If I’m good and get numbers down hopefully I can come off next tine

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Cana we are all different. Try trulicity as you never know may work well for you. You will never know until you've tried it for yourself.
I tried Victoza which made me feel totally ill. The nausea didn't stop. I lost no weight as I got higher bgs. Only lower bgs help me lose weight. Higher Gliclizide made no difference with metformin side affects mingled with IBS. Nothing worked. Even gapaglifozin/canagliflozin stopped reducing my bgs but didn't stop the intense thrush.

juliec44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So asked dr about change of meds. The one she said she would be happy with was an injection once a week. Called trulicity.

While I decide I’m back on 10 mg of dapaglizin.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas etc on trulicity?

I did a drug trial and was put on Trulicity. I thought it was amazing, I lost weight and my blood glucose levels came right down, and I felt fine. A diabetic nurse practitioner took me off of it, and I was left just on Metformin again. I have just been put on dapaglizin 5mgs which doesn't seem to be doing a huge amount. My blood sugar had gone up to 101, so I definitely need something, maybe a hefty dose of self control and will power!

Hayley23472

Hi. What did you end up on? I couldn't tolerate metformin at all so they put me on sitagliptin and then added in dapagliflozin. They told me to drink a lot with it as it makes you pee out the sugar! When my hba1c wasn't coming down sufficiently she put me on trulicity which I don't seem to have too many side effects with and stopped sitagliptin. I'm happy so far with this.
I’m definitely under 40g usually under 30.

Avoiding meds isn’t on the list at the mo as dr wants me on them at least till numbers drop. She was clearly very unhappy with me staying at 54. She knows I’m low carb but wasn’t particularly helpful with the going out but which is what I struggle with. Every day is fine.

Exercise is coming but postponed due to this stupid sprained ankle.

She didn’t give me blood test forms so assuming it’s in 3 months as usual. Receptionist was asking for me but not heard anything.

Dr said the family of dapaglizon would basically give me same problems so they are off table.
Metformin is off as it made me too ill.
There was another one but she said not as good as what I’m on sochoice is forxiga or trulicity.

Even if o do low carb I’m on these for at least next 3 months anyway.

If I’m good and get numbers down hopefully I can come off next tine