Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
4064B410-7AA5-43B3-9853-567B5E95A216.jpeg
And another

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What the photos don’t show are all the trippers. So many chihuahuas with them, never seen so many in one place, feeling grateful I didn’t fall over one.

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having once carted insulin in a backpack round Asia for 6 months without it ever seeing a fridge, that aspect wouldn't be troubling me too much!
Was that the old style insulins? My memory is that PZI and Soluble were almost bombproof.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I also went to the RNLI shop where I bought an air freshener for the car in the shape of a seafarers yellow boot, regulation lifeboat wear. Just opened the packet - I feared it’d smell of dead fish and bilge water but it’s rather nice, fruity with overtones of spice.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Used to love a bimble round the harbour. I lived in Cheriton for a while
Oh my, pretty close. I like Folkestone harbour! Have you seen the Andy Gorman there? And eaten fish and chips there?
The pics are Whitstable, where the pet supplies shop is.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Was that the old style insulins? My memory is that PZI and Soluble were almost bombproof.

It was about 20 yrs ago, so I'm struggling to remember. Ultratard is ringing a vague bell as the basal.

It would be a shame if modern insulins are "wussier".

The only fright I got was in Siem Reap, Cambodia. I'd gone there to see Angkor Wat, bg started going crazily high over a few days despite rage bolusing, so I'm thinking the insulin is dead, so bailed out to Bangkok where I reckoned buying new stuff would be easier.

Only to find that bg was then coming down, so it was obviously just some sort of exotic infection instead of dud insulin.

I think I'm probably the only person to have gone to Siem Reap and not seen Angkor Wat, so that's on a to do list.

Took a bit of negotiating with the GP to get a script for 6 months. He was, no, the insulin won't last that long, I'll give you 2 months. I was like, hmm, great, I'll take the risk and buy if I need to if it pans out after 3 months, but do you really want me having to figure out how to buy insulin in a foreign country after 2 months?

Was still on vials and syringes then. Did 4 months from Istanbul to Estonia through Eastern Europe. Was crossing the Bulgarian/Romanian border at a train station in the middle of nowhere and a guard decided he'd pull me and search the backpack. He had an idle poke around and then something distracted him - phew, big relief, I really didn't want to explain why I had a few hundred syringes on me!

I've still got that darned backpack, a MacPac one, and as soon as I get my mortgage paid off and the house rented out, I'm heading back to Asia. Still regret that I didn't do the overland trip from Kathmandu to Lhasa, although this time round the train through China might be an option. Carbs & Cals needs some input on the carb value of Tibetan momos!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The choice seemed to be GlucoTabs and a 30 minute wait or tea and cake. Not much of a choice really. Might as well spend the 30 minute wait drinking tea and cake.
I fully agree with your choice of boost, of course, but why the 30 minutes wait? As long as above 4 you can drive right away if you eat something, the waiting is only below 4.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lol, my last house was just outside Canterbury, I’m in Maidstone now.
Still very close! I’m in Canterbury. Lots of trippers here too, prefer to avoid the town centre these days.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Went out for a little amble around gardens.
Drove to the first, walked around, walked over fields to the next, walked around and, literally, smelt the roses, walked back, tested BG. It was low 4s so I realised it needed a boost before driving home. The choice seemed to be GlucoTabs and a 30 minute wait or tea and cake. Not much of a choice really. Might as well spend the 30 minute wait drinking tea and cake.

Today was a quiet day exercise-wise. No gym - just walking around and between gardens.
Unintentionally, I managed to achieve my step count target.
That is the 13th day running. Or as my step counter says “13 day streak”.
Streak means running across football pitches for a bit of attention. If I had been doing that for 13 days, I’d be very embarrassed and cold!
And we’d demand pics of the streak. What a good excuse for cake, as if we needed one.

Reactions: Antje77

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I fully agree with your choice of boost, of course, but why the 30 minutes wait? As long as above 4 you can drive right away if you eat something, the waiting is only below 4.
Here the DVLA, which issues driving licences, and takes them away, states we have to be 5 to drive. One more instance where the Netherlands seems to be more forgiving.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here the DVLA, which issues driving licences, and takes them away, states we have to be 5 to drive. One more instance where the Netherlands seems to be more forgiving.
No. DVLA says between 4 and 5 you need to eat something but can drive, below 4 treat and wait. (45 minutes after going above 4 again, I think)

Netherlands doesn't have clear rules about it, I think.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve knocked my sensor off on day 2. Hopping mad! That and I have a bad back, which over a week has got progressively worse. (Old injury comes and goes) Things are not going well ☹️ and September is a crazily busy month. Can see lots of cancellations coming on, as struggling to even get on and off the loo! Sorry for the whinging feeling sorry for myself.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
An escaped used test strip made its way between the organ pedals this morning after the pre-service test. Which, after I had rescued it and a handful of dust bunnies with it, has alerted me to the fact that whilst I do clean the organ and the area around it, I really do need to clean under the pedals soon. It's not as easy as it sounds! I may need to bribe a small child with small hands to assist as the three young people known as the Organ Scholars are all taller than me now and their hands are now too large for the task. They were 3, 4 and 5 when I first knew them and their feet didn't reach the pedals! But they all loved coming to have a go on the organ. They still do, now they are 10, 11 and 12, and are very helpful with the odd jobs such as collecting up service booklets, hymn sheets and putting hymn numbers away. (They're never there in time to put them up, but that's more because I do them when I arrive an hour before the service rather than be nagged by the early arrivers that I've "forgotten" to do them. )

What with that bit of unintentional exercise, cutting the grass before garden waste bin day and another 2lbs of blackberries gathered for freezing, I'm quite surprised I've not dipped below 4 all day! It's been close, but not got there.

Reactions: hh1 and Antje77

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No. DVLA says between 4 and 5 you need to eat something but can drive, below 4 treat and wait. (45 minutes after going above 4 again, I think)

Netherlands doesn't have clear rules about it, I think.
It’s 45 minutes after hitting 5 following a <4 hypo, but other than that you’re right.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s 45 minutes after hitting 5 following a <4 hypo, but other than that you’re right.
Funny rule. What's wrong with being 4.5 for 45 minutes before driving? Oh well, at least it makes more sense than no rules, as we have (I think. I'm not even completely sure), but we still have a problem when causing an accident while low.

as struggling to even get on and off the loo! Sorry for the whinging feeling sorry for myself.
You ****** well deserve to feel sorry for yourself when your back is acting up like that! I feel sorry for you too, so keep whinging when needed. Have another careful hug from me.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Daphne917 i’m jealous of your three day working week.
I love the idea of retiring gradually.
A few things friends have found when cutting back on their hours
- make sure your employer has really cut back your workload and does expect you to do the same amount of work in 60% of the time make sure you don’t end up doing unpaid overtime for their lack of planning.
- be aware your husband has been used to his “me time”. A friend’s mother complained her husband got in the way when he retired after her. It’s not that she didn’t like having him around more of the time but they had always had time apart with working and then her retiring. It took a while to get to being together 24/7. Actually, my parents maintain separate friends and activities.

I am sure you have it all planned with couples lunches and girly lunches and time to do your hobbies and time to get out and ....
@helensaramay we made the decision about 18 months ago and we’ve both been looking forward to it. He was diagnosed with Parkinson’s last year so, as I can’t afford to retire completely, this is the next best thing with a plan to retire in 3 years time when he claims the state pension. Re work, although I work on my own contracts, I work in a team of 7 and we’ve already looked at the workload and it is being redistributed so happy with that. Definitely planned lunches etc and a cruise in 3 weeks so we’re going to be quite busy.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I did that horrific 30 mins verbal reasoning test for a job that I applied to and apparently I scored better than 60% of the people who had previously taken the test. I don't know if that's a good thing, but I guess so because I met their requirement for the job. But the sifting process will be another hurdle and a fitness test, my potato body isn't moving. :hilarious:

giphy.gif