HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Good morning everyone.
I just wanna ask a little quisten here.So please if you have some information please share it with us. So my quisten is why some local doctors describe Gliclzaid to who those have type || ? specially they're haven't any problem with Insulin .As we know the reason why diabetes need Gliclzaid that because to increase Insulin, but they didn't.
Thanks.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @HICHAM_T2 ,

How are you my friend.

Interesting question.

I suppose in theory & based on the T2 insulin resistance, Glic would increase insulin production. I believe the drug also acts to improve insulin sensitivity in a T2 patient too..

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not all Type 2's produce enough insulin, many are diagnosed in old age and my guess is their pancreas is just wearing out as do their eyes, hearing, knees etc. Of course it would be good if insulin production was measured to see if more was needed before prescribing drugs.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi @HICHAM_T2 ,

How are you my friend.

Interesting question.

I suppose in theory & based on the T2 insulin resistance, Glic would increase insulin production. I believe the drug also acts to improve insulin sensitivity in a T2 patient too..
Hi my friend @Jaylee I'm not to bad we used to be frienemies with diabetic lol anyway what about you ? As you said that is important quisten who those interesting with,but no one know why
Thanks pol.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my friend @Jaylee I'm not to bad we used to frienemies with diabetic lol anyway what about you ? As you said that is important quisten who those interesting with,but no one know why
Thanks pol.

I'm all good.
"Frienemies?" Lol, I didn't see it as such. Just the odd mixup With language.. A friend perseveres. :)

I would agree with @Mr_Pot that more investigation regarding an appropriately prescribed drug is required..
Glic can & does work for some!

Reactions: Mike d

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I'm all good.
"Frienemies?" Lol, I didn't see it as such. Just the odd mixup With language.. A friend perseveres. :)

I would agree with @Mr_Pot that more investigation regarding an appropriately prescribed drug is required..
Glic can & does work for some!
Hi again
I just wanna correct something here. "frienemies" it's a new word you can find about this word in Google to see what is it anyway.
Thank you for your help.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi again
I just wanna correct something here. "frienemies" it's a new word you can find about this word in Google to see what is it anyway.
Thank you for your help.

Interesting word, at least we can make out what it is. I will google it too.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again
Thank you for your help.

No problems. Happy to help.

Though as a friend I was keeping the focus on your topic questioning of Gliclazide. :)

I will tag in @xfieldok @Oldvatr , who I believe have experience of the drug.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Gliclazide works by forcing the pancreas to produce extra insulin. This is not a good idea if the person already has too much insulin production, which is the case with the majority of T2s. All it will do in those cases is increase insulin resistance and wear out the pancreas.

I am lucky that so far I have not required any diabetes medication, but if in future I were prescribed Gliclazide I would insist on an insulin test first. These should be done routinely, but sadly they are not.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Gliclazide works by forcing the pancreas to produce extra insulin. This is not a good idea if the person already has too much insulin production, which is the case with the majority of T2s. All it will do in those cases is increase insulin resistance and wear out the pancreas.

I am lucky that so far I have not required any diabetes medication, but if in future I were prescribed Gliclazide I would insist on an insulin test first. These should be done routinely, but sadly they are not.
Hi my friend.
Yeah. I agree totally with you it's bad idea if someone has type two and he is taking Gliclzaide . How so stupid who those have been described that cure to this type of diabetic. That why I lose my trust to some Doctors, but of course not all the same. There are some doctors they are used to be update themself, but some of those just are working for money. They have no ideas what is the new in medicine

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my friend.
Yeah. I agree totally with you it's bad idea if someone has type two and he is taking Gliclzaide . How so stupid who those have been described that cure to this type of diabetic. That why I lose my trust to some Doctors, but of course not all the same. There are some doctors they are used to be update themself, but some of those just are working for money. They have no ideas what is the new in medicine
Hello, I wouldn't call it stupid. Unfortunately diet and metformin doesn't work for some people and other medications do give us options so it's not dead end road.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hello, I wouldn't call it stupid. Unfortunately diet and metformin doesn't work for some people and other medications do give us options so it's not dead end road.
Hi
I just wanna say that bad idea from a doctor. I have no idea how they are thinking ,and how can Gliclzaide helps type 2 specially they have enough insulin but the problem with them it's don't work well. Why ? I don't know this is a mystery.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My opinion only, no data to back this up, but I think GPs tend to prescribe what they have either had success with in the past. They, very unfortunately, do not go below the surface to really figure out why T2 is present. My GP was, I think, better than many and her only added test was C-Peptide upon diagnosis. From my observation, many don’t get even that.

So, we end up with T2s with adequate insulin production and meds to increase it to basically bludgeon BG down.

If, however, their insulin production is low, then meds that increase it are probably a good call if someone is not controlled otherwise.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If, however, their insulin production is low, then meds that increase it are probably a good call if someone is not controlled otherwise.

My Dad's 89, and has been on gliclazide (and not metformin) for a number of years. It seems to work for him (as did 3 months of low carb when he came to stay with me last Xmas. I had all his blood sugars in single figures, and most below 8.) For him, pretty well anything that keeps him off insulin is a good idea, as he's probably only got a few more years. (We're planning for his 90th birthday now, but realistically he's not going to get much beyond that.)

But I imagine that there are a number of different types of T2 (wasn't there some study recently that had 7 or more types of diabetes) and I'm guessing that gliclazide works better for some of these than others. And if you inject insulin as a treatment for T2, then surely taking gliclazide is the step below that?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
My Dad's 89, and has been on gliclazide (and not metformin) for a number of years. It seems to work for him (as did 3 months of low carb when he came to stay with me last Xmas. I had all his blood sugars in single figures, and most below 8.) For him, pretty well anything that keeps him off insulin is a good idea, as he's probably only got a few more years. (We're planning for his 90th birthday now, but realistically he's not going to get much beyond that.)

But I imagine that there are a number of different types of T2 (wasn't there some study recently that had 7 or more types of diabetes) and I'm guessing that gliclazide works better for some of these than others. And if you inject insulin as a treatment for T2, then surely taking gliclazide is the step below that?
Hi
Maybe your dad‘s pancreatic are lazy so Gliclzaid working well.
I hope haven't to be on it in the future because I'm feeling it's the onset of the badly life. My hopeful is a secure body. And my insulin enough to see me through my short life
Thanks.

Last edited: