Target fasting blood glucose level

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What level of fasting blood glucose do you target? How long did it take you to achieve your target consistently?

I have been targeting to get to 4.3-4.7. I had success for a while but I don’t seem to be able to consistently keep the fasting glucose down and I am seeing a trend higher again (no change in diet or exercise).

I have glucose intolerance and have had pre-diabetic fasting glucose as high as 5.9 and 5.1 (high normal) on lab tests before I changed my diet to reduce carbs. (I reduced the carbs I eat per meal when I saw that sometimes I would see a post-prandial reading above 7.8 at one hour.) About two months after reducing carbs I had a fasting lab test at 4.7 (seemingly back to a healthy level).

Since reducing carbs, about three months ago, on my meter my post prandial is generally below 6.4 at all times and especially at lunch and dinner mostly in the 5’s. (I have been eating between 70 and 140 carbs per day, usually around 110)

My fasting blood sugar came down for a while to 4.5-4.6 most mornings. Over the past several weeks it has started to rise where some mornings it is back up to 5.2. (Some of those days I ate fewer carbs the previous day than average.) I am more concerned with the trend higher than with the actual level.

I don’t want to lose weight as I am a bit too thin already. I would like to get the trend going back in the right direction.

I am not sure how realistic my expectations are. (e.g. consistent good levels, speed to get there - months vs years, level of carbs for best results- no weight loss but good blood sugar)

Reactions: ChrissyW

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
What level of fasting blood glucose do you target? How long did it take you to achieve your target consistently?

I have been targeting to get to 4.3-4.7. I had success for a while but I don’t seem to be able to consistently keep the fasting glucose down and I am seeing a trend higher again (no change in diet or exercise).

I have glucose intolerance and have had pre-diabetic fasting glucose as high as 5.9 and 5.1 (high normal) on lab tests before I changed my diet to reduce carbs. (I reduced the carbs I eat per meal when I saw that sometimes I would see a post-prandial reading above 7.8 at one hour.) About two months after reducing carbs I had a fasting lab test at 4.7 (seemingly back to a healthy level).

Since reducing carbs, about three months ago, on my meter my post prandial is generally below 6.4 at all times and especially at lunch and dinner mostly in the 5’s. (I have been eating between 70 and 140 carbs per day, usually around 110)

My fasting blood sugar came down for a while to 4.5-4.6 most mornings. Over the past several weeks it has started to rise where some mornings it is back up to 5.2. (Some of those days I ate fewer carbs the previous day than average.) I am more concerned with the trend higher than with the actual level.

I don’t want to lose weight as I am a bit too thin already. I would like to get the trend going back in the right direction.

I am not sure how realistic my expectations are. (e.g. consistent good levels, speed to get there - months vs years, level of carbs for best results- no weight loss but good blood sugar)

I was listening to Ken Sikaris' latest talk at Low Carb Down Under and he said something that is not commonly considered. Apparently lab test results come back a few points lower than they really are because the cells continue chewing up the sugars for a while before they make it to the lab for analysis. So even though home metres can be inaccurate, apparently lab tests are more generous than they should be too!

My fasting is like yours: typically 5.1mmol but my last GTT had it at 4.4mmol.
At home I'm getting anywhere from 5.4 to 4.6 mmol with the odd higher or lower reading but I'm also breastfeeding a 4 month old through the night so that can affect my results too.
Lack of sleep for me probably affects my results but when I've had more carbs the day before I usually notice a higher fasting level the next morning. But not just more carbs but overeating on fats and protein once gave me 5.6 mmol. I think it was pork belly roast I had a bit too much of. :D

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, so long as lab tests are consistent, the slightly lower reading would be comparable among lab tests. I wonder how accurate lab tests are. If meters that are +/-15% can be sold, what is the margin for error for labs?